Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
...and I herewith DEMAND City of Light be included on "Metadelic"!

:p

F
F
I think a lot of 80s acts had their best tracks on B-sides... OMD for instance had much of their best arty work on there!

Swimmer 2, Mr No, Glimmer, This City, A Woman on a Stairway, Dance With Me... all fantastic.
And does the punk violin version of "Hiroshima Mon Amour" count? That bowled me over the first time I heard it, and many times since...

Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
[b]
*Defects with Membs to form "CITY OF LIGHT "the Real John Foxx fans' forum " * laugh
:)
Actually, I was horrified to learn that I don't have "This Jungle" in digital form. My "The Garden" CD must be pretty old (CDV2194 '93?) and has a different track listing to the ones released in 2001 and 2008 - whoops! Time to review what I have/don't have in digital form and rebuy as my vinyl is beginning to become unlistenable!! [/b]
Yes, This Jungle didn't appear on the first CD. Somebody stuffed up and added the B-sides from The Golden Section.

This Jungle has long been one of my favourites. Night Suit was another stand out. And The Lifting Sky is great too.

Its first digital appearance was on Assembly.

D
D
Originally Posted By: MintyTux
Swimmer 1 (great track, screeching guitar and mad sax solo).

Am I right that this is now (finally) on the newest release of The Garden? Not sure I can justify the expense at the moment. Unless someone puts it on YouTube (several people have uploaded Swimmer 2) I might have to get the vinyl machine connected up again!

Hard to beat This City I guess and I love woman on a stairway too. However I am surprised nobody has mentioned Young Man. I love it and I break out in singing every time I hear it.

Administrator
Administrator
I'm with you on the above, Furniture re: singing to You-nnn-nnn-nnng Man etc

A Woman On A Stairway however is far more than John's best ever B-side. Time to re-state here my opinion that is perhaps THE best track he recorded during that whole 80s period...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I really liked and was always fascinated by Woman on a Stairway. I often imagined John writing it like he was painting a picture. It's a real work of art.

I only have to think of the title and images pop into my head of a Mona Lisa type painting on a stairway. Does that sound crazy?

H
H
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
I'm with you on the above, Furniture re: singing to You-nnn-nnn-nnng Man etc

A Woman On A Stairway however is far more than John's best ever B-side. Time to re-state here my opinion that is perhaps THE best track he recorded during that whole 80s period...

It's certainly a stand out, but like many of John's tracks of that era, is slightly let down by the plodding bass and cliched 1980s "Gated reverb" drums.

A good track sure, but to re-state my opinion, not a patch on "This Jungle"!

Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted By: Furniture
I only have to think of the title and images pop into my head of a Mona Lisa type painting on a stairway. Does that sound crazy?

Not at all - it's exactly that. Plodding bassline aside (never thought of it thus myself...) it's an absolutely fascinating composition.
Quite complex, richly layered, pschedelic etc

But to me more of a Duchamp 'painting' - even the title is not unlike some of his. Nude Descending A Staircase, NO. 2 being the obvious link

Last edited by Birdsong; 01/06/12 12:04 PM.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.