Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris
That's fair enough - but it needed to be an image from that particular era of John's career - and something with a psychedelic feel to it.

If we go really particular on the era that picture was taken then I'd say we finally get to hear the recordings he trashed before getting Zeus B Held on board and doing The Golden Section. Now that would be my wish come true since the early Endlessly/Young Man release was about the last thing he did that I really liked.

Last edited by Nisei; 04/23/13 09:37 AM.
Administrator
Administrator

Aren't these available among the extra tracks on the 2CD set issue a couple of years ago...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Nisei
If we go really particular on the era that picture was taken then I'd say we finally get to hear the recordings he trashed before getting Zeus B Held on board and doing The Golden Section. Now that would be my wish come true since the early Endlessly/Young Man release was about the last thing he did that I really liked.

Originally Posted By: Birdsong

Aren't these available among the extra tracks on the 2CD set issue a couple of years ago...?

A number of years ago, John said that he'd scrapped an entire albums worth of material - this was after The Garden, but before The Golden Section. That album was even given a title - In The Glow - but a final track-listing was never published.

However, some of the material that was due to appear on that album - tracks like Dance With Me and A Woman On A Stairway - did get formally released as B'sides and extra tracks on some of the singles taken from The Golden Section. All of that material, together with some previously unreleased Early and Alternative tracks, appeared back in 2008 on the second disc of The Golden Section CD.

Rob

Lol, never realised these were released as "early versions" on the Golden Section double CD smile
Thanks guys, I've just ordered Underpass from Townsend and see if I can add that title to the order.

Cheers,
John

The Archive
The Archive
Lol, never realised these were released as "early versions" on the Golden Section double CD smile
Thanks guys, I've just ordered Underpass from Townsend and see if I can add that title to the order.

The track-listing for the second disc of the 2008 edition of The Golden Section was as follows...

01. Endlessly (Single Version)
02. My Wild Love (Early Version)
03. A Long Time (Alternative Version)
04. Annexe
05. Sitting At The Edge Of The World (Alternative Version)
06. A Kind Of Wave
07. Twilight's Last Gleaming (Early Version)
08. Running Across Thin Ice With Tigers (Extended Mix)
09. A Woman On A Stairway
10. The Lifting Sky
11. Shine On Me
12. Young Man
13. Wings And A Wind
14. The Hidden Man (Alternative Version)
15. Dance With Me
16. Endlessly (Extended Mix)

Rob

Thanks Rob.
So which of these tracks are actual recordings from In The Glow?
And I don't mean tracks which were originally from this era and later re-recorded.

Endlessly
Young Man
My Wild Love (early)
Twilight's ... (early)

And the rest? (pre- Zeus B Held)

Last edited by Nisei; 05/07/13 09:49 PM.
H
H
Thanks Rob.
So which of these tracks are actual recordings from In The Glow?
And I don't mean tracks which were originally from this era and later re-recorded.

Endlessly
Young Man
My Wild Love (early)
Twilight's ... (early)

And the rest? (pre- Zeus B Held)

This is something I'm interested in too. We know from what Rob's told us that the "in The Glow" tracks have already been released as B sides/ bonus discs and so forth, but these were I believe Zeus B Held productions (as evidenced by those awful Simmons electronic drums that really date the tracks) and thus would date from 1983. So like Nisei I'm curious as to if there are still "In The Glow" versions dating from 1982 which might be similar in sound and feel to the original Endlessly/ Young Man single?

F
F
I'm enjoying Metadelic, it's nice to get access at last to decent quality copies off all those 12" mixes, radio sessions and of course the videos smile

If I were to make one teensy criticism:
nowhere on the booklet does it list the names of the other musicians playing on these recordings. There is some small-print with the songwriting credits, but not a sausage for who-played-what. There must above been well over a dozen different musicians played on these tunes for John. It would be a simple courtesy to give them a credit!

Yeah I thought that but I suppose they (gordon/benge et al) must have agreed to all of that.

My teensy critique (of the CDs) would be lack of precise info on the BBC sessions - recording and broadcast dates?

(relieved to see on the DVDee that TOTP was in fact broadcast 03.09.1981!)

It all flows quite well although I prefer the middle section best (Endlessly -> Shifting City). Amazing how Ghosts on Water flows into Ocean We Can Breathe with over a decade between 'em..

F
F
Originally Posted By: MemberD
Yeah I thought that but I suppose they (gordon/benge et al) must have agreed to all of that.

Doubt it - the general deal is that musicians get paid for the session, and the record company then owns it and can do whatever they like with it, including flogging it on cheap compilations where they don't even get a credit.

In *princple*, the record company has to log the details of who played what with PPL, and then if the recording is *broadcast* (TV, radio, etc) then the musicians get tiny amounts of royalties. But PPL are crap, most of the data never gets registered properly (both in terms of logging who played what, and in broadcasters reporting what they've used) and even then most of the money is "micropayments" of the "I got 70 million Spotify plays and they sent me 2.85 cents" variety.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.