Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45121 11/29/12 01:48 PM
OP Offline
Gary Numan has posted clips of 2 tracks being worked on for his "Splinter" album, "I Am Dust" sounds very promising, not keen on "We're The Unforgiven".

Sadly he manages to fit the word "God" into the lyrics of both songs!!

Surely by now he has fresh ideas for lyrics!

Listen to the tracks on soundcloud vis this link:

Gary Numan 2 New Tracks

M
M
He also mentions about 'bleeding' in the track 'For You. I know they are works in progress, but they do nothing at all for me.

They just sound typically Numan.

Administrator
Administrator

Hmmm...
I'm off to see him on Sunday night.

I find Numan one of those artists that sounds better live than on record. But I think both these tracks are quite interesting, and a bit more progressive than I was expecting

Looking forward to the gig. Feels like I've seen him a lot in the last couple of years

Doesn't most people's work sound 'typical' of them?

M
M
Originally Posted By: Birdsong

Hmmm...
I'm off to see him on Sunday night.

I find Numan one of those artists that sounds better live than on record. But I think both these tracks are quite interesting, and a bit more progressive than I was expecting

Looking forward to the gig. Feels like I've seen him a lot in the last couple of years

Doesn't most people's work sound 'typical' of them?

Ha! I knew you'd pull me up on that one, Martin. I know what you mean. What I hear is Numan walking over the same old safe piece of sonic turf, so to speak. I just wish he would push the envelope a bit.

Administrator
Administrator

All thinks considered, I do know what you mean and I probably agree with you!

That's why I said I thought these two teasers sounded a little 'better'...

Numan appears to be stuck in the 90s industrial scene. That said, I quite liked the sound of I Am Dust.

It does seem that he's just recycling the same lyrical themes and clanky, trumpy sounds over and over again. Got to remember these are just demo tracks though (ie before Ade Fenton comes along and over produces everything). With that in mind, I quite like the simplicity of the demos - that same kind of sparser soundscape worked so well on Sacrifice.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.