Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MemberD #46264 06/06/13 08:42 AM
R
R
... and congratulations on your good in-depth work on Wikipedia. It's certainly easier for others to contribute to the pages once they're set-up by those who have manoeuvred through all of the Wikipedia 'high-jumps' and 'hoops' that are constantly popping-up in front of you.

I must admit, I've contributed quite a bit to various Wikipedia pages myself, but only when I think I know more than the original author or subsequent contributors!

The "proper official discography" will be available on this very site once young Rob Harris gives up his day (paying) job and becomes a full-time volunteer employee of the Foxx Metacorporation Inc. ... either that or when he qualifies for the retirement pension ... which ever comes first. whistle

Oh, and I assume that the version of Endlessly included on the Metadelic compilation is either the 'psychedelic' 1982 single version or The Golden Section 4':18" version (rather than the more obscure 3':35" 7-inch single edit)?

MemberD #46265 06/06/13 08:52 AM
Administrator
Administrator

The "proper official discography" is coming. That's exactly why we are putting ourselves through this nightmarish headache process!!

It will be about as extensive as it's possible to get.
At least while we still have hair left!!

And as Rob said earlier, we will be hoping that all the efforts and research by members of this forum can go into helping us out so that metamatic.com is the definitive resource for all the detailed and specific information.

Info on the forum so far is really helpful - thanks everyone -and we are keen to get things summarised, collated and into the public arena as soon as we can.

Like you said though, it's the 'Quirks' that have made a logical framework challenging to come up with - we don't know what we don't know!!
We are trying to build the site map in such a way that 'new' formats / versions etc can be added without too much hassle.

You can bet your a*se that it will be the things we miss that people notice... and so we need a resource in place so that comments and info can be fed in seamlessly.

And it would all be so much easier if John didn't keep gigging and recording new material!

Endlessly, even ;D

Last edited by Birdsong; 06/06/13 08:57 AM.
Rodney #46266 06/06/13 09:24 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Rodney
... and congratulations on your good in-depth work on Wikipedia. ....

Oh, and I assume that the version of Endlessly included on the Metadelic compilation is either the 'psychedelic' 1982 single version or The Golden Section 4':18" version (rather than the more obscure 3':35" 7-inch single edit)?

The version of Endlessly on Metadelic (disc one) is indeed the 1982 versh, clocking in at 3:51 .

..and for the record not everything John Foxx on wiki is by moi, but I'm sure you know how to work out what is and what isn't (User-id.: Metamatica)
wink

Last edited by MemberD; 06/06/13 09:25 AM. Reason: wiki bit
MemberD #46267 06/06/13 09:32 AM
I was reading your Wiki entry for Europe After the Rain this morning guv - Good Work Fella!

I can't imagine what scale/horrors/labyrinths Rob, Martin and your good self are putting yourselves through - good luck with it though.

BTW - I notice the Art of Noise mix of Enter the Angel isn't mentioned on there - why's that? I like those chunky AoN drums and the way they stretched Foxx's vocal over Anne Dudley's 'HEY!' on the casette single is amazing - 22 minutes in length! Blimey. wink laugh

MemberD #46270 06/06/13 10:37 AM
Administrator
Administrator

It's all great!

I've seen that cover version before but didn't know the backstory, so thanks for that.
I don't actually like it at all, but that's by the by

Except that Metadelic is 2013, not 2008 wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Birdsong #46271 06/06/13 12:37 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Birdsong

The "proper official discography" is coming. That's exactly why we are putting ourselves through this nightmarish headache process!!

It will be about as extensive as it's possible to get.
At least while we still have hair left!!

And as Rob said earlier, we will be hoping that all the efforts and research by members of this forum can go into helping us out so that metamatic.com is the definitive resource for all the detailed and specific information.

Info on the forum so far is really helpful - thanks everyone -and we are keen to get things summarised, collated and into the public arena as soon as we can.

Like you said though, it's the 'Quirks' that have made a logical framework challenging to come up with - we don't know what we don't know!!
We are trying to build the site map in such a way that 'new' formats / versions etc can be added without too much hassle.

You can bet your a*se that it will be the things we miss that people notice... and so we need a resource in place so that comments and info can be fed in seamlessly.

And it would all be so much easier if John didn't keep gigging and recording new material!

Endlessly, even ;D

The Discography has never been a straightforward project - I had a crack at it on the 'old-style' Metamatic Website - but I was never 100% happy with the results.

As has been said previously, one of the reasons for the re-design was so that it would be easier for visitors to locate things - and that was why an A-Z was created. But even this has been difficult to keep up-to-date. Lose concentration just for a moment, and you'll find that John has released another half-a-dozen items, all of which need to be included. On one hand it's incredible that so much is happening, but on the other it can also seem like a constant game of 'catch-up'. Hey, but better that than silence...

A number of the issues which have made this process so time-consuming have already been highlighted... the numerous versions, the inconsistent titling and the varying track-times have all contributed to making this a long and windy road. There was also the need for us to create and agree on a folder / directory structure that was not only logical, but was also (as far as these things ever can be) 'future-proof' moving foward.

Anyhow... despite all of that, the Discography is really shaping up nicely and should soon be able to go-live. The work done there will also help with the Archive section.

Unfortunately, all of the accompanying content / detail can't be put on-line in one hit - pages will have to evolve over time. Also, and despite our very best efforts (and numerous iterations where we've both reviewed and re-reviewed pages again and again) some mistakes (typos, inconsistencies, etc) will still have somehow managed to creep in. So, if you spot any (and you will) then please just drop us an E-Mail and we'll endeavour to get them sorted.

We're also very aware that the site needs some imagery - and that's (slowly) being addressed as well. The vast majority of the Discography will be very familiar - but we're also intending to include some very obscure and previously unseen items as well - foreign pressings, labels, acetates, promos and even (in some instances) the original studio tape boxes. The over-riding intention here is for this site to be as extensive, informative, exhaustive and definitive as possible.

Rob

Rob Harris #46274 06/06/13 01:31 PM
John and his prolific work rate does cause headache for us part-time web administrators! wink

I'm already two or three releases behind on the Quiet City discography, and that's without making all the planned corrections/additions to the various pages. Unfortunately, with this being a 'fan project' it keeps slipping further down my online priorities due to my other activities. Although in the very least I like to keep the news page updated with the most important info.

Birdsong #46284 06/07/13 10:34 AM
F
F
Originally Posted By: Birdsong

This 'single edit' of 1983's Endlessly is a good example. It was never released with the words (single edit) in brackets, so should they be added to the title in an index situation?
If so, how do we differentiate between our own addition of suffixes for cataloguing purposes and those 'officially' presented in the track title...?
Square brackers? Italics??

Yes, square brackets is the common way to show an editorial inclusion, whereas ordinary round brackets (parentheses) are used if the suffix was on the original record sleeve.

feline1 #46286 06/07/13 10:58 AM
F
F
By the way chaps - I am currently enjoying the various Metadelic tracks, and of course was intrigued as to the provenance of all these different Endlessly versions - came here to find out more and of course, you're already got it all in hand lol smile (Endlessly is almost as bad a Japan's bloody Life in Tokyo!! wink

Can I attempt to summarise then, now that we're on page 5 of the thread? (I'm rounding timing to the nearest 10 seconds cos otherwise we get confused by inter-track silence etc)

In 1982, Endlessly came out as a one-off single. This version is 3'50" and has a much clumpier drum pattern that all subsequent versions.

In 1983, John re-worked Endlessly. It is the same recording as '82, but drums have been replaced by a much more 'rockin' style, and there's other production touches like an arpeggiator fluttering around.
There were actually only *three* edits of this version released at the time: an edit of 4'20" was used on the gatefold double single and on The Golden Section album......a lobotomied edit of 3'35" was on the single disc 7" (this is NOT currently available in digital format).... and a 7'40" extended edit was used on the 12" single (the latter is newly available on Metadelic).

Subsequently there have been two further extended edits dredged out of the vaults.
There's an "extended remix" of 6'00" which appears as a bonus track on the Golden Section 2CD reissue. This one has a much more pared down drum part (sounds like an acoustic drum kit, without all the electro drum samples slapped on)
And now, on Metadelic we get the 6'30" Sparkle Mix - this mix is very much in the same vein as the "extended remix", with mainly just the acoustic drums.

It's funny how they had to do these extended mixes back in 1983 - since they're working on tape, you can't just cut-and-paste wav files on your computer, so basically they record the song (4 minutes -ish) and then the track pares down and then they tack on a whole extended reprise of another 3 or 4 mins on the end.

So far, the only live version of Endlessly to be released is one of John & Louis Gordon rehearsing it in 1997 (Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour). It's rather "HiNRG" smile

Last edited by feline1; 06/07/13 01:56 PM.
feline1 #46291 06/07/13 12:10 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
That looks about right feline. As soon as wikipedia get round to approving my Wiki page all will be made public!

This is the draft ,..don't know if it's visible to all, butlet me know if there are any glaring errors. Can't upload pictures of sleeves yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Articles_for_creation/Endlessly_(song)

Don't forget the change in producer which differentiates the 1982 and 1983 versions, and which is fairly fundamental to the sound.

Musicians: am I right in saying that the 1982 has no proper 'bass' to speak of?

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.