Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 175 of 753 1 2 173 174 175 176 177 752 753
Kitaro: Toward The West

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Normall:
You're right about "Secrets".

The Human League has a gig in Stockholm 20th of December. Easy and cheap(ish) to go from Finland, especially if you live in Turku or Helsinki. Viking Line takes you very close to the venue (Berns/China Teatern).
tempting... i live in helsinki. by the way, mr. normall, are you going to see organ next month? finally after 25 years possibly the best finnish synth band ever plays one reunion gig!

"Secrets" is a fantastic album. Easily their best since Dare!. It's one of those criminally underrated albums that suffered a sad fate at its time of release through the demise of the record label. I'm sure it would have been massive had the funding been there.

But if people are still discovering it, then that's great! smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
"Secrets" is a fantastic album. Easily their best since Dare!. It's one of those criminally underrated albums that suffered a sad fate at its time of release through the demise of the record label. I'm sure it would have been massive had the funding been there.

But if people are still discovering it, then that's great! smile
True - but I don't think the League help themselves. I love the League, I really do but they are incredibly lazy and they don't do themselves any favours. I saw them on the 'Secrets' tour and it was the last straw for me; they'd spent nearly five years since 'Octopus' putting 'Secrets' together and then they went on tour and only performed TWO tracks from the new album! The rest of the set was the greatest hits set they'd been doing since the mid-90s! I thought that was a poor show on their part. They seem happy to destroy their own legacy with 'Back-in-the-80s' Butlins-style gigs these days. I loved them so much that I just can't go and watch! It's awful!

I also fail to understand in this day and age of music production why it's been six years since the last album.

It's strange to see the path your heroes have taken; John is constantly amazing and suprising us with new ideas and material, and the Human League...are probably playing Blackpool this Christmas. frown

The League have jumped on the Numan/Foxx bandwagon and are touring this December playing Dare! in it's entirety. How original!

I dearly love the band though, particularly the first 3 albums. Love Action is still probably my all-time favourite pop song. One of my earliest musical memories, and first singles.

The Secrets tour was the first time I'd seen the band live, so that was a special event for me. They performed 3 or 4 songs from Secrets: All I Ever Wanted, Love Me Madly, The Snake and Never Give Your Heart, if memory serves me right.

But why the hell haven't they recorded anything new?!

They're seriously in danger of becoming an amusing nostalgia act, which would be unfortunate, as they - or at least Phil - still has so much potential.

I tend to agree Beach. They are especially lazy internet-wise too, no official site or news service apart from Electronically Yours which was borne out of 'Secrets-online' but tends to cover a bit of everything, which ain't really a bad thing. There was an EY party bash thing in London last week 'celebrating 30 years of The Human League' but not one of em turned up! Don't get me wrong I lurve THL in all their various forms (including mid 80s Jam & Lewis..) but Oakey's 'aloofness' is quite annoying sometimes. But we know he's a decent bloke...

Back OT: currently listening to Retro Future .. at last! Thanks to Will, Ivan and all those involved.
great stuff although I didn't quite expect Here We Go to sound like that ... I'll get used to it.

All I heard live was ‘All I Ever Wanted’ and ‘Reflections’! You probably got the home coming gig!

Sadly, I think they are now a nostalgia act – it’s sad but that’s the way it goes. There’s lots of things they could do to prevent that, but it seems they don’t want to.

“And who are you going to be tonight Phill?”
“Tonight Matthew, I’m going to be The Human League”

Currently listening to: ‘Oblivion With Bells’ by Underworld

Yeah, that version of "Here We Go" took me by surprise the first time. I prefer the album version I think, but like all the Exo-arrangements, it makes a nice alternative.

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
You probably got the home coming gig!
Ah, well yes. Sheffield City Hall.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Yeah, that version of "Here We Go" took me by surprise the first time. I prefer the album version I think, but like all the Exo-arrangements, it makes a nice alternative.
yeah..as I said I'll get used to it, like the others.

Page 175 of 753 1 2 173 174 175 176 177 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.