Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#46148 05/22/13 02:01 PM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
HAs anyone got the standard 7" of the 1983 version of Endlessly?

The one on discogs.com has the time on the label as 3.35 which would seem to be a lot shorter than the 'standard' version, ie. pic disc and gatefold 7" which are 4.18, and LP version about the same 4.17.

43 seconds chopped off for the 7"?

Thanks for any help .. (it worries me this kind of thing...)

Last edited by MemberD; 05/23/13 07:04 AM.
MemberD #46150 05/22/13 03:21 PM
Administrator
Administrator

So that's how you occupy your waking hours ;D

I am not aware there is a different version, but it really wouldn't surprise me. There seem to be innumerable edits etc of various singles.

Do let us know what you find out - keeping on top of it all is hard work!
Especially if there is an edit of the B-side...??

MemberD #46151 05/22/13 03:41 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: MemberD
Has anyone got the standard 7" of the 1983 version of Endlessly?

The one on discogs.com has the time on the label as 3.35 which would seem to be a lot shorter than the 'standard' version, ie. pic disc and gatefold 7" which are 4.18, and LP version about the same 4.17.

43 seconds chopped off for the 7"?

Thanks for any help .. (it worries me this kind of thing...)

Yes, I've got a copy of that - I'll check and post accordingly...

I've got to say that the times quoted on labels (and sleeves) aren't always reliable - but a discrepancy of 43 seconds would be quite extreme. Oddly enough, a copy of the 'stand-alone' seven inch single is quite a bit more difficult to find than the gatefold / double-single version.

Originally Posted By: Birdsong
So that's how you occupy your waking hours ;D

I am not aware there is a different version, but it really wouldn't surprise me. There seem to be innumerable edits etc of various singles.

Do let us know what you find out - keeping on top of it all is hard work!
Especially if there is an edit of the B-side...??

I'm really pleased that's it's not just you and me that spends our time doing this sort of thing... crazy

Rob

Rob Harris #46152 05/22/13 05:52 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted By: Rob Harris

I'm really pleased that's it's not just you and me that spends our time doing this sort of thing... crazy

Yes indeed.
While you're at it, do check the B-side and the other tracks on the gatefold.
You just never know...

Birdsong #46153 05/23/13 06:49 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the input guys .. I knew I wouldn't be the only one who cares about these things!

Anyway, in the meantime I have gained further evidence* that indeed the 'single' 7" issue does in fact state a running time of 3.35 making it quite a bit shorter than the gatefold 7" which obviously different again from the extended 12" version (and indeed all the other versions).

*my evidence being that I discovered I actually had a copy tucked away in the cupboard...I thought I had the gatefold ("memory can be so selective")
Surprised to learn it's "rarer" than the gatefold and at least it solved the timing mystery even though sadly I have no means of listening to it to see how it's shortened..

Anway the reason I needed the info is that I'm creating and/or updating John Foxx songs/singles/albums wikipedia pages. Amazingly there was no page for "Underpass" or "No-One Driving" so I've done those from scratch as also My Face/Europe/Endlessly and compilation albums Assembly/Modern Art/Glimmer/Metatroni (Metadelic under construction)
I'm trying to make them as complete as possible..all in my spare time you understand...

"switch the scene, sun is rising.."

PS still not getting e-mail notifications from the forum even though I'm ticking the right boxes (I think)

Yours, endlessly....

MemberD #46154 05/23/13 10:02 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

Official versions of Endlessly are now as follows:

1982 single (VS 513)
Endlessly (3.51) - same version on pic disc / "Modern Art" / Golden Section (2008) as "single version"

1983 single (VS 543)
7" (single disc)
Endlessly (3.35)

7" (double disc/gatefold)
Endlessly (4.18)
-also on "Assembly"

12"
Endlessly (7.40)
(not available on CD/digital)

plus:

"live" Omnidelic Exotour version with L Gordon
Endlessly (8.12)

Endlessly (extended mix) (6.03)
included on The Golden Section re-issue (2008) previously unreleased

Endlessly (Sparkle mix) (?.??)
appears on the Metadelic compilation album (2013)

..anymore for anymore?

MemberD #46155 05/23/13 10:17 AM
I always thought that the 1983 release of Endlessly was edited down from the album version. In the past I've had the odd moan that whenever there has been a compilation released or a reissue of The Golden Section it's always the 1982 single version that's included.I've been wanting the 1983 single edit on cd for as long as I can remember. I always assumed that the version on Assembly was the album version. I can't remember the timing of the album version so I will have to go back and check when I'm home later.

MemberD #46156 05/23/13 11:17 AM
The Archive
The Archive

1982 single (VS 513)
Endlessly (3.51) - same version on pic disc / "Modern Art" / Golden Section (2008) as "single version"

1983 single (VS 543)
7" (single disc)
Endlessly (3.35)

7" (double disc/gatefold)
Endlessly (4.18)
-also on "Assembly"

12"
Endlessly (7.40)
(not available on CD/digital)

plus:

"live" Omnidelic Exotour version with L Gordon
Endlessly (8.12)

Endlessly (extended mix) (6.03)
included on The Golden Section re-issue (2008) previously unreleased

Endlessly (Sparkle mix) (?.??)
appears on the Metadelic compilation album (2013)

..anymore for anymore?

I can't think of any more off-hand...

It's funny that you're doing this for Endlessly - as one of the reasons the Discography is taking me so long to push into shape is that I'm in the middle of doing exactly the same for all of the different versions of all of the different tracks. crazy

Rob

MemberD #46157 05/23/13 11:22 AM
Administrator
Administrator

..anymore for anymore?

I think you have missed the Golden Section album version (same as the gatefold single...)

It's great that you are doing this, and including us all in it. Rob and I do all the work we do in our spare time too, and it's really encouraging to be both appreciated and supported.

What fascinates me is that all these different versions of everything are never bl**dy NAMED as such.

We are (and in fact have been since the beginning of time!) working on a full and definitive INDEX of all John's songs and versions thereof, which links to a DISCOGRAPHY etc...
A nagging 'challenge' is the way to title certain versions or releases that are NOT the same as each other but have NO SUFFIX or INFO IN BRACKETS to differentiate them.

This 'single edit' of 1983's Endlessly is a good example. It was never released with the words (single edit) in brackets, so should they be added to the title in an index situation?
If so, how do we differentiate between our own addition of suffixes for cataloguing purposes and those 'officially' presented in the track title...?
Square brackers? Italics??

Apply this logic to albums like 'Impossible' and you'll see some of the fiddly bits that upset any logical process we try to come up with.

But then such is the wonder and continually exciting challenge of trying to categorise or classify John Foxx.

Anyone have a successful, lasting technique for nailing jelly to a tree..?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Your Shadow #46158 05/23/13 11:40 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Your Shadow
I always thought that the 1983 release of Endlessly was edited down from the album version. In the past I've had the odd moan that whenever there has been a compilation released or a reissue of The Golden Section it's always the 1982 single version that's included.I've been wanting the 1983 single edit on cd for as long as I can remember. I always assumed that the version on Assembly was the album version. I can't remember the timing of the album version so I will have to go back and check when I'm home later.

The versions of Endlessly which appear on The Golden Section and Assembly both clock in at 4:18.

Rob

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.