Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 203 of 753 1 2 201 202 203 204 205 752 753
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
[b] [b]Gary Numan: Ghost

I don't know what anyone else thinks of this live 2 cd set sound quality wise, but my copy sounds like a bootleg. The levels are all over the place & there is a bit of drop-out on 'Creatures'. My vinyl version doesn't have any flaws on it at all.

Apart from that, It's one of my favourite 'live' Numan albums. [/b]
That double cd was released some time after the original vinyl, problem was that in the mean time Beggars lost the master tape to the tracks for cd1. The compromise was, we had released the double live cd with the original master tape tracks on cd2 and an 'official booty' of tracks for cd1.
The 'official bootleg' tracks were from the monitor only, and not through the usual mixing deck like the orignal vinyl album. [/b]
Thanks for the explanation, Newvox. It makes sense now.

Alex, 'We Take Mystery' is definitely a highlight. The bass solo is excellent! 'My Shadow In Vain' is excellent also.

I think Val & Emma Chalmers were Numan's best backing vocalists, of all the girls he used.

To complete the Pearl Jam triple play today....now listening to No Code.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Thanks for the explanation, Newvox. It makes sense now.
Listen out for one of the crew pretending to 'burp' just before the start of 'Call Out The Dogs' too.

Played Midge Ure - 'Rewind' dvd this afternoon, not a bad sound all in all.
Obviously not like hes Ultravox days, but far better than hes acoustic sets.
The 'Sampled Looped......' is an improvment on the 'Rewind' even further IMO.

Quote:
Played Midge Ure - 'Rewind' dvd this afternoon, not a bad sound all in all.
Obviously not like hes Ultravox days, but far better than hes acoustic sets.
The 'Sampled Looped......' is an improvment on the 'Rewind' even further IMO.
Yeah, I have Rewind and it is pretty good. Can't complain though as it is the ONLY Midge dvd I have frown

not long in from work and tonights/this mornings choice is "Mutter" Rammstein

C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
And I'm revisiting a less familiar Eno album [b]Taking Tiger Mountain whereon he is pretending to be Julian Cope wink

I think it was during the sessions for this album, one of his most absurd 'lyrical' works, that Eno developed his Oblique Strategies.
It's certyainly bizarre enough and goes in many diferenet directions at the same time.
It's well worth bearing with because I too find the first three or four tracks a little ridiculous and then you play these again at the end because the album gets so good, and realise in fact that The Fat Lady of Limborg atc, and especially Mother Whale Eyeless bear the hallmarks of a creative genius. laugh
Contains also the very wonderful Third Uncle, effectively covered and turned 'into their own' by Bauhaus [/b]
All 4 vocal albums are worth seeking. All ahead of their time. Brian Eno's first 2 are as quirky as can be but there are techniques used in them that would fully come out to the fore on Another Green World. The track On Some Far Away Beach from Here Come The Warm Jets being one of them.

Taking Tiger Mountain ranks as one of his best, and 3 or 4 four tracks aside, there are some very influential tracks. Third Uncle being one of them as mentioned above. The True Wheel being another, selected by Nick Rhodes and John Taylor for their compilation re The Rum Runner. From the School of Bowie one would draw one's attention to The Great Pretender, one of the first synth pop songs.
Another favourite of mine is Burning Airlines.

Finally, we arrive at the title track at the end of the album, a piano led ballad with a soft bed of electronics, the whole concept emulated by John's Ultravox. This paved way to Another Green World his masterpiece and the rest is history as they say!

Chris wink

C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
After years searching for a Klaus Dinger album missing from my collection, a copy of Die Engel Des Herrn suddenly appeared on ebay. To my surprise it was a "Buy it Now" for 10 euros approx. It has been well looked after. smile

DEDH is perhaps his best effort since the last La Dusseldorf album, with the exception of La!Neu?'s Year of the Tiger. He does come up with one of his epic tunes,like Rheinita and Dampfriemen, on the title track. Tschus , in similar vein to Geld from Viva, choruses in brilliant fashion.

Always looking out for rarities from the synth era, in comes one which I had completely forgotten about. Before New Order's Substance, Factory had once released a mini LP titled 1981 - 1982. eek The CD version carries the same tracks, 5 in total with running time of 30 mins, not a mini LP? This time round,the CD version is described as an EP, perhaps more precise in definition.

Ceremony and In a Lonely Place are left out for the more upbeat/danceable tracks Temptation, Hurt,Everything's Gone Green, Procession and Mesh. All in their original form. A nice collection but....yes, we have here one of New Order's best jokes, where is Cries & Whispers or where is Mesh ? Factory couldn't decide which one is which and instead of intelligently including both, left one of them out. All they needed to do is to go to the Everything's Gone Green 12" and there they are. Like on Substance, Mesh is listed but the track playing is Cries & Whispers !!! When will they ever get it right :rolleyes:

Chris wink

i'm still not sure which one is mesh and which one is cries & whispers...

right now listening to 'the incredible sound of drum'n'bass mixed by goldie'.

Played the recent Midge Ure dvd today - 'Sampled Looped.....'.

And Queen - 'Queen' and 'Queen 2' on the poddy. smile

Quote:
Queen - 'Queen' and 'Queen 2' on the poddy. smile
You played what I never got a chance to play today. frown

Page 203 of 753 1 2 201 202 203 204 205 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.