Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 260 of 753 1 2 258 259 260 261 262 752 753
Gary Numan and his big band* : Living Ornaments '79

(*B Currie's contribution essential)

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by The Quiet Trees:
Talking of Goldfrapp and Nick Drake, Will Gregory has cited Drake, of all people, as being an influence on the new album, along with early Pink Floyd and The Wicker Man soundtrack. It's a new organic sounding turn for Goldfrapp which sounds highly interesting I must say, as I have found them a wee bit overrated and self important up till now.
I was lucky enough to 'discover' Goldfrapp when my daughter picked up on them on the release of Felt Mountain, which was cited as being among the favourites of Marc Almond at the time.
This is a superb debut album, and breaks a lot of new ground that I feel Goldfrapp have moved too far away from with subsequent releases.
Seen them live once with each album and they are VERY good.

I think they caught the bug of stardom and tailored Supernature definitely to reach that mass market.
very successfully too, but it lacks a lot of the credibility etc of the first album. Black Cherry falls somewhere in between.

From what I've heard I agree with you. The new material sounds more organic than recently and I feel there may be some hope for them after all

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Goldfrapp.

I don't like the new stuff. Maybe it will grow on me.

Just listening to "The knife" on myspace. Wow!
That's more like it. She sounds like Bjork, and that cannot be bad. (I LOVE Bjork)
"Heartbeats live" sounds like Bjork and Berlin.. but better!
Many thanks to "the quiet trees" for the heads-up on this one..

I got Felt Mountain when it came out - it was so refreshing.

I loved the dark electronica of Black Cherry, but, though it was fun, Supernature was too much of a sell-out for my liking.

That said, I don't like A&E at all, but I won't pass judgement until I've heard the whole album.

Just done playing "Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle" by Vince Clarke & Martyn Ware. Ambient, new age stuff.

And before that it was Bowie's Hunky Dory.

M
M
Kraftwerk:Radio-Activity

Numan's - 'Jagged' and 'Fragment 1' dvd.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Bradshaw:
In anticipation of Goldfrapp's new album, I've been listening to their new single 'A & E' (it's on my MySpace profile), and also 'Black Cherry'.

Slow songs for me at the moment, as I'm feeling rather slow myself... frown

I've got my ticket for Goldfrapp's gig at the Birmingham Symphony Hall in June, so if any of you are going, I hope to see you there!

Sarah laugh
Had a promo for "Seventh Tree" for a while now and it's excellent,better than Supernature imho

Bloc Party: Silent Alarm

still not sure what all the fuss is concerning this group confused

T
T
Today - In Mysterious Ways. In common with many others, this is my least favourite of the four eighties albums. But what competition it has in the other three. It's still an enduringly good album and once again I was thinking how undervalued it is. Bonus track Lumin De Lumine is a nugget that has also been unduly off the praise-radar. As is the building guitar freak-out of City Of Lights. Not so keen on Hiding In Plain Sight though, it's got that Simple Minds sound from when they began selling out into Stadium Rock and it demonstrates Foxx's mid-eighties feeling of directionlessness and pressures on him to be more radio-friendly.

Administrator
Administrator
Talking about going off the radar, today I have been right back to my childhood and put on a cassette recording of The Everly Brothers eek
My dad used to play this kind of thing all the time, and I respect it MUCH more now of course than I did in my formative years. wink

Superbly crafted songs in the old school style when simplicity was more respectable.
And I love the innocence of the romantic dilemmas.

"Take A Message To Mary" is particularly good, prickling the hairs on my neck.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 260 of 753 1 2 258 259 260 261 262 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.