Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#569 08/20/08 11:42 PM
Excellent news!
They better be available over here. mad

#570 08/20/08 11:47 PM
Yes it is excellent news dear.

Glad your in an happy mood. :rolleyes: wink laugh

#571 08/21/08 01:01 AM
YEAH!!!!
And released just in time for my birthday(and nearly a year after the ICA gig smile )
A good excusse for me to buy the whole lot in one go me thinks!
Will townsend give me a discount for a 'bundle buy'? smile

#572 08/21/08 07:05 AM
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rodney:
[b] Well done, John, Steve & [b]Rob (and all others involved) ... I hope you got the artwork just right. wink :rolleyes: [/b]
It was all looking good when I checked it through again last night. As usual, I think that Paul Agar has done a great job with all of the artwork...

... there were two tracks entitled Swimmer which had already been ear-marked for inclusion on The Garden.[/b]
Cheers, Rob ... wink Does Paul's back cover artwork maintain the same theme as used on Metamatic, Metal Beat and A New Kind Of Man or has he taken a different approach? Personally, I've always been really fond of the original artwork for The Garden and its front and back cover photographs, the latter of which was sadly missed on the first Edsel CD release.

Well done on the extensive booklet, though. That's an unprecedented bonus, for sure ... you must have spent a 'bit' of time scanning and touching-up the images for that?!

I actually got 'into' John's solo music with The Garden, so I'm really looking forward to this release and all of the additional material that's been included ... any chance of another 2CD interview disc by John and Steve (as if what's coming isn't enough!) relating to The Garden ... Fusion/Fission perhaps? smile

Oh ... and the two tracks entitled Swimmer that were ear-marked for inclusion on The Garden were presumably Swimmer I and Swimmer II, that were eventually used as B-side tracks?

Cheers ...

#573 08/21/08 11:11 AM
C
C
Here's more "In the Glow" to wet your appetite. A discussion we had in the Ultravox Forum some "Foxx" years ago. Some excellent comments from Olaf, a full-time dj and Kraftwerk aficionado, and from Roger, now a full-time musician with new wave band Madame Sadowsky:

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000184#000001

Chris wink

#574 08/21/08 01:27 PM
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
Here's more "In the Glow" to wet your appetite. A discussion we had in the Ultravox Forum some "Foxx" years ago. Some excellent comments from Olaf, a full-time dj and Kraftwerk aficionado, and from Roger, now a full-time musician with new wave band Madame Sadowsky:

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000184#000001
I would really like to get this thread back on topic, and so I would like to address this issue (hopefully) once and for all. Ultimately, this thread is to discuss the forthcoming double CD rereleases of The Garden, The Golden Section and In Mysterious Ways, but it seems to have spent more time discussing an album that (to all intents and purposes) doesn't actually even exist.

I've read through the thread (over on EV from four years ago) that's been referenced here, and there's nothing there that can definitely confirm that In The Glow even exists. For a start, the track-listings are only conjecture. Olaf mentioned that he had read somewhere that a catalogue number had been allocated to In The Glow, but he was unable to confirm the source of that information. That's not particularly unique - in fact there are a couple of examples of that already happening, as there was supposed to be a Quiet Man EP (catalogue number IEP 13 ) and the track Someone Else's Closes was considered as being a single (with a catalogue number of WIP 6722 ) as a potential follow-up to the Slow Motion double single.

In an interview for the BBC programme Riverside, John had the following exchange (with Eddie Maelov) about an album he scrapped...

JF : No, what I do is actually I did another album and scrapped it 'cos I didn't like it very much to be honest.

EM : Now did you scrap a whole album?

JF : Yeah...

EM : Non of this appears on The Golden Section?

JF : One or two bits do, but I do that all the time because I record bits all the time and if I don't like them I throw them away.

A few years ago, I catalogued a large number of Johns 1/4", 1/2", 1" and 2" tapes - these were Original Master, Production Master and Multi-Track tapes. I checked though all of that information again last night, and nowhere is there a tape listed for the In The Glow album, nor is there another album (from around 1982) with a different working title.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
[b]Your Dress, believe it or not, is John's audition for Roxy Music or The Explorers. Such were the rumours that they appear to be correct.[/b]
Back in October 1983 John was interviewed by Richard Skinner for the BBC1 Radio Show Saturday Live...

RS: The end of the song Your Dress from The Golden Section, somebody observed to me that that sounds a little bit like Roxy Music at the end there, with the girls singing. Were you aware of that?

JF: Not at the time, not at all.

Which seems really strange if it been had written specifically as a way of auditioning to join Roxy Music.

Can we please now get back on topic? wink

Rob

#575 08/21/08 01:38 PM
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Just to let you all know that the release date for the double disc versions of The Garden, The Golden Section and In Mysterious Ways has just been pushed back to Monday the 6th of October, 2008. Glimmer is still set to be released on Monday the 22nd of September.

Rob

#576 08/21/08 01:49 PM
Thanks as always to John, Rob and everyone involved in bringing all these tracks together. If any 'new' tracks turn up after the release date, im sure it will be due to reasons like those of 'no-one driving' and 'plaza' on 'Glimmer'. Like 'Metamatic', i consider these three albums to be the difinitive releases, and im more than happy with the track listings.

#577 08/21/08 02:40 PM
F
F
Just goes to prove that even John is capable of blatent fibbing for comic effect (as anyone who has read or listened to his recent sleeve notes and/or lectures for "Tiny Colour Movies" will be well aware... )

Now, who was it played all the keyboards on Metamatic again...? smile
/ducks/

#578 08/21/08 02:54 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
I checked though all of that information again last night, and nowhere is there a tape listed for the [b]In the Glow album, nor is there another album (from around 1982) with a different working title.

Can we please now get back on topic? wink

Rob [/b]
We're on topic Rob. The previously unreleased tracks have us caught up in a whirl! Those early versions of The Golden Section tracks are hypnotic eek We've been waiting so long for these. We're gushing with excitement (no pun intended!). laugh

Rob what we have on offer is more than what we've ever dreamed of.

One request, perhaps an interview disc (together with the remaining 12" versions) on the making of these albums would be nice. I'm sure that John would again entertain us with his artistic voice and prose.

October the what? Have I said something wrong?!? frown

Chris (one of John's diehards)

PS Tapes can get deleted or lost eg Danny Mitchell couldn't find his original version of If I Was but found his original version of Call of the Wild, which I've heard. The late Billy MacKenzie discarded the original version of Perhaps and re-recorded the whole set again to the frustration of everyone, a copy of the original which I have. It's a small world. wink

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.