Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 209 of 753 1 2 207 208 209 210 211 752 753
I'm on Cathedral Oceans II now... cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Quote:
Originally posted by E. G. Ekin:
[b] Today it's 'Duran Duran's Red Carpet Massacre'...

cool
Same for me.

How are you finding it? It was a pleasant surprise for me, and I've gotten quite addicted to it in a short time. [/b]
On first listen I like it, although because it's heading down the Electronica and R n'B path, I think it's more a grower, and perhaps not so immediate as 'Astronaut' was for some people. Saying that, the album seems to have the trademark DD signs; funky grooves, beats, ambience and lush instrumentation, banal lyrics ('Red carpet massacre, don't wanna hassle ya...' being a fine, yet typical, Le Bon effort), and obscure subject matter, so I'd say it will do fine. It's had good write ups overall from a lot of the music press, so that's also a positive sign.

We're seeing them at the Lyceum Theatre in London early December premiering the album. They did some shows recently on Broadway in New York where they included an Electronic set in the second half (all sequences and loops, a la JF and LG), so that should be quite interesting I imagine. It's good that the band are expanding their musical boundaries and not just pushing out the same old same old.

EG

I thought Astronaut was a great album, but it didn't break new ground for them. This new album clearly does. A very modern and upbeat pop album, and more synths than I was expecting.

The names Timbaland and Timberlake instantly turned me off when I first read about the album, but after hearing a few snippets, I thought I would give it a try. I had the faith that Simon and the other Durannies knew exactly what they were doing with their glitzy new collaborators.

The production style gives this album an edge, especially on "Nite Runner", "The Valley", "Tempted" and "Falling Down" - a classic Duran track! Only "Skin Divers" saw me heading straight for the skip button thanks to it's R&B/rap influence, which ruins an otherwise good track!!

It certainly grows on you and it is still a very DD style album - I hope it does well for them.

I've never seen them live - one of those bands I've always wanted to see though. Ticket prices put me off on the last tour frown

Burial 'Untrue'

Much darker than the first album which I didn't think was possible. Who the hell is he? Not that it matters when the music (is it music?) is this good.

The burnt-out 2-step garage ryhthms and dislocated voices are locked into London’s Dubstep movement but this isn’t dance music: vocals are shredded, strings left to rust in a deserted warehouse, percussion clangs like dockside chains, bass-lines wash in and out like the Thames, rimshots become gunfire.

If it was a list it would be 'Red Mecca', '2x45', 'Super Ape' 'Scientist Meets The Space Invaders', 'Roots Rockers Uptown', 'Rhythm and Stealth', 'Film One'…I can hear Perry’s Black Ark, Hannett’s AMS and Matt Elliott’s definitely in there somewhere too and the random snatches of south London conversation feel like 'Selected Ambient Works vol.1'–era Aphex Twin.

Bring a torch.

C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by myself:
Just received New Orders's Everything's Gone Green CD single on Factory Benelux. laugh
Chris
hey Chris .. where did you get that???? [/b]
From Amazon.de marketplace. It did fetch a bit. The CD single was made in Austria and came mint from an Austria outlet. Lucky to have found it but I did have to do some searching around the web. I eventually found it on the most obvious place. :rolleyes:

Chris wink

The Associates 'Fourth Drawer Down'

Duran Duran... a bit of everything, in particular their debut album.

Is there anyone out there?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Duran Duran... a bit of everything, in particular their debut album.

Is there anyone out there?
Anyone out there....woooooooo-oooooh! wink

Great track... probably my favourite Duran song actually. Or at least one of my favourites! wink

I've now turned Duran Duran off, and plugged Gary Numan in: live at Shepherds Bush '97

Page 209 of 753 1 2 207 208 209 210 211 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.