Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 737 of 753 1 2 735 736 737 738 739 752 753
The Archive
The Archive
The long-awaited House Of Illustrious...

Rob

Blimey! Any good?

Scott Walker; Bish Bosch

S
S
Originally Posted By: RadioBeach
Scott Walker; Bish Bosch

What do you think of it Garry? Hopefully Santa will bring me a copy.

Hiya Scott,

In short*, it's brilliant, and strangely - much more visceral and accessible (but no less for that) than The Drift - that's just my opinion though.

I’ve been listening to it purely on headphones – it’s a complete experience. What I found, and despite all the sound and the reports of knives and ram’s horns etc is that a lot of the power is through nothing, nothing at all. There’s a lot of silences. I read they recorded the album using analogue but spliced in digital silences – these large blocks of dead space – and then Walker or something else, cuts in, creeps in, scuttles in, transmits…

* I’m trying not to descend into poetry and prose about it – no point really. It’s noticeable that there are a million reviews out there of Bish Bosch (I feel like I’ve read them all) from the experts to the ‘5* / back of a postage stamp’ merchants and not one of them will help you in anyway whatsoever or can truly describe to you what’s going on. The nearest I can get to, the nearest…

You know when you watch a psychological thriller and you look away, and your brain starts concentrating on the sounds and filling in the pictures. And if it’s a really good film – that relies on the sounds alone – no Hammer strings etc – just the sounds – well, it’s a bit like that in places.

And that’s really not much help at all.

Heh! True. I’ve only been torn away from Nico by Bish Bosch.

I’ve not got X-TGs Desertshore yet – first thing in the New Year. But I did go to the Chris n Cosey talk on Desertshore at Rough Trade East the other week, and got a copy of Desertshore’s ‘evil twin’ – Faet Narok. I’ve not listened to it yet, as I’m saving it until I’ve heard Desertshore.

A few things from the night: Chris n Cosey also said that, bar one or two tracks – Bargeld recorded a vocal for almost every song on the album he was that familiar with the original work. Gen doesn’t respond to any of their emails.

Administrator
Administrator

That's interesting. Bargeld's interpretation of Abscheid is one of the album's strongest tracks.

Though its not really an album of individual tracks - they meander through each other and all contribute uniquely to an incredible sensory experience

M
M
Jingling all the way to...

Bish Bosch

Administrator
Administrator

I think asking Santa for this was a mistake.

Something to look forward to tho - if he got the message!!

Currently listening to pop music of 1966. It all started when my live band, after last gig, discussed whose year of birth was the best popwise. One of us was from 1956, another from 1970 and I am from 1966. Not bad - the year of "Good vibrations", "Gimme some lovin'", "Strangers in the night", "These boots are made for walkin'", "Summer wine", "You keep me hangin' on", "Friday on my mind", "Under my thumb", "All tomorrow's parties", "Knock on wood", "Reach out I'll be there" and "They're coming to take me away, ha-haa". Frank Zappa made his first album. Walking in nextertown yesterday, I for the first time listened The Beatles' "Yellow submarine" from earplugs: I didn't know that song is panned in one ear, the instruments to another and sound effects are in the middle! By coincidence, few weeks ago mixing my band's forthcoming song I panned almost all instruments (including drums & bass) bouncing randomly.

This far the best (& only) synthpop I've found from 1966 is Perrey & Kingsley: eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGKY4gCIIEI
(Three years later Gershon Kingsley made "Pop corn", which three years later become a hit by Hot Butter).

Advices on 1966 synth music would be appreciated!

Last edited by Karwin; 12/14/12 08:08 AM. Reason: 42
Page 737 of 753 1 2 735 736 737 738 739 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.