Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#589 08/23/08 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sans Frontieres:
I think its brilliant that the JF solo albums are being remastered and re-released but I doubt that they will be released where I live. frown

Wish I lived in the UK...
I don't live in the UK either, but I've bought John's cds online from Townsend Records. I pre-ordered the 3 new releases from that site several days ago. smile

Looking forward to receiving them very much. laugh It's also great that both versions of 'Miles Away' are now officially released on the same cd.

#590 08/23/08 01:27 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Astara:
I pre-ordered the 3 new releases from that site several days ago.
In Mysterious Ways is not yet available to pre-order at Townsend unless you've pre-ordered it from another site.

Chris wink

#591 08/23/08 01:53 PM
Hi Chris smile - I did pre-order In Mysterious Ways from Townsend.

When you go to Townsend, if you type "John Foxx" in the search box, In Mysterious Ways doesn't appear on the first page with The Garden & The Golden Section albums. But click on "View All" & you'll see it's there.

Alternatively, type in Townsend & John Foxx into Google, click on the link & all of John's latest albums appear along with the album covers. smile

#592 08/23/08 01:57 PM
C
C
I've just done that.

Did not spot the "View all" button. shocked

Anyhow, it should have been in the summary section.

Chris wink

#593 08/23/08 02:03 PM
Yeah, I agree. smile It's easily missed if it's not on the first page.

#594 08/23/08 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Astara:

When you go to Townsend, if you type "John Foxx" in the search box, In Mysterious Ways doesn't appear on the first page with The Garden & The Golden Section albums. But click on "View All" & you'll see it's there.
Ah, so that's how you do it. I nearly bought an original version off eBay (my old one is a little worn now). Might as well get the new one instead.

#595 08/23/08 02:55 PM
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Rodney:
Does Paul's back cover artwork maintain the same theme as used on Metamatic, Metal Beat and A New Kind Of Man or has he taken a different approach? Personally, I've always been really fond of the original artwork for The Garden and its front and back cover photographs, the latter of which was sadly missed on the first Edsel CD release.
As far as I'm aware, the image you’re referring to...

... has appeared on all of the CD incarnations of The Garden.

It was on the back of the inlay (showing through the jewel-case) when it first appeared on CD (both for the UK release in 1993 and the Japanese release in 1995) and on the back of the card sleeve for the Japanese release in 2003. Although it wasn’t on the back of the inlay when Edsel released it in 2001, instead it was featured on the back of the booklet. It’s a very strong image, and there’s no reason why it would ever be omitted. And, you’ll be pleased to know that the forthcoming release will be no exception. As for its positioning... smile

Quote:
Well done on the extensive booklet, though. That's an unprecedented bonus, for sure ... you must have spent a 'bit' of time scanning and touching-up the images for that?!
Yes, a huge amount of time has been spent (by both myself and Paul Agar) scanning and retouching images for all of these forthcoming releases - so no change there then... smile

Quote:
any chance of another 2CD interview disc by John and Steve (as if what's coming isn't enough!) relating to The Garden ... Fusion/Fission perhaps? smile
You’ll be pleased to know that it’s already in-hand, and it’s being worked upon even as I type... wink

I'm not sure about the title Fusion/Fission though as it does have some very strong connections with the Metamatic album...

Quote:
Oh ... and the two tracks entitled Swimmer that were ear-marked for inclusion on The Garden were presumably Swimmer I and Swimmer II, that were eventually used as B-side tracks?
Yes, these two Swimmer tracks (Swimmer I and Swimmer II) are the ones which appear on the 7 inch and 12 inch versions (respectively) of the Dancing Like a Gun single.

Rob

#596 08/23/08 03:04 PM
Here's the link with the album covers that I like ... The Garden is currently the featured album. In Mysterious Ways & The Golden Section are then the next albums shown. smile

http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/artist.php?artist=John+Foxx

#597 08/23/08 07:43 PM
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
As far as I'm aware, the image you’re referring to has appeared on all of the CD incarnations of [b]The Garden. It was on the back of the inlay (showing through the jewel-case) when it first appeared on CD (both for the UK release in 1993 and the Japanese release in 1995) and on the back of the card sleeve for the Japanese release in 2003. Although it wasn’t on the back of the inlay when Edsel released it in 2001, instead it was featured on the back of the booklet. It’s a very strong image, and there’s no reason why it would ever be omitted. And, you’ll be pleased to know that the forthcoming release will be no exception. As for its positioning...[/b]
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, Rob. Yes, that's the back cover image I was referring to and, yes, I should have said, "...sadly missed on the back cover of the first Edsel CD release". Personally, I don't think the image looks quite right placed over the stained-glass window image, presumably from The Church booklet. I would preferred to have seen the image on the back cover with the tracklisting presented in the way it was on the original sleeve, as reproduced on the 1993 Virgin CD. But, I guess that's always the dilemma ... trying to balance between reinstating originally released artwork and tracklistings to appease the long-term fans who know the material intimately ... or trying to incorporate fresh ideas (or corrections) from designers and/or the artist themselves.

Quote:
Yes, a huge amount of time has been spent (by both myself and Paul Agar) scanning and retouching images for all of these forthcoming releases - so no change there then...
Your direct input into this is certainly appreciated, Rob. As has been said a number of times before, we can only imagine what may have become of these various releases otherwise.

Quote:
You’ll be pleased to know that it’s already in-hand, and it’s being worked upon even as I type... I'm not sure about the title [b]Fusion/Fission though as it does have some very strong connections with the Metamatic album...[/b]
Well, Swimmer then, perhaps?

When I met John and Steve in Sydney, I specifically mentioned to them both (as feedback) that I thought the interviews discs were worth their weight in gold (well, more than that, actually smile ). I actually listen to the interview discs more than the music! Oh, and has someone since advised John that it was actually Metamatic that was entitled Fusion/Fission at one point (since there was artwork produced for it), although for all I know, he may very well have intended to name The Garden as Fusion/Fission as well, although I can't imagine that fitting too well.

Quote:
Yes, these two [b]Swimmer tracks (Swimmer I and Swimmer II) are the ones which appear on the 7 inch and 12 inch versions (respectively) of the Dancing Like a Gun single.[/b]
Just checking ... so, thanks very much for the confirmation, Rob.

Cheers ...

#598 08/23/08 10:14 PM
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Quote:
Personally, I don't think the image looks quite right placed over the stained-glass window image, presumably from The Church booklet.
No, I totally agree. I always thought that that idea didn't really add anything to what had gone before.

Quote:
I would preferred to have seen the image on the back cover with the tracklisting presented in the way it was on the original sleeve, as reproduced on the 1993 Virgin CD. But, I guess that's always the dilemma ... trying to balance between reinstating originally released artwork and tracklistings to appease the long-term fans who know the material intimately ... or trying to incorporate fresh ideas (or corrections) from designers and/or the artist themselves.
The real problem is that album artwork was always originally designed to look good at twelve inches across, and now it has to work on something less than half that size. Moreover, this time around there are more than twice the number of tracks on The Garden to list than there were back in 1981.

Quote:
Your direct input into this is certainly appreciated, [b]Rob. As has been said a number of times before, we can only imagine what may have become of these various releases otherwise. [/b]
Thank you... laugh

Quote:
Well, Swimmer then, perhaps?
That's probably a little too close to Glimmer... wink

Quote:
Oh, and has someone since advised John that it was actually Metamatic that was entitled Fusion/Fission at one point (since there was artwork produced for it),...
Yes they have... wink

Quote:
...although for all I know, he may very well have intended to name The Garden as Fusion/Fission as well, although I can't imagine that fitting too well.
No, I can't imagine that working either... eek

Rob

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.