Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
It is actually a small wonder that I started to like John Foxx in Finland in early '80. Radio didn't play his songs, Finnish music magazines didn't write about him and where I lived there were no English music papers available. Those were different times.

My friend's sister had an compilation album called 'Modern Dance'. It had 'Europe After The Rain' by John Foxx among many other songs by other artists. That was where I hear a John Foxx song the first time. Few months later I saw 'Dancing Like A Gun' video on TV and after that I was sure this is my thing. I didn't know back then that John Foxx was the original singer of Ultravox. By the way, the same TV show showed also 'Europe and The Pirate Twins' by Thomas Dolby. It was the first time I heard of Thomas Dolby but that's another story.

After seeing 'Dancing Like A Gun' I wanted to buy 'The Garden' album but had no money. What to do? It was spring and snow had already started to melt. That is good time to collect empty beer and lemonade bottles. 'The Garden' cost about 40 Finn marks and bottle refund was 10 pennies a bottle. If I could found 400 empty bottles and sold them to a shop, I would be able to buy the record. I collected empty bottles around the town (or village) where I lived and my friend was with me doing the same. I'm not sure did it take a week or two, but eventually we managed to get enough bottles to get money for what we wanted to buy. There was no record shop where I lived so it had to be mail order back then. I ordered 'The Garden' vinyl album and as far as I remember my friend ordered 'Rage In Eden' by Ultravox on C-casette.

'The Garden' album arrived a week or so later. Can you imagine how precious thing 'The Garden' album was for me when I finally got it? It was so different than buying new music these days.

----------

It's 2012 and I like John Foxx more than ever. Last year was exceptionally good with the new records released. Several of my favourite artists released a great album (or two) in 2011, but if I had to choose just one, it has to be 'The Shape Of Things' by John Foxx and The Maths.

~ Tapio aka Mr Normall

A great story Tapio. I used to own Modern Dance too. It gave me the chance to hear artists I hadn't heard before. Many of them I still listen to today.

Brilliant Tapio! I remember you mentioning this in a pub once - I tried picturing the young Tapio, wandering the streets looking for bottles! Heh! Brilliant!

It does open up a good question though;

What is the most extreme thing you've done for a band you're passionate about?

I think my extreme was sleeping rough in Dublin in October because I'd blown my cash on Add N to (X).

But that's not methodical dedication like Tapio, that's just going out drinking with Add N to (X).

here's someone else's story on their life with Jon (sic.) Foxx

http://dogsanddice.co.uk/2012/02/john-foxx/

Martin O'Neill is now a collage artist and illustrator.

imagine Foxxy coming and tapping you on the shoulder when you're taking photos in Portobello Road!

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.