Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Ah, thanks! If there is a spellchecker in Dreamweaver, I haven't found it yet!!

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
]The version of [b]Shifting City on Exotour 1997 is unique across the three releases. A couple of the tracks on The Omnidelic Exotour (most notably Hiroshima Mon Amour, The Quiet Men and The Noise) have been remixed (slightly) from their counterparts on the Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour .
Rob [/b]
Thanks Rob.

So, another version of Shifting City... I'd like to hear that. Is it radically different to the other?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
[b]]The version of [b]Shifting City on Exotour 1997 is unique across the three releases. A couple of the tracks on The Omnidelic Exotour (most notably Hiroshima Mon Amour, The Quiet Men and The Noise) have been remixed (slightly) from their counterparts on the Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour .
Rob [/b]
Thanks Rob.

So, another version of Shifting City... I'd like to hear that. Is it radically different to the other? [/b]
Off the top of my head, there is no vocals in the coda, of the Ep version. i think the beginning is different on the full album version, and the double CD featuring the Omnidelic hybrid has several additions, such as intros and guitar stabs on other tracks, notably Quiet Men.
Wasn't dissing your site Alex, I think the redesign is very well done. I just thought the original issues deserved a place and not just a footnote.

Keep up the good work

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
No problem, I found your comments quite useful and I've taken them on board - when my server decides to respond, you'll see an even bigger discography! wink

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
OK - here we go!
Discography page

I've made pages for the individual Exotour albums and the Drive EP - which does add to the bigger picture (and bigger discography!). I always liked the covers though so it's nice to see them all together, although I still need a colour version of Exotour 98.

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I've made pages for the individual Exotour albums and the Drive EP - which does add to the bigger picture (and bigger discography!). I always liked the covers though so it's nice to see them all together, although I still need a colour version of Exotour 98.
The image you have for the Exotour 1998 is incorrect - in fact there isn't an album called Exotour 1998. You're using the sleeve for the 'never released' stand-alone album The Exotour as featured in an article I wrote for Extreme Voice.

This album would eventually became half of The Golden Section Tour / The Omnidelic Exotour double CD set.

You need the artwork for the Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour instead.

Rob

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Aaaah!!!! laugh

Would you be able to furnish me with the correct version?

I'm suddenly feeling the frustration of missing out on these CDs!!

I'll get there eventually... wink

Hi Alex,

A couple of comments if I may. Apologies if this seems overly picky or negative as no offence is intended.

Impressions. While I'm sure you've spent masses of time on your redesign, the first image that arrives on the screen when accessing is the man walking over the bridge. This is far too close to what Rob has done here on Metamatic , so that just seems a bit odd, and almost a tad ungrateful, given that you're able to promote your site as a guest here. Likewise, if you explore some of the pages at Metamatic, you'll see Rob has done some wonderful things with a black background twist to the white concept and design he has, so again, it's slightly derivative of something that's already been done.

Credit where credit's due. I appreciate some of the photos you've used are either from various releases or sourced from Rob and Metamatic, but I think you should be more specific on what they are, and who/where they were taken from, and also state this much closer to the images so that visitors can see for themselves what the source is. Having spent some time sourcing and licensing several images for publications over the past year or two (a sometimes lengthy and soul destroying process), just putting 'All images copyright John Foxx/Metamatic.com' on the front page is lazy. Additionally, given that you're using others work so openly, it's arguable whether your reasoning 'Quiet City is a John Foxx fan site, no infringement intended.' goes far enough. If you know what you're writing, and where images to be used are from, then help yourself not cause offence - intended or not - by spending some time to find out whether they're happy for the item to be used. If you can't locate the source, or be in a position to ask them, then don't use it. It's much better to do that than receive communication that will immediately put you on the back foot having to defend yourself.

Fonts and sizes, etc. It may be just me, but across your site, these all seem diferent in style, size and (ultimately) a bit jumbled and out of place when viewed next to each other. One of the beauties of John's designs, reflected here on Metamatic is the simplicity and elegance through the works. It's only my preference, but consistency and simplicity in design would help enormously for people navigating your site.

Discography. I appreciate you only have a fraction of the stuff Rob may have for any future Discography on Metamatic , but I think this is a bit weak and concentrates on your own personal preferences. Some of the smaller single sleeves are almost impossible to make out, so having those at a larger picture would give each release more interest, relevance and would not rely so heavily on your written assesments.

Reviews. Again, only my preference, but carefully editing some of the longer album reviews as they are would make them much easier to take in. Also, be consistent with your own views if that's what you want to put in. I notice sometimes in forum postings here on Metamatic , your comments on specifics are different to those you are willing to put on your own website. It's hard, but again, it will stop others thinking your aim is to be all things to all people if you think about what you may write on Quiet City before giving different judgements here .

Hope this gives you a few things to think about and helps improve the site.

All the best,

EG

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for your comments EG - this sort of thing is always very useful, especially as it's very easy to become a bit too absorbed in something and omit the finer detail in places.

Credits: I think I had more information regarding image credits on the previous version of the site, and I do intend to integrate that back - but I felt the disclaimer currently there would be OK in the meantime while I get the majority of the site together, which is about where I am now. I certainly don't want to litter the site with credits everywhere but, like you say they do need to be a bit more specific in places.

With so many fan-made pages using uncredited photos, on sites like Facebook or MySpace, I think it is easy to let credit like this slip, which of course isn't good practice. I certainly wouldn't like to find one of my images appearing uncredited somewhere, so it's only fair that I respect this ideaology with John, Rob or anybody else in mind where necessary.

Fonts etc: This new design has been a bit (ok, a lot!) of a learning curve for me, as it is the first time I've done anything in Dreamweaver - which may account for the inconsistencies in fonts you are seeing. I'll have to look into this and perhaps work towards a more web-friendly typographical standard then the usual 2-3 styles I'm used to working with in printed publications.

One thing I'm unhappy with is the leading - it seems too tight, but I'm yet to determine how to change this...

Over all the bridges: First and foremost, this site is a personal project out of my own interest - but in turn also something that will help raise John's profile and hopefully provide information for people just discovering his work, along the way. However, the last thing I would ever want to do, is tread on Rob's toes and devalue in any way, the hard work that goes into the official site. So I do take on board what you are saying about the first image on the home page (which was actually supposed to be the last!). I do need to re-work that Flash animation anyway, as there is a horrid line that appears on the bottom half way through...

Reviews: It's tricky with reviews... especially as I'm often changing or tweaking the reviews as I grow to love various albums more than before, or in some cases grow to appreciate an album that maybe didn't grab me at all, at first.

On here I'll write in a more conversational, spontaneuos way. But for the site - as an information source - I want to make the reviews as unbiased as I can, but without completely removing my views, since it's my site after all. I can understand how that can appear to be hypocritical at times though, but, I do try to remain in agreement with myself!

I think it would be wrong to express only my opinions in reviews, because an album I dislike, somebody else will inevitably love! So while I do want to get my opinion across, I guess the trick is to try and strike the balance between a serious and realistic overview of an album with a bit of background information, combined with my take on it - but hopefully not in a way that could be maybe offputting or over persuasive.

Just out of interest, which reviews do you think are too long?

Singles: You're right... they are too small and the designs are not standing out as well as they should.

At a later stage I do intend to add tracklistings for the singles.

The joy with a project like this, is that it's constantly evolving, whether its my taste, John's output or the technical side.

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Another nice thing about the new way I've done it, is that it's so much easier and quicker to update. I've just changed the Flash intro, swapping the bridge image with my favourite, the TPOE cover - although the old one might still be in your cache...

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.