Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
mmm..... like the man says, sounds like they haven't been away ..

a bit like OMD's comeback with If You Want It . .sounds like you may have heard it before but you obviously haven't .. it's got all the band's trademark sounds . .annoyingly catchy .. I just hope the album is more Rage in Eden than, say, Lament, but I doubt it somehow.

Administrator
Administrator

Hmmmm...

Good, but not brilliant (see what I did there wink

I listened to this with keen interest because of all the news surrounding the band etc, but I speak as one who has never been much of a fan and as such I know little of their material other than the big hits after the first album. blush

On the whole I 'liked' it, but wasn't blown away. It's obviously a single, and as such sounds quite instant, catchy and quite fresh. Musically strong (though unimaginative), and the chorus is impressionable and singy-alongy.

I was surprised to hear what I considered to be a poor opening verse in terms of the vocal - Midge's voice sounded too high and strained. Stronger and more confident as the song builds though...

It does sound familiar and predictable, which I think is vitally important, but I reckon it lacks any significant depth and is therefore ultimately disposable 'pop' music.

Sounds very enthusiastic and generally cheerful - my taste has gone left-field, avant-garde and experimental as I've grown older so its way off the mark in terms of buying potential for me personally. Same response as hearing Credo for the first time, and new PSB material.

But big song, good start, and I'm glad they are back.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I like it.Agree with all that has been said above.

I think the vocal is the weak spot.

Catchy as hell.Great to have them back I feel all 18 again grin

Brian

I'm not much of a fan of Ultravox in general, but gave it an honest listen nonetheless. First impressions were Midge's vocals sounded very weak. It's catchy enough though overall; nice piano lead and some good musical bits. That said, I wouldn't miss it if I never heard it again.

I suppose it's quite daring to reunite the original 80s lineup after so long - at least they still sound like Ultravox, so good luck to them.

The artwork for the cover has been released (escaped?):-) today

Don't know if I'm that keen.It has more subtlety if you zoom in though so I will reserve judgment until I get my copy.

Preorder links are up over at EV

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/store.shtml

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 04/24/12 05:51 PM.
The microsite is now up and running at www.ultravoxbrilliant.com which includes samples of all twelve tracks,videos and competitions. I have to say that I'm very impressed with what I've heard so far.

Blimey . .so that really *is* the artwork... when i saw it a few weeks ago I thought it was a mock up.

Looks like a stylish coffee cup ... nice tho.

H
H
Just heard "Brilliant" (the single) for the first time and didn't realy do a lot for me. As others have mentioned, Midge sounds surprisingly weak and the verse and chorus sound like they were stitched together from two different songs. Nice opening piano riff though - simple but memorable, like so many of Billy Currie's!

Another track from the new Ultravox album called The Change has cropped up on Rusty Egan's DJ mix on Electronic Rumours.

http://electronicrumors.com/2012/05/11/rusty-egans-exclusive-mix-for-electronic-rumors/

Brian

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.