Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 85 of 753 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 752 753
I'm listening to various songs/albums by Mike Oldfield.

I'm halfway through his autobiography, "Changeling", which is a fantastic and interesting read. I would seriously recommend it to any fans of his work.

I've never really Got Mike Oldfield.

He's probably one of those artists you either get or you don't. A lot of people look too deep into the music and confuse themselves. Others just don't like it.

Tubular Bells is so often referred to as a concept album, but it's not, and it wasn't intended that way. It was written as a musical safehaven for himself - a world to escape from his panic attacks, nothing more. Although he did wan to create something different, with staying power - and he certainly did.

I do think with his music you can be quite selective. He did a lot of albums in the 80s that were not so great. His early work and more recent stuff is his best for me personally.

I've always been a fan of instrumental music, to the extent of now making my own. But that's because Tubular Bells was one of the first albums I can remember hearing, and I guess something clicked and it stuck with me since.

Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
I've never really Got Mike Oldfield.
Oh I did - well up to QE2 anyway, but then I didn't. Apart from Tub Bells 2 which is wonderful stuff (but then he lost it again).
I love Incantations and can listen to it from start to finish without any harmful side effects. Just last week I dug out Guilty live from 'Exposed' which is brilliant, esp. the way it becomes 'Tub Bells' at the end.
Bit of an odd ball our Mike but then again aren't they all?

Tubular Bells II is a great album - a worthy follow up. I also have a soft spot for the more dance-based TBIII main theme.

However for me, Mike's best work of later years (after TBII) has to be 1995's "The Songs of Distant Earth". Beautiful music.

He's gone back to writing long, evolving pieces with his new album, which is orchestral. It's due out in Oct/Nov and will be called "Music of the Spheres".

Ok, might give it a try although again I haven't cared much for later works.

The new Crowded House album 'Time On Earth'.

Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full.

NewOrder - Technique:
- not a duff track on it (although Run is my least favourite) and really has stood the test of time. Everyone seemed to have got it together not only on the Balearic beats ones but also straight no nonsense songs like All the Way. Barney also on top form lyrically. Brilliant.

Mike Oldfield - "Guilty"

Page 85 of 753 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.