Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Birdsong #46159 05/23/13 12:00 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
What fascinates me is that all these different versions of everything are never bl**dy NAMED as such.

We are (and in fact have been since the beginning of time!) working on a full and definitive INDEX of all John's songs and versions thereof, which links to a DISCOGRAPHY etc...
A nagging 'challenge' is the way to title certain versions or releases that are NOT the same as each other but have NO SUFFIX or INFO IN BRACKETS to differentiate them.

This 'single edit' of 1983's Endlessly is a good example. It was never released with the words (single edit) in brackets, so should they be added to the title in an index situation?
If so, how do we differentiate between our own addition of suffixes for cataloguing purposes and those 'officially' presented in the track title...? Square brackets? Italics??

Apply this logic to albums like 'Impossible' and you'll see some of the fiddly bits that upset any logical process we try to come up with.

I've gotta be honest, but I've never really liked the look of italics (or emboldened text) - especially on a web-page. Perhaps notes in square brackets is the answer.

Also, the running times which are (sometimes) quoted aren't always that accurate. Moreover, the running time (as indicated when a CD is read) is also not a true reflection as to a tracks length - as it'll depend on how much space is left at either end of the track, and that will change according to how it was mastered.

But then such is the wonder and continually exciting challenge of trying to categorise or classify John Foxx.

But that's also what makes it so much fun - there's a real sense of achievement when new items get discovered and included in the mix, as it all means that putting a definitive overview on-line is getting closer to becoming a reality.

Anyone have a successful, lasting technique for nailing jelly to a tree..?

Or for juggling soot, or herding buttered cats... grin

Rob

Rob Harris #46160 05/23/13 01:42 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok yes, I forgot to mention the TGS version which is the same as the "single" 7".

Wiki have a thing about including running times so that's how I came across this 'discrepancy' as it were. I thought having two singles with the same name in two different years was complicated enough!

Perhaps one way to distinguish versions which are not 'labelled' as such is with the catalogue number. Wiki are hot on those too, and not without reason!

"voice behind me says "Go on!".."

MemberD #46161 05/23/13 01:52 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

MemberD #46164 05/23/13 06:01 PM
Administrator
Administrator

What's on the back of this? presumably Dance With ME?
Is that the same mix / version as the gatefold double single release?

Birdsong #46166 05/23/13 07:03 PM
The Archive
The Archive

Yes, the 'standard' (stand-alone) seven inch version of Endlessly has Dance With Me on the B'side.

Rob

Rob Harris #46168 05/24/13 06:04 AM
I bought the Endlessly 7" double pack on it's release in '83. For some reason I always thought the version with this release was slightly shorter than the album version. Hence moaning in the past that the '83 7" edit was not available on cd.I (stupidly) got rid of most of my vinyl years ago so I can't confirm this. I guess my memory must be playing tricks!

Rob Harris #46169 05/24/13 07:02 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris

Yes, the 'standard' (stand-alone) seven inch version of Endlessly has Dance With Me on the B'side.

Rob

Yes confirmed, both with identical timings, although on the double 7" it's actually the "D" side!

I've just noticed that the 12" has a longer version of A Kind of Wave on the B side... 5.00 mins as opposed to 3.39 on the gatefold "C" side version ..
What happened to this long version?

"when she turns round she's someone else.."

MemberD #46170 05/24/13 07:06 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

Here's the 12" version of Endlessly (unavailable on CD/digital)

MemberD #46171 05/24/13 07:59 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: MemberD
I've just noticed that the 12" has a longer version of A Kind of Wave on the B side... 5.00 mins as opposed to 3.39 on the gatefold "C" side version ..
What happened to this long version?

It's track ten on the second disc of Metadelic.

Rob

Rob Harris #46172 05/24/13 08:23 AM
Administrator
Administrator

My next question then is...

HOW is this different? 40-odd seconds is a lot to cut of the end. Perhaps there is a verse missing, or a shorter intro...

This has happened before in other singles.
Has anyone got the means to actaully PLAY the single-disc 7-inch version?

And then of course, it remains unavailable on CD... smirk

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.