Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
Originally Posted By: MemberD
Can't wait.

But yes, I read it was first available at the Bristol gig on said date.

It was certainly there that night, as was I to buy it. I seem to remember Bristol was the first gig of that tour so you might be right.

The EP was sold at the Scala in London on Wed.17th September too. But I bought my copy (and Steve's and Motoshi's - a kind guy who run a japanese fan site) before the gig at Sister Ray( the old shop). I got a poster of the Crash & Burn tour there,too.

It is a great EP and it is a special one for me 'cause I managed to got it signed by John and Louis for me and the other both guys. The pre concert meeting was great . Louis came to that meeting too and had a pint with us - I got Louis autograph at the bar. John's autograph I got next day at Sister Ray 'cause he made a signing session there. It was the first time I met John in person. The first ever pre concert meeting and the first meeting with John and Louis - I think you can imagine it was a really great time for me. Many meetings followed since that time but this one is the outstanding one for me.

It was a great idea to release that EP with the 3 extra tracks and a nice bonus to the album. All 3 tracks are re-released on Crash and Burn deluxe - but this EP is a wonderful collectors item.

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Cheers for the extra info and your stories guys.

Yes, a valuable artifact indeed.

The single edits of Drive and Furniture didn't re-surface again until Metatronic.

T
T
I found my copy of the Drive EP in a branch of Virgin.

Before the gig at the Que Club, Birmingham, in 98, I went for a pint with my mate at The Crown, just up the road. To our great surprise who should come in and sit at the table next to us but John and Louis! We had a good little chat.

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Busy day tomorrow, so lest I forget....

I have it on good authority that John Foxx's second solo LP The Garden was released on 25th September, 1981.

A new, radical departure from Metamatic, it was a disappointment for some and a welcome return to a more organic sound for others.

Smash Hits writer and reviewer Ian Cranna had this to say:

The Garden spent six weeks in the UK Top 40 album chart peaking at no. 24.

What are your memories, pals?

Note: interestingly, subsequent solo albums The Golden Section and In Mysterious Ways were also released during the month of September but I don't have exact dates.
Anyone?

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Note: interestingly, subsequent solo albums The Golden Section and In Mysterious Ways were also released during the month of September but I don't have exact dates.
Anyone?

Yes, maybe it's because it's his birthday month ... cool

What are your memories, pals?

I can't be sure -- discogs isn't much help -- but I think The Garden came out a bit later in Canada. Our version had a different cover, track sequence, and "This Jungle" instead of "Fusion/Fission." 1981/82 was my first year at university and September '81 was when I finally found Ultravox!, Systems of Romance, and the Canadian John Foxx compilation LP we got in place of Metamatic. As I recall, it was a month or two later that I got Rage in Eden and another couple of months at least before I got The Garden.

Though I liked the Metamatic era songs I'd heard, I wasn't disappointed that The Garden was like a more lush and romantic follow-up to Ultravox's Systems of Romance. The only song I never warmed to was "Pater Noster," which to my ears still sounds kind of silly. But overall, though I liked Midge Ure's Ultravox, I liked The Garden a lot more than Rage in Eden. I still think of it as one of the highlights of John's discography.

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
John & Louis' Live From A Room (As Big As A City) was given general release early October 2006, after being on sale during the tour in July.

Ditto for The Hidden Man.

Time for another interview disc?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.