Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Adam #46321 06/10/13 11:04 AM
"it looked like a Ross Kemp convention"

grin

F
F
hah. well at least it wasn't a Phil Mitchell convention. smile

With all due kudos to Louis (who basically managed to get John out of retirement after a decade away - no mean feat!), this kind of electro pop is just BETTER when done with real analogue synths (and violins, if the fancy takes you). No ifs, no buts - it just is BETTER! They sound better. And the musicians perform on them better. End of!

(which is why I worry a bit at the laptop creeping back into The Maths live show, on the grounds of 'convenience' - good art isn't supposed to bloody be convenient!!! grin )

Administrator
Administrator

Fair point, well made.

But needs must. John Foxx proves himself on record, and live shows are almost entirely peripheral. Why not make it easy for himself?

A
A
I'm certainly not disputing Louis' importance (as I also hope that he and Foxx record another album at some point). I actually think he and Louis produced some catchier melodies, but I agree that analogue synths provide a much more satisfying sound. Benge is another terrific partnership for JF and I'm sure they'll continue to produce a few more albums. The wonderful rawness of their sound is, as others have said, reminiscent of early Human League, but sometimes even earlier than that with The Future and tracks such as 'Dance Like a Star'.

Although I understand frustrations about laptops, Martin is right about 'needs must'. Foxx isn't making a great deal of money touring, so there must be an economic imperative to keep the band small. Even with just the three of them, they can't be walking with much cash - so I think we just have to accept that as an artist who is every bit of the word 'cult' - and not mainstream - he's not in it for the money, yet clearly a lack of money restricts how many can tour with him for live shows. Let's be grateful it's not just John and that laptop!

Adam #46333 06/12/13 07:15 PM
F
F
Tsk - he can flog a few of his songs for adverts to fund more tours smile

Administrator
Administrator

Indeed - but he's got to want to...

M
M

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.