Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 186 of 753 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 752 753
Now I liked Heathen, but not straight away. I thought did did connect to his earlier writing style much more than albums like "Hours". But Heathen took a while to grow on me, with perhaps the exception of Sunday and Slow Burn. I would favour Heathen over Reality any day though.

I don't care much for his 60s stuff... it's nice to hear sa a one off... quirky and very much a musical picture of 60s London, which is quite kitsch.

Even on what might be regarded as his "worst" albums, there are some good tracks.

Has anyone seen a Bowie gig post 1980? I have.
This is a review of the show I was at:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE2DF103DF932A3575BC0A961948260

says it all, really frown

Thats the 'Never let Me Down' tour M

It was in those odd late '80s years again. This tour continued on from the 'Lets Dance' serious moonlight tour, which is why there were so many backing singers dancers etc.

Going 'commercial' can be good for the bank balance, but not so much for the artistic output sometimes. Before 'Lets Dance' bowie was still thought of as a very famous cult star!!

Don't think it says it "all" by any means. Critics get especially irritated when Bowie tries something different, or isn't stuck behind his guitar singing about Ziggy blinkin' Stardust!

1987's Glass Spider tour was though, a BAD idea! Not by any means a bad performance, but just generaly too cheesy and OTT. It's not surprising he gave it all up for a re-think after that.

I've seen Bowie live twice. Once in 1995 and again in 2003. Both shows were completely different, and clearly as good as - if not better in places - than some of his earlier tours from what I've seen, certainly in terms of musicianship and performance.

1995's Outside tour was stunning. PURE classic Bowie, without the all the overplayed hits.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Don't think it says it "all" by any means. Critics get especially irritated when Bowie tries something different, or isn't stuck behind his guitar singing about Ziggy blinkin' Stardust!
I was there. The review says it all. That show was one of the worst ones I have ever attended.
At least the reviewer was kind enough to leave out the part about the audience booing at times.

The late 80s sucked for David. That is true!

Why would people boo him though? It's not like he wasn't playing what they wanted to hear.

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Going 'commercial' can be good for the bank balance, but not so much for the artistic output sometimes. Before 'Lets Dance' bowie was still thought of a very famous cult star!!
That's absolutely it. When he recorded Let's Dance, he wanted to make a commercially successful, money spinning record. And it worked - so much so it threw him off track for a decade.

For me, Bowie's worst album is "Tonight" - and that one got to number 1 in the charts!!

He was suddenly as big as radio friendly acts like Phil Collins - not very Bowie! BTWN was the comeback he needed.

Although I grew up listening to Bowie's music, I didn't fully get into it until 1993 when he released Black Tie White Noise. Although not his best album, something about it appealed to me enough to fully convert me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
When he recorded Let's Dance, he wanted to make a commercially successful, money spinning record. And it worked - so much so it threw him off track for a decade.
Yeah, in the pre 'Lets Dance' interviews he stated something along the lines that he was starting a new contract that involved several albums to come.

Been playing Within Temptation - 'Mother Earth' today. I would take any bowie period over this. Its one of their early albums and sounds very eurovision. Highly not recommended. I have the cd / dvd edition as it was a 'bargin' price.

Listened to The Cure: Staring At the Sea - The Singles.

I forgot I had this one, having bought it at the time it was released.

I like "Staring At The Sea". Got some great songs on it. I've never been a big fan of the Cure, but that compilation appealed to me along with Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me.

Page 186 of 753 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.