Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
F
well, I was there in the rather incongruous neo-Grecian splendour of the Winter Gardens ballroom in Margate last night.

The Maths set was swamped in vast cavernous bass booms at the start (I thought the chandeliers might collapse!) but the soundguy manage to tame it a bit by the end of the set.

This is the 3rd time I've seen The Maths live... each time they've shed musicians! ... but they are still basically playing the same set from the original Roundhouse gig! This is a bit odd, as they're on their 3rd album now, but there was only a single new song (Evidence) in the set. What about all the other new tunes? I really find "Running Man" and "Catwalk" and "Summerland" a bit "meh" compared to things like "Tides" (TIDES is BRILLIANT!!!!!! Why aren't they playing it?!?) Oh well.

Benge looks great thwacking away on the drum pads, John got as animated singing as I've ever seen him, and Hannah Peel's violin is a very nice touch. "Burning Car" and "Underpass" kicked serious ass.
One of the tunes got hilariously out of sync (John seemed to be singing 1 beat beat or ahead of the backing track... I forget which tune it actually was!) but it proved it was live wink

OMD's set had much clearer sound and a good set too! A good night out, although 2½ hour drive back to Brighton and 5 hours sleep before getting up for work has left me a little tired as I type this... smile

Administrator
Administrator

Here's John Foxx, Hannah and Benge 'standing in the dark' at Birmingham Symphony Hall last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DEDjF983oA

This was the last track played, but I won't spoil the setlist for others going

Talking of which...
One of the things I'm working on is a database of tracks that John Foxx has performed live.
Like, ever!
Yes really. As you can imagine its an 'interesting' challenge.

So if anyone is at an OMD support gig and makes a note, do let me know.

Foxxy looks totally triumphant at the end and seems to get a big round of applause at the end.

I for one would appreciate seeing the setlist Martin .. don't think it would be that much of a 'spoiler' going by what feline1 has said. wink

No One Driving from last night:-

http://youtu.be/8CWw-lLhGxc

I have the setlist but will put it up on a different thread with my review later.

Yes it was dark.

Brian

D
D
I thought it was a good set, especially for someone like me who hadn't seen JF&tM play live. (Confession: I didn't have any of the three albums till I bought them last night, though I've heard a lot of the tracks on the web.) He started off a tad noisily for the audience's taste, but from Evergreen he started to win them over. Being a support act is hard - you're perched in front of a curtain at the front of the stage with limited lighting effects, but they did a good job and I'm hoping now that I can find good quality recordings of live versions of the JF&tM tracks.

Sorry I didn't try to get to meet anyone last night - I've not been posting for a while and it only occurred to me at the last moment. :-( I'd actually appreciate a West Midlands JF get-together sometime - maybe next winter.

Last edited by Dadge; 04/30/13 12:17 PM.
Anyone else going to the Roundhouse this Friday?

A very enjoyable show last night (in Birmingham). John started by complimenting the 'splendid venue' and then promising to 'destroy it' - I assume referring to the huge wave of noise that was about to emanate from the speakers! It probably was a tad loud to start with, but the sound quality was pretty crisp.

I was up in the gods and the lighting was very subdued, so I could only just make out John behind his keyboard(s).

The whole performance was slick and I think well received by a very polite and well behaved audience.

OMD sounded great and I enjoyed seeing them for the first time. Andy sure does burn a few calories during the set and came out with a few amusing comments. At one point he tried to encourage our upper balcony to get up and dance 'so long as we promise not to fall over the edge'.

Hope the rest of the tour goes as well as this show. I'm sure all who go will enjoy.

Last edited by MikeG; 04/30/13 01:22 PM.
F
F
several posters on the OMD forum complained that John's sound in Birmingham was bloody terrible, driving many punters from their seats.

Yes, I noticed the comments on the OMD forum as well. I can only assume it depended where you were sitting - we were up on the second tier of balconies and there didn't seem to be any problems or people leaving.

Cheers Mike .. nice to hear that Foxxians are 'discovering' OMD at last!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.