Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
MikeG #44832 10/03/12 04:07 PM
Doesn't do a lot for me at all. No real stand out tracks where as "Interplay" was full of brilliant tracks and "The Shape Of Things" boasted a few excellent tracks.

To me it isn't a cohesive piece of work and like a few others have said it feels like a compilation of bits and pieces left over from the first 2 albums, hopefully if John is going to do another Maths album he will go back to the "Interplay" blueprint.

Gary Hunter #44834 10/03/12 05:18 PM
Administrator
Administrator
It's unlikely that John will go 'back'

'Walk' is becoming one of my favourite tracks on the album and one of The Maths best moments.

Last edited by Birdsong; 10/03/12 10:53 PM.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Alex S #44835 10/03/12 11:04 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted By: Alex S

The Maths is the longest 'band' John has been in since Ultravox I think...

At least on 'record' - The Maths is just John and Benge. They've been recording for, what, three years since Destination?

Birdsong #44852 10/05/12 10:54 AM
I really like the latest offering and like the majority of the tracks Evidence, That Sudden Switch, Changelings, My Town, A Falling Star, Cloud Choreography, Walk and Only Lovers Left Alive......and love the version of Floyd痴 Have a Cigar. I suppose there are a few experiments/fill ins to make up the album but I知 glad John is still making music. The more the better! as long as we NEVER see a Christmas album! ha ha ha

Lord Lost #44853 10/05/12 12:01 PM
MikeG Offline OP
OP Offline
I知 not surprised that some fans find this album less cohesive than previous Maths output. It contains a number of songs that were done as individual projects and I知 guessing were never originally intended to be part of something bigger.

John and the team obviously thought this was the point were all the loose ends should come together into one neat package. I知 100% behind them in this decision.

We now have 3 proper CD albums that cover everything meaningful the Maths has ever done. And I'm grateful for that.

Last edited by MikeG; 10/05/12 06:10 PM.
Alex S #44881 10/09/12 05:58 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Paul Pledger's review of Evidence for allgigs:

http://flipsideflipsidereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/album-review-john-foxx-and-maths.html

It is, indeed difficult to recall a time when Mr Leigh's star shone as brightly as it does today...

Birdsong #44906 10/11/12 09:47 AM

Evidence 7" single available from HMV .. soon.
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=977259

MemberD #44921 10/13/12 08:28 AM
I must agree with Gary. On first hearing it certainly hasn't 'blown my socks off'. Sure it's an opportunity to collect together various strands that John and Benge have worked on recently but for that reason it doesn't feel like a proper album to me.On top of that there are are too many tracks that don't grab me.Hopefully with futher listens it will sneak up on me.

Lord Lost #44932 10/14/12 01:52 PM
T
T
Originally Posted By: Lord Lost
I really like the latest offering and like the majority of the tracks Evidence, That Sudden Switch, Changelings, My Town, A Falling Star, Cloud Choreography, Walk and Only Lovers Left Alive......and love the version of Floyd痴 Have a Cigar. I suppose there are a few experiments/fill ins to make up the album but I知 glad John is still making music. The more the better! as long as we NEVER see a Christmas album! ha ha ha

I would argue that a Christmas album (or at least a track) is the one thing missing from the Foxx discography. Imagine the quiet man stumbling into yet another abandoned flat, a forest of needles covering the unopened presents when suddenly the tree lights start to glow as another midwinter sun sets. And the electricity has been of course been long disconnected. There is the distant sound of jingle bells, reverberating and looping and spiralling up through the broken skylight to the frozen stars ...

Originally Posted By: the church puddle
Originally Posted By: Lord Lost

I would argue that a Christmas album (or at least a track) is the one thing missing from the Foxx discography. Imagine the quiet man stumbling into yet another abandoned flat, a forest of needles covering the unopened presents when suddenly the tree lights start to glow as another midwinter sun sets. And the electricity has been of course been long disconnected. There is the distant sound of jingle bells, reverberating and looping and spiralling up through the broken skylight to the frozen stars ...

This is done I believe - John appeared in the Christmas hit, 4'33" by John Cage!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.