Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Dear Foxxheads...

There's been talk and off here of a 'getting together'. For a long time now I have had the idea of setting up and hosting something like that - a Foxxgate or fan convention type thing.

A proper, organised event rather than just meeting up in a pub.
Tickets and everything...

I have a venue and I can put on something quite unique with a bit of help and favours from a few contacts etc...

Before I run ahead and make plans, I'd like to check out whether or not such a thing is viable because - and here's the 'catch' - it would have to be in Southampton.

Would people be interested?
What would you expect an event like this to look like?
What would a FoxxFest have to offer / feature?
Would you pay to come?

I have a community centre available to me, with five different sized rooms, including a large hall. Adjacent to this is a 150 yr old Victorian church that is perfect for a large scale presentation of Cathedral Oceans - I have put it on a few times myself in recent years.

The day could include showing various other films (B-Movie, Analogue Circuit etc...) a live band or DJ sets, merchandise sale / exchange, perhaps a gallery of artworks, media / archive to view / browse.
Different Foxx music in each, creating different atmospheres?

Food, beer, wine etc

That's the kind of 'do' I am considering, which I could put on with the help of an Event Management company I know who would supply resources, kit, security etc at mates rates.

Like I say, it's an idea that won't go away - but the venue is part of the deal. If we had to hire somewhere, the cost would go up considerably and someone else would have to help me organise it, pay and travel to meet / plan etc

Thanks

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
T
T
It has great potential Martin.

Conventions (thinking sci-fi here) tend to have special guests for Q&A's and such. I don't envisage we all turn up looking like John Foxx but if that's someone's bag why not?

I have enjoyed every Foxx gathering/event I have attended so would I attend?

Yes.

Would I pay?

Yes.

(Even without special guests)

I think the ideas you have outlined are great, and would provide a well-balanced event. Someone could read from The Quiet Man perhaps (the relevant permissions all secured of course). Fan films could be shown (again with relevant permissions). Are there any specific John Foxx tribute bands around? Meta and the Matics? The Grey Suits? The Stars on Fire?

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Cheers Mark laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
H
H
It's a decent idea but to be honest I doubt there are enough of us to make it financially viable. Given how quiet it's been on this forum in recent months, never mind hiring a venue, we could probably all fit round the same table down your local!

Seriously though, a John Foxx fans convention would only work if the scope were widened; say if you made it an 1980s synthpop convention for fans of similar acts such as Thomas Dolby, Numan, OMD etc. Or maybe bring it up to date with some of John's more recent collaborators - Budd, Guthrie, Gordon, et (though even these are hardly mass appeal artists). Or - playing the devil's advocate here - an Ultravox convention. smile

Oh and logistically to maximise the appeal, I reckon it would have to be London-based.

All the same, it's a fair suggestion and good luck if you decide to proceed with it!

I have to agree with the previous message. I think it would be a good idea if enough people were up for it and made it financially viable. However purely based on Foxx fans I think numbers would be limited. I wouldn't see the point of travelling to Southampton to rattle around a room with about ten others.It would be great if something worthwhile could happen though.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Good points both. John sells about 1000 copies of most releases these days, often less I think

But you also have to bear in mind that this forum is no longer representative of most active Foxx fans.
The various Facebook groups attract over 1500 people, and both the Metamatic Twitter feed and the official John Foxx also have over 1000 followers each.

By having the event in a venue that I manage day to day, there are no costs to me for hire of space.

I am also personally prepared to underwrite the cost of event management and security because I think this SHOULD happen and it WILL work. Ticket prices will be based on that as, obviously, its going to be a not-for-profit venture

Hi Martin,
Sorry to take so long to respond!

Would it be a good idea to hold such an event? Yes, I think it would, and you hit the nail on the head by mentioning the fanbase outside of this forum. I'm always pleased at the turnouts for his live events, as well as enjoying the community that we have here.

From a personal perspective, and due to travel limitations imposed on me, I would be much more likely to attend a FoxxFest that was on the same day as a live event (either a gig by the man himself, or something like the BFI event, or even TCM, OR Cathedral Oceans in a Cathedral-like location with a live portion added to visuals). The live bit and the FoxxFest doesn't need to be in exactly the same location, but logistically the closer the better. I would prefer it to be London based as my UK base is near there. If Southampton, then timing would need to be considerate of return journey times, or extra cost of accommodation. These are considerations, not necessarily show stoppers.

Would I pay? Sure, how much would depend on the event content of course. To be clear, I wouldn't object to it being non-profit, as the amount of effort needed to organise events is huge and very tiring.

Ideas to attract people (well, you have probably thought of these already, but...)?
1) Maybe a limited release of something that is only ever going to be available at the event.
2) Exchange opportunities for trading memorabilia, etc.
3) Casual cafe/bar area with slide show of Foxx pix from across the fan base and archives (with appropriate background music)
4) Tribute band featuring Dennis Leigh, Chris Allen, Warren Reginald Cann, William Lee Currie, and Robin Simon celebrating the 36th(?) anniversary of the Release of Systems of Romance.

Good idea - hope it gets some traction.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Thanks - I appreciate your input.

Some points I had considered, others I hadn't. An appearance / performance from the main man would be great, but seems unlikely.
Although I haven't asked. And maybe the live CO / TCM or even Evidence OTT could be rolled out...?

Wow. Perhaps I will at least ask...

But leaving that aside, momentum is gathering and I can tick a majority of all the boxes described in everyone's posts

Mx

One more thing that would appeal to me personally would be if a local hi-fi shop was keen to demo really good equipment by playing tracks from JF's catalogue.
It would probably need to be in a sub-room at the event to keep out unwanted noise but the appeal would be to hear his music as it really should be. Might persuade me to buy some equipment again!!

There could be a "hot seat" where the sound is optimal, and the tracks being played could be by participants of the event selecting from a list of available stuff, and being given the hot seat when the track they request comes on.

Sounds good to me, but I guess we may have to find a hifi shop owner who is also a Foxx fan!

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

I have a contact at a company called 'Richer Sounds'...

that idea might just be worth looking into.
I am meeting with the event management team I know this evening to clarify a few points and establish a break-even cost. I have already found a source who will underwrite the event, but this will hopefully not be necessary if I can pitch the ticket price fairly and attract enough people.

Somewhere in the region of 150 people committed would be my baseline I think.
Question is, how realistic is that?

Very exciting - I remain convince this has legs

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.