Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MemberD #46297 06/07/13 02:05 PM
F
F
Originally Posted By: MemberD

Don't forget the change in producer which differentiates the 1982 and 1983 versions, and which is fairly fundamental to the sound.

Musicians: am I right in saying that the 1982 has no proper 'bass' to speak of?

Yeah, although it's the same multi-recording - what Zeus "B" Held appears to have mostly done is dubbed on a "rollicking" new Simmonds-tastic drum track, sequenced bass and arpeggiator squirrelism.

And yeah, the 1982 original doesn't really have a dedicated bass instrument - for most of the track, John's just making use of the fact that his clumpy-bumpy drum-machine-loop has bucketloads of bottom end (Prince's "Kiss" did a similar thing a year or two later) plus he has a acoustic rhythm guitar chugging away behind everything - and then later on, of course, there's the cello-style melodic riff which goes down pretty bassy too ... so all in all I think it's a sensible production decision on John's part not to have some extra boring bland bass synth puttering along under all that. It would only clutter things.

feline1 #46393 06/25/13 06:46 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

Last edited by MemberD; 06/25/13 06:47 AM.
feline1 #46394 06/25/13 09:14 AM
H
H
Originally Posted By: feline1

Don't forget the change in producer which differentiates the 1982 and 1983 versions, and which is fairly fundamental to the sound.

Yeah, although it's the same multi-recording - what Zeus "B" Held appears to have mostly done is dubbed on a "rollicking" new Simmonds-tastic drum track, sequenced bass and arpeggiator squirrelism.

And yeah, the 1982 original doesn't really have a dedicated bass instrument - for most of the track, John's just making use of the fact that his clumpy-bumpy drum-machine-loop has bucketloads of bottom end (Prince's "Kiss" did a similar thing a year or two later) plus he has a acoustic rhythm guitar chugging away behind everything - and then later on, of course, there's the cello-style melodic riff which goes down pretty bassy too ... so all in all I think it's a sensible production decision on John's part not to have some extra boring bland bass synth puttering along under all that. It would only clutter things.

I never realised that the 1983 Endlessly is the same multitrack as the 1982 one; I always thought it was completely rerecorded. John's vocals seem a lot clearer and strident on the 1983 version(s); are they rerecorded or has Zeus B Held simply mixed them higher and added a touch of compression? And I always thought the 1983 version was faster, though this might be an illusion due to the driving Simmons-tastic drums.

For all that, time has not been kind to the 1983 versions; the drums and digital synths now sound horrendously dated whereas the 1982 version just sounds kind of timeless; no-one (not even John) has done anything like it since!

T
T
Originally Posted By: Herbert the turbot
Originally Posted By: feline1

I never realised that the 1983 Endlessly is the same multitrack as the 1982 one; I always thought it was completely rerecorded. John's vocals seem a lot clearer and strident on the 1983 version(s); are they rerecorded or has Zeus B Held simply mixed them higher and added a touch of compression? And I always thought the 1983 version was faster, though this might be an illusion due to the driving Simmons-tastic drums.

For all that, time has not been kind to the 1983 versions; the drums and digital synths now sound horrendously dated whereas the 1982 version just sounds kind of timeless; no-one (not even John) has done anything like it since!

Hmm, ok, that's fair enough. Personally though I've always preferred the 1983 version - the sitar might be my bugbear on the 1982 version. Also I heard 1982 later which I'm sure contributes to my preference.

Administrator
Administrator

Well for me it's the 'original' 82 version every time, along with the extended remix of that via The Golden Section 2 x CD release (Track 16)

It won't surprise anyone to say how much I love John's more psychedelic, left-field and overlooked 'other' music

Birdsong #46403 06/26/13 07:41 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

For me it's the 1983 versh beacause YOU CAN 80s DAD-DANCE TO IT! .. which was the whole point of re-recording right? ..getting it in -line with contemporary acts such as Wham!, Kajagoogoo and ... Bananarama!

MemberD #46409 06/26/13 09:11 AM
I prefer the '83 version. Sure it has dated but I think the '82 version has as well. The drum machine doesn't sound good to me on the '82 version. Too simple. I think real drums on both versions would have worked better. I would like to see John Foxx & The Maths have a go at this live.

Your Shadow #46437 07/04/13 11:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Your Shadow
I think real drums on both versions would have worked better.

The '82 extended version has real drums...

Nisei #46439 07/06/13 02:44 PM
Of course. I forgot about that version. To me,it does sound better for them.

Your Shadow #46464 07/12/13 03:30 PM
Someone on the Ultravox website forum was talking about the 6'22" version of Endlessly 1982. It's a shame this version hasn't been released onto CD as of yet. But since Rob hasn't heard of it before perhaps the tape got lost somehow?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.