Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
C
C
Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso
Originally Posted By: Birdsong

OK my friends.

There's a further link with the band's most recent album, whose title is set in the same environment as the John Foxx track in question.

Your guide, the broadcaster who forged this tenuos connection, is a would-be Olympian descended from an ancient civilisation and educated in JF's homeland.

I shall set off on my Thor Hyerdal type raft across the North Sea

A clue with Marvel comics style superhero(es)? Though its not 'Thor', perhaps instead beginning with another four letter rampaging character? Nah, can't be that, it has to be another Minimal Electro/Cold Wave combo who love frozen water and shooting flames, just wish I could think of a similar JF song environment, lets see, he's done Dust and Light, but ice and fire?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbxizbc0bQ

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: core memory
Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso
[quote=Birdsong]
Who said this of John Foxx earlier in 2012, and to which track are they referring?

"I chose this song because it encapsulates much of his combination of new wave with psychedelia. The drumbeats quote Tomorrow Never Knows and the lyric is lovely surrealistic image"...

My brain's not working Martin , so I'll take a long shot and say
...Cilla Black "Twilight's Last Gleaming "

Hmm, I think you're only half correct there Ivan, Cilla was most likely referring to Kurfurstendamm, as I believe that in her autobiography she mentions that "KURFURSTENDAMM!!!" is something she shouts out when she stubs her toe on the pavement kerb, or misses with her aim whilst using a hammer and bashes her thumb, or indeed when she accidently traps her fingers in the cutlery drawer. [/quote

Arfing Finnbar Saunders-style here Cores ! Good work ! "Surprise Surprise " my answer is wrong

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 12/31/12 12:29 PM.
Administrator
Administrator

you are on the tune in your first reply.

your quest now is to seek who said it, and where

C
C
Mr JLordi HulkConan surely, as to where he said it, well I'm guessing it was on a TV show hosted by Paul Merton, here's a clip of post neo-romantic JLordi talking about his addiction to tin'ternet (note the early synthesiser gizmo sat next to his right):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAjD8c6cFc8

Administrator
Administrator
Nope

You need to get to the Eastern seaboard of the US, from where this band / frontman hails

C
C
Ahoy shipmates, as a former sea cadet in my youth I am duty bound to steer towards either of these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjadckMNX-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBIYU94QvVI

Shiver me timbers!

It's not the laugh-a-minute electro-dance coupling that is Xeno & Oaklander is it? (The Richard and Linda Thompson of the 21st Century..?)

Aside from their werk on Evidence and such, I wouldn't know what other Foxxian ditty they may have 'approached' though. Through My Sleeping?

MemberD #45342 01/04/13 09:48 AM
Administrator
Administrator
No

The answer is Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields, speaking with Nemone on 6Music in August last year.

Merritt is a Foxx fan who contributed to Artrocker's JF week with a tribute. The band are based in New York.

They have released albums called The Wayward Bus and Holiday (see clues) and their latest offering is called Love At The Bottom of The Sea
which links back in with An Ocean We can Breathe, being the JF track in question

Magnetic Field = Lorentz Force...

The host Nemone is Greek, and has (almost) achieved Olympic status for her country.

So there... one point to Core for IDing the Foxx track

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.