Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Can I just say that it's really good to see The Forum being used again - it's been quiet for far too long...

Rob

It's ALL good! laugh

Through the Noise

P
P
Originally Posted By: Brian
I've had this for over a week and quite like it.

Other tracks remind me a bit of the 2001:A Space Odessey soundtrack which I'd only watched a few weeks ago for the first time in years.
Brian

Yes, there is a Ligeti vibe to "Dispersed Memory" with the sounds attaining the sort of massed, slightly atonal choral feel that Ligeti shoots for. I find it fascinatingly symmetrical that Ligeti used acoustic sources to resemble electronic textures in his twelve-tone compositions, while Ghost Harmonic do the exact opposite. The rest of the program is far less anious sounding, and is, for me, the most beautiful music from JF since "Mirrorball" or "Torn Sunset." Some portions recall the impact of side one of "Fripp + Eno's "Evening Star," which is a very high compliment in my book. The title track, though, does remind me of the chord progression of "Souvenir" by OMD! No problem there as it's one of my favorite singles from 1981, a year filled to bursting with favorite singles.

Benge and JF working with Diana Yukawa was an inspired thought. I would hope that there's more of this in the future. For Benge, it's a step far outside of what I expect from him [okay, I've not gotten any of his many non-Maths projects - apart from the excellent Wrangler album].

H
H
Originally Posted By: feline1

ANYWAYS - yes, basically it's extremely nice because instead of just slapping reverb and echo on a Juno 60 DCO synth (I mean honestly!)......

According to a recent interview, the main synth on London Overgrown was an old Yamaha DX7. Bloody digital rubbish! wink

http://arcana.fm/tag/metamatic/

T
T
Originally Posted By: Herbert the turbot
Originally Posted By: feline1

ANYWAYS - yes, basically it's extremely nice because instead of just slapping reverb and echo on a Juno 60 DCO synth (I mean honestly!)......

According to a recent interview, the main synth on London Overgrown was an old Yamaha DX7. Bloody digital rubbish! wink

http://arcana.fm/tag/metamatic/

I note your winking icon of course. Eno used the DX7 a fair bit I seem to remember. I borrowed one for about a week in the mid-nineties and boy what a week that was.

A DX7!? Really!? Argh!

Right...I'm starting a bonfire in Trafalgar Square Saturday night - feel free to post all your copies of London Overgrown to me and I'll ensure incineration laugh

Blimey - never knew that, cheers Herbert. Once I've recovered and read the leaflet for various help centres the nurse gave me, I'll give the album another listen grin

C
C
Wow! I'm back! Been out in the foxxostratosphere for a few eons but now refueled and ready to go!
ERM...I'd just like to say, love codex, agree that title track sounds like souvenir as well.
So what's been happening while I've been away? Did I leave the gas on?
Cheers

Administrator
Administrator

Now is an interesting time for me to come out and once again declare my preference for London Overgrown over Codex...

So don't burn those old DX7s just yet, John...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
laugh

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.