Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Mesdames et Messieurs, meine Damen und Herren, Laydees and Gennulmun, it's nearly *that* time of year again.. yes, the Eurovision Song Contest looms large on the horizon with the final in Baku (where? oh, Baku...) on 26th May, (anticipated almost as greatly as the *other* final in Muenchen this month...)

So in a run-up to said contest, let's see and hear your fave Eurovision hits of yesteryear, (please go easy on the Brotherhood of Man requests)

Here's a t'rific trio representing (West) Germany in 1977, possibly inspired by Kraftwerk's nascent technological-pop, but surely inspiration for OMD's pop-hit of some years later.

Silver Convention - Telegram

Interesting note: despite the 'native language only' rule, Germany (and Belgium) were allowed to sing in English ... ahh .. Eurovision-Politics.

I've never much listened to Eurovisions, but these two random picks were memorable:

After Eurovision, Ofra Haza made much better music. Great voice who co-operated with eg. Thomas Dolby - unfortunately she died far too early.

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh did she die? Never knew that, what a shame.

Thanks for those choice picks Karwin.

Here's another blast from the euro-past, also continuing the techno-theme with a number about the new-fangled 'video' technology, and they even have a 'double XX' in their name..

er, Danemark ... cinq points ..

T
T
One of my faves here. A joyfully eccentric performance from Mouth and MacNeal, the Dutch entry which came third behind Abba at the Brighton Dome.

Again sung in English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVsGdtM378

Last edited by The Quiet Trees; 05/17/12 04:03 PM.
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
nice one!
what a couple! . .what were they on??

and taking you back in time again, to remind you that there was a time when Eurovision winners even made it to the top of the charts. This Germanic Euro-winner was number one in the UK charts 30 years ago volks (in true Kraftwerk style it was recorded both in English and German):

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Things are heating up in Azerbaijan as the first semi-final reached it's heady conclusion in Baku last night.
The qualifiers were:
Romania Moldova Iceland Hungary Denmark Albania Cyprus Greece Russia Ireland

sadly, Montenegro didn't make it through with the fabulously titled "Euro Neuro".
Other surprise non-runners were Switzerland, Belgium, and San Marino with The Social Network Song (Oh Oh - Uh - Oh Oh) !
Austria also nul-points with eloquently titled Woki Mit Deim Popo , approx. translation 'Shake Your Arse' ..performed appropriately by Trackshittaz (I kid you not)

Originally Posted By: MemberD
sadly, Montenegro didn't make it through with the fabulously titled "Euro Neuro".
Not too bad

But I think Molvania's Zlad did this much better in 2004

http://www.molvania.com/eurovision.html

T
T
Every year I think I will watch the semis, but for some reason I don't. Probably because it's nice to hear all the finalists at once, for the first time.

For me, there was not much to write home about this year. Of the finalists, only Greece (rhyming "maniac" with "aphrodisiac"), Hungary and Albania stood out (all in a good way but I heard that Albania stood out for other reasons with other folks ...). The winning song was pretty nondescript, and I'm always suspicious when one country runs away with the competition. But still, the "vision" part of Eurovision was, as usual, very entertaining.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.