Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 162 of 753 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 752 753
Yeah, "Dance" is one of Gary's most diverse and unusual albums. Very different to what had gone before.

It's an album which took me a while to appreciate, but I'm glad I persisted with it. "A Subway Called You" was always a favourite of mine.

'Dance' is my favourite Numan album by a mile. 'Cry The Clock Said' 'Slowcar to China'-just beautiful and heartbreaking. I haven't played it for ages because otherwise I'll just live in it for a few weeks.

It's one of those "late night" kind of albums for me.

Right! Listening to "Dance" now!

Even though it's daytime wink

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
I haven't played it for ages because otherwise I'll just live in it for a few weeks.
You have astutely summed it up, Garry.
Dance is breathtaking. I have not listened to it in a very long time and I guess now I will be making up for lost time.

Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
[b] Just finished listening to Gary Numan: Dance
Superb album,one of Numans underated albums,
"Slowcar to China" is sublime and "Cry,the clock said!"...5 mins plus before you hear a word sung...gets you all moody for the track!!.
and the remaster has the "Dance" track with the superb Numan lyric "And I could always take the pills and 'leave' but,you have to stay awake to stay away" [/b]
Got to agree with Will, there. I've always rated Dance. [/b]
Agreed. The lyrics on this album are right up there with Numan's best.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b] I haven't played it for ages because otherwise I'll just live in it for a few weeks.
You have astutely summed it up, Garry.
Dance is breathtaking. I have not listened to it in a very long time and I guess now I will be making up for lost time. [/b]
It's a stunning album. Still find it hard to be believe that a man capable of making such an exemplary album about love and betrayal could write the immature sixth-form dross that is 'Outland'.

Garry, I don't have Outland so I cannot make comparisons.

Regarding Dance: I found that the Eno and Japan influences, layered with Numan's own sound AND his haunting lyrics all worked together perfectly.
I am so sorry I forgot about this one. It is an underrrated and underappreciated work of art.

Thanks much, K.

Quote:
Garry, I don't have Outland so I cannot make comparisons.

You lucky, lucky girl!

I loved Numan; was obsessed! But this album just killed it for me. Many cite 'Machine and Soul' as his worst but 'Outland' wins it by oceanic distances. I hope you never, ever hear it. I have no interest in his current Ozzy Osbourne/NIN-phase either, but I will always love everything he did up until 'Outland'.

You know what? I don't mind Outland!! I cannot bear Machine and Soul, although there are a couple of reasonable tracks.

Outland is a bit of an oddment. It does have some ideas that work. Unfortunately they're outnumbered by ones that didn't.

Dream Killer is probably the best one on there, followed by the 1999 remaster bonus tracks, Shame, Icehouse and Tread Careful. Those 3 alone are better than anything from the actual album! But for me it's not his worst.

Then again it's not like I play it much either! Overall it is much wiser to jump straight from Metal Rhythm to Sacrifice!!

Page 162 of 753 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.