Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47848 07/26/15 07:20 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

There are a couple of reviews online already of the latest compilation album:

Record Collector:
a welcome reminder of how timeless Foxx’s early music is.
http://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/best-3

Flipside:
If you're going to start somewhere, anywhere and elsewhere, you could do far worse than have this Barnbrook-designed summarisation installed on your shelf.
http://flipsideflipsidereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/john-foxx-20th-century-noise-cd-review.html

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic

What's with the 'new master' of No-One Driving (single version)? (as per the Metamatic Records mail).

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

I think ALL the Metamatic material was remastered in 2014 from the 1979 tapes.
Not just the album...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic

Hate to be pedantic but it says: "Including 2014 Metamatic re-masters and new master of 'No-One Driving' (Singles Version)"

..meaning NO-D (single version) is not a 2014 remaster but ..something "new" in 2015!!?!?

The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: MemberD
Hate to be pedantic but it says: "Including 2014 Metamatic re-masters and new master of 'No-One Driving' (Singles Version)"

..meaning NO-D (single version) is not a 2014 remaster but ..something "new" in 2015!!?!?

The tapes that were used for the white vinyl Record Store Day version of Metamatic were remastered in 2014.

Some other tracks which are not part of the Metamatic album - but are nevertheless associated with it - were remastered at the same time. Where appropriate, those newly remastered tracks appeared on The Virgin Years : 1980 - 1985.

The single version of No-One Driving was also remastered in 2014, but it wasn't included on The Virgin Years : 1980 - 1985 as it didn't appear on the 2007 version of Metamatic. Therefore, 20th Century : The Noise includes a new master of No-One Driving (Single Version).

Rob

Thanks for clearing that up Rob!

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

I'd be interested to learn what people think of MUSIQUE ELECTRON...?

It's certainly an interesting piece that sits between styles, but - at least to my ears - doesn't quite seem to be one thing or the other.
Like John said to Stuart Maconie, it is one direction he could have gone in but never quite did. Fascinating experiment

I'm enjoying this compilation a lot. Steve has once again expressed his skill at track selection and running orders.

I don't recall ever being aware before of the connectivity between Miles Away and Slow Motion

C
C
Hi Martin, Musique Electron is certainly very melodic, almost using the traditional 'polka' style rhythm that the old 70s Yamaha's could churn out (to my ears anyway before I get blasted by the keyboard players out there!) Perhaps the sound didn't offer any direction for him to explore further - I was trying to pick out a familiar melody with another JF piece, but couldn't. Maybe the closest is some of the early Cathedral Ocean stuff, but then again....
Either way, it's a nice piece
Cheers

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.