Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Originally Posted By: Brian

One stand out I do like is the Empty Avenues & Dark Corners remix though.

Brian

Pye Corner Audio - I've heard a few pieces by him and I've liked every one. Think I'll have to pick up the Sleep Games album soon

Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
After a few listens I'm now getting the subtleties.On vinyl copy anyway.

My digital copy had some digital glitch noises at the end of a couple of tracks.

Psychedelic Beatles in places,70s Jean Michel Jarre textures in places,CR78 drum machine on one track. Business as usual then? No.

This collaboration comes at it from different angles in different styles.

Still my favourite on the whole release is the Pye Corner Audio mix of Empty Avenues closely followed by The Right Path.

Listen to the Empty Avenues remix here in its entirety :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt417UzTDJk

Brian

While I wait for my copy, I might as well talk Ghost Box for a bit. Anyone else heard much of their stuff? There's considerable differences between something like Broadcast and the Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age, which feels to me like it's at the outer edges of the core Ghost Box sound, and From a Distant Star by Belbury Poly, which seems like one of the most straightforward examples of what Ghost Box is about.

My reaction to some of it may be a little different because I'm Canadian and the Ghost Box esthetic strikes me as being very very British, so although intellectually I can make sense of articles about the hauntological sound, etc, I sometimes feel I'd have a stronger response if I'd spent the early 1970s watching British kids shows and science programs and such. So much Ghost Box stuff is reportedly inspired by UK TV library music, the Radiophonic Workshop, etc. Recently I noticed that there were episodes from an old TV version of Alan Garner's The Owl Service on youtube, and my first reaction to the opening credits was, those Ghost Box people must be familiar with this.

All to get to the point that they do some retro synth stuff, John does some retro synth stuff, there's occasional psychedelia references on both sides, they both have a lot of conceptual underpinnings to their music, they share a few reference points, but they still have some significant differences. That makes me eager to hear this. And I'm curious about the reactions to this project from people who've never heard of Ghost Box before.

(For the record, my single favourite bit of Ghost Box so far is the Hintermass single The Open Songbook.)

I received my CD today.I really enjoyed my first listen.The tracks are all pretty slow and with a mellow vibe. A sense of nostalgia mixed with psychedelia.Typical Foxx themes - walking in cities,down avenues,wearing a grey suit etc. Great stuff!!

T
T
Everyone should be familiar with The Owl Service. cool Although I can't comment on your point Steve because I don't know any Ghost Box stuff besides Empty Avenues. That arrived today and I'm still digesting it.

Last edited by The Quiet Trees; 09/07/13 04:41 PM.
This is fantastic. Beautiful, warm late 70s style synths. Autumn colours and hazy sun. Nicely chilled.

John's vocals are excellent.

This popped up on eMusic and I decided I couldn't wait for the CD to show up. I'm not disappointed. It's closer to the Maths sound than the European Splendour EP but still has its own character. There's a warmth that started coming back with the Maths occasionally but it's in full flow here.

In this era when too many people think put out albums that are overlong and full of people, John's given us two CDs in quick succession that leave me wanting more.

Yes I really like it too and for the moment has the edge over ES, but that's just personal taste.
Clearly the Belbury quasi-analogue sound is well suited to John's recent sonic direction as undertaken with The Maths.

Empty Avenues (track) should've been a proper single..if such a thing has any meaning anymore.

I like the way the gold old 'grey suit' concept has come around again in a somewhat lighter form this time in 'Suit'.

Agreed. It sits nicely alongside John's psychedelic-influenced work.

Originally Posted By: Brian
After a few listens I'm now getting the subtleties.On vinyl copy anyway.

My digital copy had some digital glitch noises at the end of a couple of tracks.

Psychedelic Beatles in places,70s Jean Michel Jarre textures in places,CR78 drum machine on one track. Business as usual then? No.

This collaboration comes at it from different angles in different styles.

Still my favourite on the whole release is the Pye Corner Audio mix of Empty Avenues closely followed by The Right Path.

Listen to the Empty Avenues remix here in its entirety :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt417UzTDJk

Brian

Yeah my download version has a glitch or two as well.

Not spoiling my enjoyment of it at all though - and yeah I confess; it's got played a lot more than ES so far.

Last edited by RadioBeach; 09/09/13 10:41 AM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.