Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A link to a background piece just posted on John's Twitter:-

I'm not sure if there is a way to navigate directly.

http://www.metamatic.com/mdiscdocs03/meta58cd0002.shtml

Brian

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Brian
A link to a background piece just posted on John's Twitter:-

I'm not sure if there is a way to navigate directly. http://www.metamatic.com/mdiscdocs03/meta58cd0002.shtml

You can navigate directly to it from the London Overgrown page, or from the Site Last Updated page - a link to which is on the right-hand of every page outside of The Forum… grin

Rob

A wonderful piece - it reads like a sister essay to the Electricity And Ghosts one: http://blog.thequietman.co.uk/?p=13

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Originally Posted By: RadioBeach
A wonderful piece - it reads like a sister essay to the Electricity And Ghosts one: http://blog.thequietman.co.uk/?p=13

Absolutely - that's one of my favourite pieces of writing.

Expanded from the sleevenotes which accompanied My Lost City

Rob

Cheers Rob,

I found the other way to it now.

Yes a great piece.

I like the reference to Debussy's Engulfed Cathedral which I'd long suspected was an influence which I'd first encountered on an old Tomita album.

Brian

Received my copy this morning.An album of atmospheric,melodic instrumentals.Many of the tracks would not sound out of place on the Cathedral Oceans albums.Lovely.

Maybe because two of them are on the Cathedral Oceans albums! wink

Oceanic II is a longer reworking of Oceanic from COIII.

At the moment, I can't place The Beautiful Ghost - pretty sure it features on another album under a different title.

Very much a dejavu kind of release... although it's nice to have this kind of ambient album without the Gregorian-style vocal pieces, which is what sets it aside from the Cathedral Oceans albums, though style wise, it sits perfectly alongside them (as well as My Lost City).

For me this album's merit lies in the artwork. Vivid, colourful imagery fills the booklet, and it's just sublime; as the cover art promises. Possibly John's best artwork package, for me personally - I think I prefer it to the music!

Administrator
Administrator

Excellent. It does look fantastic, doesn't it!

Makes me wonder why a hardback book was not considered for packaging, just to show these images off.

I reckon this is quiet possibly one of Foxx's most quintessentially 'complete' thematic albums for a LONG time

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Indeed - this as a hardback book package with more imagery in would have been special.

I think they're the best images John has produced for some time - it makes such a difference in technicolour, too.

Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted By: Alex S

At the moment, I can't place The Beautiful Ghost - pretty sure it features on another album under a different title.

Can't comment on that yet as I haven't heard the track, but have you also noticed track 10 is called IMAGINARY MUSIC...?

This title first came to my attention as far back as 2005 when John referred to it as one of two albums he was working on, the second of which we now know as Tiny Colour Movies.

For many years Foxx has dipped in and out of a body of work that has gone under various working titles, including Imaginary Music, Urban Motets, Grey Suit Music and Overgrown London. Some of this we also know as My Lost City.

I wonder if this new album is a realisation of some of those ideas and pieces?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.