Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 76 of 753 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 752 753
Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
Who did "A new dark age"? and "Trapped in a maze of mesh and lace" (probably not the correct title..)
"Trapped in a maze of mesh and lace" if the chorus goes something like "I'll stop the world and melt with you" then it's 'Melt With You' by Modern English (4AD) - Nouvelle Vague did a cover that was on a mobile phone ad last year.

[/b]
No! NOT Nouvelle Vague again...

GRRRRRRR!!!! mad mad mad [/b]
I'm not a fan either! I hate the way they take great songs, full of varied tones, emotion and colour and reduce them to the aural equivalent of wallpaper.

Garry

John Foxx: In Mysterious Ways

Bowie's live 'stage' album again today.

And yesterday FOUR elo albums in a row eek
'Eldorado', 'OLE', 'Discovery' and 'Zoom'. (Zoom being the comeback album after a thirteen year gap, and not a patch on the early ones) smile smile

S
SA Offline
S
Aaah , like these threads
yesterday it was a Bowie run -through:
Memories of a free Fest. - The Man Who Sold The World -
Ziggy ( Big Anniversary ),

then The Sisters First And Last And Always
( luv Afterhours too , still play this quite a bit )

Got into a Ronson jag ( this bootleg CD The Axeman Cometh
live, off TV , rehearsal cuts /takes)
and Ian Hunter's first solo LP (some ripping Ronno solos there)

Ended out with Cluster ,
just saw them play in Lyon beginning of May with a Quad /Surround sound set up , great stuff ,
almost no beats . Sweet ...

Today it's Klaxons; ‘Myths of the Near Future’ (again) and ‘Oramics’ by Daphne Oram.

Daphne Oram was the woman who built and designed the first BBC Radiophonic Workshop in 1958. She left to develop her own electronic music technique; ‘Oramics’ – which consisted of drawing onto strips of 35mm film which covered a series of photo-electric cells that in turn generated an electrical charge to control the sound fequency, timbre, amplitude and duration…all by 1963!

Garry

Daphne sounds well interesting..but wasn't it Delia Derbyshire who did the Radiophonic Workshop thing back then?

I've just been on Pandora to see what the Klaxons are all about..

Impressed, so far.

Pandora suggested up Interpol as a similar artist.

Pandora has no idea who Daphne Oram is, though.

Or Karl Bartos, strange, when Kraftwerk is there..

You should see the strange choices it comes up with for John Foxx..

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Daphne sounds well interesting..but wasn't it Delia Derbyshire who did the Radiophonic Workshop thing back then?
Hi D,

Delia took over from Daphne in 1962. Basically; during WW2 whilst most men-folk were away at war, Auntie Beeb’s radio service was staffed by a lot of women. The women weren’t allowed to do anything ‘manly’ like reading the news etc, but could be relied on to keep the services running*. Post-war, things remained much the same, which later on created the odd situation that most of the experimental electronic music made in the UK at the time was done by a) the BBC and b) women, because at the time, it seemed ‘too frivolous’ a subject for serious men to involve themselves with*. Daphne was only given the go ahead to start the Radiophonic Workshop only after the BBC found out that a radio station in Paris had set up something similar and didn’t want to be seen out of touch, and for some light programmes it was cheaper than an orchestra.

(* - this is NOT my opinion! Taken from interviews with Daphne Oram and Delia Derbyshire)

Garry

Quote:
I've just been on Pandora to see what the Klaxons are all about..

Impressed, so far.

Pandora suggested up Interpol as a similar artist.
The Klaxons album is a grower - their cover of 'It's Not Over' by Grace is everywhere at the moment.

I tried to like Interpol but they sounded like Joy Division-Lite to me - maybe I'm getting old!

Thanks Garry for that .. another of the Beeb's, and indeed electronic music's 'unsung heroes'.

is any of her stuff freely / readily available on the internet or elsewhere?

Page 76 of 753 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.