Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 740 of 753 1 2 738 739 740 741 742 752 753
S
S
David Bowie - The Next Day

After the excellent singles "Where Are We Now" & "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" I was really looking forward to this & expecting a Bowie "classic" after a 10 year gap. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. It sounds as though to me it was a rushed album. All the music just seemed to be thrown together without much thought. There are a few good songs on the cd , mainly the latter ones & hopefully it'll be a grower but it's left me feeling a bit down to be honest.

C
C
Originally Posted By: Scott

There are a few good songs on the cd , mainly the latter ones & hopefully it'll be a grower but it's left me feeling a bit down to be honest.

sorry to hear that, must admit the days when I rush to get a new Bowie album are long gone so I'm not up to speed on the material in this new one, however, I really like the track Obstacle (annoyingly only an itunes exclusive), an instant hit for me, should have been a single release, begins with his voice channeling Scott walker via Pete Murphy and then go's off somewhere else, power rock, Roger Waters, or Jim Kerr? And later the music unexpectedly takes a lovely euphoric trance direction at the 3:38 mark, sublime stuff, yeah this I like, got it on repeat, more of this please smile :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md5zxN20-2s

S
S
Originally Posted By: core memory
Originally Posted By: Scott

There are a few good songs on the cd , mainly the latter ones & hopefully it'll be a grower but it's left me feeling a bit down to be honest.

I really like the track Obstacle (annoyingly only an itunes exclusive), an instant hit for me, should have been a single release, begins with his voice channeling Scott walker via Pete Murphy and then go's off somewhere else, power rock, Roger Waters, or Jim Kerr? And later the music unexpectedly takes a lovely euphoric trance direction at the 3:38 mark, sublime stuff, yeah this I like, got it on repeat, more of this please smile :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md5zxN20-2s

That is a good song. Just downloaded it.

M
M
Is that really Bowie? Doesn't sound like him at all.

M
M
It isn't Bowie at all. It's THE FIXX with a track called 'Something Ahead Of You'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkz_IZ_Bu7A

Last edited by Mr.Ilektrik; 03/13/13 10:55 PM.
C
C
Originally Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik
It isn't Bowie at all. It's THE FIXX with a track called 'Something Ahead Of You'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkz_IZ_Bu7A

WOW!!!

those 'bastard sons of Bowie' eh!

over 83 thousand views on the Bowie page and only 82 views on the FIXX page, I am both amazed and disappointed, amazed that its the Fixx, and disappointed for Bowie. It explains though why I was trying to place where his voice was at throughout the song, imitating his hero Walker and also parodying Murphy and Kerr who've both mimicked Bowie. The track is from 2012's album Beautiful Friction, I've never listened to the Fixx since I first saw their rather obvious? name back in early 80, but will give their latest album a listen based on 'obstacle' (wonder if the mistaken posting is actually a devious marketing ploy smile )

Karl Bartos' Off the Record.

It's going to be off the stereo in a minute. Just awful.

S
S
Originally Posted By: Alex S
Karl Bartos' Off the Record.

It's going to be off the stereo in a minute. Just awful.

I listened to it on spotify this afternoon & thought it was ok.

Automation Baby

The new album by Mesh arrived on my doorstep this weekend. Only one listen so far, but it is safe to say, if you liked their previous album, you will like this one.

S
S
Depeche Mode - Delta Machine.

Another mediocre/poor DM album. Oh for the days of "Black Celebration" & "Music For The Masses"

Page 740 of 753 1 2 738 739 740 741 742 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.