Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Nisei #46467 07/13/13 10:21 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Nisei
Someone on the Ultravox website forum was talking about the 6'22" version of Endlessly 1982. It's a shame this version hasn't been released onto CD as of yet. But since Rob hasn't heard of it before perhaps the tape got lost somehow?

I have heard it... and this is what I said on the Ultravox site...

The Megamix compilation album (302 293-370 [Vinyl] / 502 293-372 [Cassette]) lists the track as being 7'40" on the sleeve. This is undoubtedly a reference to the standard extended mix as featured on the UK Twelve Inch Single. It's been a while since I actually listened to the Megamix album itself - so I would have to familiarise myself with it again. However, I can confirm that the label does indeed list the track as being 6'22" - but it also says that the track was published in 1983 and was produced by Zeus B. Held, which would've been more in-keeping with the UK Twelve Inch Single.

I now want to listen to the track again and compare it against the versions which have been released onto CD to see where the differences (if any) are.

Rob

Rob Harris #46469 07/13/13 10:34 AM
It's a totally unique version. The first half is the 1982 7" version but when the 7" version fades out, this one kind of starts again. I first thought it was simply a cut and paste job but there are definitely parts in there which are different from the first half of the track.
I have digitised my vinyl version so let me know when you want it to verify.

Nisei #46470 07/13/13 11:37 AM
The Archive
The Archive
It's a totally unique version. The first half is the 1982 7" version but when the 7" version fades out, this one kind of starts again.

So, the 'first half' of the track is effectively nothing more than the original single version from 1982?

I first thought it was simply a cut and paste job but there are definitely parts in there which are different from the first half of the track.

Ah, but are they different to the parts which have been subsequently released elsewhere?

It's a shame this version hasn't been released onto CD as of yet.

Why is it a shame? From what you've said, it's effectively the original single version with some other bits added on after a fade-out. It sounds to me that the other extended versions of Endlessly which have been released (on The Golden Section and Metadelic) are far more coherent.

I have digitised my vinyl version so let me know when you want it to verify.

I should also be getting my copy of the Megamix album digitised - but until then I'd certainly appreciate hearing your copy.

I may be jumping the gun here, but it sounds like this version was ditched simply because it's first half did nothing other than repeat the original single version.

Rob

Rob Harris #46471 07/13/13 12:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris
So, the 'first half' of the track is effectively nothing more than the original single version from 1982?

That's correct

Ah, but are they different to the parts which have been subsequently released elsewhere?

Absolutely

Why is it a shame? From what you've said, it's effectively the original single version with some other bits added on after a fade-out.

Well, we're talking about 3 extra minutes here.

I should also be getting my copy of the Megamix album digitised - but until then I'd certainly appreciate hearing your copy.

Coming up. I'll send you a wetransfer link.

I may be jumping the gun here, but it sounds like this version was ditched simply because it's first half did nothing other than repeat the single version.

Well, I never found the different versions of Endlessly 1983 to be that that different from eachother, just different timings. Yet, most of them have been re-released on compilations so why not this one?

Last edited by Nisei; 07/13/13 12:03 PM.
Nisei #46472 07/13/13 12:16 PM
The Archive
The Archive

Coming up. I'll send you a wetransfer link.

Got that thanks - listening to it even as I type...

I may be jumping the gun here, but it sounds like this version was ditched simply because it's first half did nothing other than repeat the single version.

Well, I never found the different versions of Endlessly 1983 to be that that different from each other, just different timings. Yet, most of them have been re-released on compilations so why not this one?

This really isn't that different either - there's a very abrupt join (on the version you've just sent me) at around the 3'48" mark, and the fade-out is very swift.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is that I go and review this in conjunction with the other mixes of Endlessly to try and get a definitive answer.

Rob

Rob Harris #46500 07/22/13 12:11 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Well finally my Endlessly wiki-page was Orwellianly removed and erased from history . .and only Big Brother knows why.

So I suppose if anyone wants full info on this release they'll have to look it up here!

MemberD #46501 07/22/13 05:27 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Really? WTF is that all about??

Bad news - sorry to hear. Thanks for all your hard work and research

Birdsong #46502 07/23/13 09:06 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Birdsong

Really? WTF is that all about??

Bad news - sorry to hear. Thanks for all your hard work and research

Quote:
Delete as lacking evidence of in depth coverage in independent reliable sources.

Wikipedia, Schmikipedia...

MemberD #46503 07/23/13 03:45 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Lacking evidence from reliable sources?

Ha! ha! ha! W*nkipedia is not the place for original research then.
Still, all good for metamatic.com as we develop this site to be the source of all reliable Evidence.

Bonkers.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
MemberD #46518 07/31/13 11:33 AM
Originally Posted By: MemberD
Well finally my Endlessly wiki-page was Orwellianly removed and erased from history . .and only Big Brother knows why.
So I suppose if anyone wants full info on this release they'll have to look it up here!

Fortunately you have a backup of the whole thing on your hard drive so not all of your hard work's gone to waste.
Unless...

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.