Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#42764 03/14/12 10:00 AM
C
OP Offline
C
What are we all looking forward to?

Just noticed that Grimes (Claire Boucher) now signed to 4AD had her new album Visions released just last week, she was support at a gig I saw last year and her enjoyably madcap multi-tasking performance completely put the main act in the shade for me, it was frankly love at first sight (calm down old man!)

Claire had two albums issued/reissued last year: Geidi Primes and Halfaxa, which I'd have loved to say at least one had made it onto my best albums list of 2011, nearly, but not quite, I felt they were an interesting but mixed bag of gorgeous dreamy elusiveness and well, some tracks a tad melody harsh and fleetingly bordering on the irritable. So here's me hoping now for a full blown romance with Visions:

Genesis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olP3279j5_0

New albums from

Depeche Mode
Ultravox
Mesh
Paul Daley*

will be top of my list. Also, is Mr Numan due to get Splinter out this year?

Oh, and the odd 5 or 6 albums from Mr Foxx of course grin

*I'm being charitable here, as we have already waited 2 years for Paul's debut solo album ..... surely it will be this year confused

MikeG #42767 03/14/12 02:43 PM
So far this year, I’ve heard Belbury Tales by Belbury Poly and a return to form in Le Voyage Dans la Lune by Air. So far, the stand out is the stunning old-school minimal techno of Ssss by VCMG.

I’m looking forward to the new Words and Music album from Saint Etienne. I’ve also heard that David Sylvian and Joan Wasser (Joan As Policewoman) are recording an album together, no idea if it’ll be this year though. The new School of Seven Bells album Ghostory is out already but I’ve yet to hear it and I got some artwork through the post last week from Viv Albertine with a post-it note saying ‘thanks for being patient’ for the long overdue arrival of her debut album this year.

I've only heard a few pieces by Grimes but really liked what I heard. She's doing the smaller festivals this year like Field Day etc in and around London so maybe I'll get to live also.

Possible albums this year from Burial and Ghost in Saturn would be most welcome too.

OMD: English Electric

Quote:
..follow-up to History of Modern is in the making; dunno if it's due in 2012 but the official website had this to say:

We keep getting asked about the imagery and sound that will be associated with English Electric. The imagery is the more difficult issue. We already have a clear vision for the first priority in making an album; the direction of the music.

Regarding imagery; we have a dilemma. There would be a simple logic to basing something on recreating the front of the blue and cream Deltic Diesel prototype. However, there is also a reason for doing something totally fresh. EE is certainly an attempt to move forward, yet will also retain our distinctive style. Simply recreating the Deltic front would be more like another version of History of Modern and would tend to suggest that the music is a further exploration of that theme. We have, as yet, made no decision.

Lyrically, EE seems to be an exploration of how one's Utopian dreams often end in dystopic failure and regret. Musically, it uses many current sounds and styles. Dresden sounds very 'OMD,' Our System is like a Glitch style Stanlow/ROTT if that can be imagined. Helen of Troy sound like Georgia meets first album Depeche. Please Remain Seated, Decimal, and Atomic Ranch use programmed robotic voices and have a hint of Dazzle Ships to them. And there is more..much more!

cool

Originally Posted By: MemberD

Quote:
..follow-up to History of Modern is in the making; dunno if it's due in 2012 but the official website had this to say:

We keep getting asked about the imagery and sound that will be associated with English Electric. The imagery is the more difficult issue. We already have a clear vision for the first priority in making an album; the direction of the music.

Regarding imagery; we have a dilemma. There would be a simple logic to basing something on recreating the front of the blue and cream Deltic Diesel prototype. However, there is also a reason for doing something totally fresh. EE is certainly an attempt to move forward, yet will also retain our distinctive style. Simply recreating the Deltic front would be more like another version of History of Modern and would tend to suggest that the music is a further exploration of that theme. We have, as yet, made no decision.

Lyrically, EE seems to be an exploration of how one's Utopian dreams often end in dystopic failure and regret. Musically, it uses many current sounds and styles. Dresden sounds very 'OMD,' Our System is like a Glitch style Stanlow/ROTT if that can be imagined. Helen of Troy sound like Georgia meets first album Depeche. Please Remain Seated, Decimal, and Atomic Ranch use programmed robotic voices and have a hint of Dazzle Ships to them. And there is more..much more!

cool

I like that statement. It’s honest without giving too much away and it seems that they genuinely aren’t sure what they’re doing but they’ve got a rough idea. Which is a good thing as this may mean that it will be a proper group effort. I felt that History of Modern had a touch of the ‘Andy McCluskey solo album’ about it in places.

T
T
Originally Posted By: MemberD

Quote:
[...] Helen of Troy sound like Georgia meets first album Depeche.

Sounds like the album could be very good indeed. But let's hope by "first album Depeche" we are talking Puppets or Photographic rather than Boys Say Go or What's Your Name ...

H
H
Asa lifelong Blue Nile fan, for me the album event of the year is due next month - it's the debut solo album from Blue Nile frontman Paul Buchanan.

You may have seen him on Later With Jool Holland last week perofroming the title track - if not, here it is on Youtube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HGSFQo63r0

Much as I love synthpop in general and lush overproduced music in particular, it's good to remind yourself that sometimes all you need is a few minimalist piano chords and a great voice!

Last edited by Herbert the turbot; 04/26/12 08:18 AM.
Administrator
Administrator

Matthew Dear is finally releasing Beams, his follow up to 2010's Black City, via Ghostly International on August 28th.

You can hear Her Fantasy, the first single from it, here:

http://www.treblezine.com/index_2.cgi?mode=news&newsdate=20120530#5233

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I've got my eye on this, I've heard some streamed tracks, it sounds good.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/totally-enormous-extinct-dinosaurs/id487058744

Last edited by John Taylor; 06/10/12 08:32 AM.
Pet Shop Boys - Elysium, new studio album in September

cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.