Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Brian #48661 08/10/16 08:59 AM
Really good event! I really enjoyed it but missed the company of the usual faces from this forum!

This wasn't just a gig, and had talks by three people on the subject of new towns and separation from home town.
John Grindrod gave a reading on his love of new towns from his book. Light hearted but very insightful, sadly he didn't cover the new town I was born and raised in!

Amy Liptrot also covered works from her newly award-winning book. She was incredibly open about personal battles that she had fought living in London whilst missing her homeland of Orkney. Maybe it is relevant to the evening that I do not actually miss my own hometown, despite living 11,000km away?

Finally, before The Magnetic North came on, Laura Barton gave her talk, peppered with lightness, keeping the audience fully engaged!

I didn't bring my wife as I thought that the talk/recital section would have been too difficult for her to keep up, which was true, but I really wish she had come as TMN were quite stunning. They commented that the volume had to be restricted due to the venue, but that did not hurt the performance in any way.
Pieces from Orkney and Skem were played, with string and wind accompanying them. Oh, and the drummer. He was the star of the evening for me. Tempo perfect and never intrusive. He did a fantastic job of injecting a unique energy into the set. Perhaps that is why Ms. Peel was dancing so much? Or was her dancing just a manifestation of how much of a good time she was having? They all looked so incredibly relaxed on stage.

The period pictures and film really worked well. I was torn between watching the visuals and watching the band! As a result, I probably could missed the best bits of both!

The band are a real delight to watch. I feel very lucky to have seen this event during my visit. I don't suppose there will be a Japan tour? wink

Now back to the real world in this Hertfordshire new town for another few days!

solenoid #48662 08/11/16 08:51 AM
Would that new town be Stevenage by any chance?

Thanks very much for your summary. Sounds like a very interesting event. Shame I couldn't be there. I will have to keep my eyes open for any future gigs/events and try and make more of an effort to attend.

Your Shadow #48663 08/11/16 10:59 AM
The official promo video for All that matters:-

https://youtu.be/foIJn4vqFEY

Brian

Your Shadow #48664 08/11/16 02:59 PM
Ah, very interesting for you to say that as when I saw the first pictures for the Skem album I actually thought it was Stevenage! But no, I am from the next big town down the A1 from there. Just North of Hatfield.

Brian #48665 08/11/16 03:02 PM
She is so busy right now, but all the stuff is really good. Must be exhausting for her, great for us though.

Last edited by solenoid; 08/14/16 12:52 AM.
solenoid #48666 08/12/16 08:12 AM

Lovely poste by our very own Rads..

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 08/12/16 08:40 AM.
Brian #48667 08/14/16 12:53 AM
If only I could get back for that!

Birdsong #48668 08/15/16 02:29 PM
Awwwww! Cheers Lads!

My first visit to the forum and I'm welcomed by this! Cheers!

grin

Any know where I might be able to track down a copy of the book version of this?

The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: sam.vox
Any know where I might be able to track down a copy of the book version of this?

There's a copy currently available for sale over at Discogs...

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3596752

Rob

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.