Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
smile Hi All,
I haven't posted here for quite a while (been very busy with something very special!), but thought that some here would appreciate knowing about this, if you don't already.

cool BBC Four are showing two programmes dedicated to the clearly wonderful music of classical composer Ralph Vaughan Williams. Both are in the eve of what is now today, Friday 13th Jan.

First up at 19.30 is a half-hour special titled The Lark Ascending. Diana Rigg explores the enduring popularity of The Lark Ascending, which was recently chosen as Britain's favourite piece of classical music by listeners to Desert Island Discs.
Here's a link for more info:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019c9t9

Right away after at 20.00, is a one and a half hour special titled The Passions of Vaughan Williams. Fifty years after his death, this musical and psychological portrait of the composer explores the passions that drove a giant of 20th century English music.
Here's a link for more info:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00bfmt4

Knowing the good ol' BBC, both programmes are likely to be absolutely spiffing and well worth viewing, and will probably be available for a while on the BBC iPlayer for those who miss these showings.

I must admit to not being an expert on either classical music or Mr Vaughan Williams, but the old adage "I know what I like" comes to mind, and I certainly very much like what I've heard of this composer ('The Lark Ascending' in particular, being achingly beautiful).

Enjoy!
Garden wink

Last edited by Garden of Surreal Dreams; 01/13/12 01:20 AM.
Thanks for the heads-up on this - Vaughan-Williams is one of my favourite composers along with William Walton and Frederick Delius.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.