Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#44475 07/27/12 10:15 AM
OP Offline
I picked up a copy of the new Electronic Music magazine yesterday.It's a bit steep at £7.99 but at least it covers the kind of music that we all love.There's an interview with John discussing important infuences in his life. There's also a positive but factually incorrect review of Brilliant and a brief interview with Midge.Plus there's stuff on Gary Numan,Kraftwerk,Human League,Underworld etc.There's an accompanying cd which contains many of the usual suspects. Mr X is included by Ultravox. Definately worth checking out.

..and it looks like MOJO is trying to 'compete' too ...

http://cover.mojo4music.com/Item.aspx?pageNo=1839&year=2012

FREE CD! ELECTRICITY: A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE FUTURE OF SOUND: Compiled by Mute’s Daniel Miller and starring Can, Moby, Throbbing Gristle, LCD Soundsystem, Daft Punk, Caberet Voltaire and many more!

ELECTRONIC 50: From Neu! to Hot Chip, Brian Eno to Burial, MOJO writers pick the most important tracks of the mechanical age. Plus: Terry Riley, Manuel Göttsching, Derrick May, Alex Paterson, Martin Gore and Alexis Taylor report from the front-line of the digital music revolution.

Thanks for the heads up on that - this one I will look into.

A couple of interesting side-features on MOJO's site:
Andy McCluskey's favourite electro tracks
and
Martyn Ware's .. he puts three of his own songs in!

Picked up the new Mojo on the way to work this morning. At a glance it looks interesting although the '50 great electro records' list is a bit odd and unexpected, with an unacceptable absence of Foxx.

I saw both magazines side-by-side in WH Smiths the other day. One just seems to have morphed into the other - is Electronic a MOJO magazine for the New-Wave/Romantics or is MOJO magazine a magazine this month for the New-Wave/Romantics?

Either way - where's all the new stuff? Where's all the new electronic artists? It all seems to end sometime around 1993.

You expect this from MOJO - that's what it's there for. But I'm not sure what Electronic magazine is all about. If that's its first issue, it's a very expensive and sorry looking one.

I didn't buy the Electronic one on the grounds it was:
1. far too expensive for a magazine
2. not many pages
3. sealed, so I couldn't look at it

I am looking forward to seeing what Jarre has to say and reading the Bowie feature in Mojo, which is really what I bought it for. Not that it will contain anything new (as these things never do), but it makes a refreshing change to have a feature on one of my favourite Bowie periods, rather than Ziggy bloody Stardust.

The list of albums though will probably be ignored, as it'll only anger me!

Administrator
Administrator
Well I like it, so there!

Cover to cover it will take awhile to read through, and if it wasn't for the Foxx feature I probably wouldn't have bothered.
But I recognise its only OK, and for anyone with any real depth of knowledge and appreciation of the 'genre' (??) it is rather superficial. Covers a lot of ground though

I have already enjoyed the interview with Mark Jones and the piece on Dare.

But I must say that choosing a music mag each month is not an easy one. Unusual for me to buy two in a go, but there it is.
Fascinating contrast but both a good enough read.

(the other title I have this month is Classic Rock, as if you couldn't have guessed)

One thing that has been 'confirmed ' if you like in my head (evidence by this new mag) is that I'm not REALLY into electronic music as a genre specifically.
Bands like Underworld, Aphex Twin etc have never really done that much for me and a lot of the 80s plinky-plonky passed me by (especially the 'pop' tunes of Erasure, OMD, Human League...)

So that's 'quite interesting'. I always define my taste to non-musos as 'electronic music' but in point of fact I'm more interested in 'experimental' music - anything that challenges definition and seeks out new pathways. A majority of the music I actually BUY is not what this mag would define as 'electronic'.

Just a ramble. As you were! :-D

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, and by the way

You can read what Chi Ming Lai of The Electricity Club has to say about the mag here:

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/blog/?page_id=8693

I agree with him. Longer term, this could go somewhere.
First issue is expensive, generic but promising

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
*Apparently* you get the Electronic magazine on download via the Future Music app, for 4.99 . .which is still a bit steep I reckon ..
http://itunes.apple.com/it/app/id451416904?mt=8&affId=1736887

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.