Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 69 of 753 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 752 753
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
This kind of fits with the lastest situation. Years ago i bought all the Bowie cds (at that time) when they came out with extra tracks, a few years later those remasters hit the shops but without extras. Cant wait for reissue, remastered, extra tracks versions, and the possiblity of buying about 30 albums again. :rolleyes:

Are they re-issuing them again with the extras? I saw the new edition of 'Young Americans' but couldn't find any news on 'Station to Station', 'Low' or 'Heroes'.

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Are they re-issuing them again with the extras? I saw the new edition of 'Young Americans' but couldn't find any news on 'Station to Station', 'Low' or 'Heroes'.
No it was just an impending thought.

I had no idea about the new edition of 'Young Americans' confused If its a remaster with extra tracks, im gonna go mad!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Quote:
No it was just an impending thought.

I had no idea about the new edition of 'Young Americans' confused If its a remaster with extra tracks, im gonna go mad!!!!!
It's a 2CD job with a DVD I think - I just saw it in HMV a few weeks back. That's what made me think that they may re-issue the others.

Quote:
Member D! You've not heard 'Low' before!?

I envy you -
Yeah, funny isn't it!? I've never really been 'into' Bowie even tho I've always heard what a major influence he is on everyone from Gary Numan to Kaiser Chiefs (or whoever the latest one is).
Although I can appreciate that, I've always sort of kept Bowie to one side ... perhaps its old age creeping on!

sonic youth - sister

their best album, in my all-time top-10.

just listening to 'from trash', great stuff but i must admit i prefer sideways.

V
V
I have been through a period where I sort of stopped listening to rock, and experimented various types of music, (trip-hop, drum'n'bass, chill-out). As a result, I had absolutely no wish to listen to anything new.

Last year I started digging my collection in search of 80's cd's and tapes, because I wanted to recapture the spirit of those years. This is what I'm listening to, at the moment:

Talking Heads
Wire - 154
Area - Arbeit Macht Frei
The triple Virgin collections by David Bowie and Roxy Music and Brian Ferry
Blancmange
Altered Images
"Marie-Antoinette" Soundtrack with (Bow Wow Wow, New Order, Adam and the Ants, etc.)
Brian Eno - Before and After Science
David Byrne and Brian Eno - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Ultravox - Ha ha ha ha! and "The Island Years" (those have been in my record player non-stop for a week now)

just listening to old prodigy singles (everybody in the place, charly, out of space), they sound still surprisingly good and all these early ones have excellent b-sides. timeless music!

Simple Minds – various tracks from Reel to Real Cacophony, Empires & Dance, Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call, New Gold Dream, Once Upon A Time, Cry and Black & White 050505.

Quote:
Originally posted by psychocandy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MemberD:
[qb]
i recommend scary monsters too, his last great album.
ooh, I'm afraid I have to disagree!

All the music journos hailed his last couple of albums as "the best thing since Scary Monsters" which was also the case with previous albums! But who cares about what the critics say. Personally I don't think Scary Monsters is that great. Take out the 3 main singles, and it's a standard rock album. I always thought "Ashes to Ashes" sounded sadly out of place on there.

His last truly great album for me was 1.Outside. The albums that followed – Earthling, Hours and Heathen were great, but not as great. I was very disappointed with Reality.

For me, Bowie's most creative periods were 1993-97 (with Outside and Buddha of Suburbia standing out as the best, and 1976-19, Station to Station through to Lodger.

But the Berlin Trilogy - Low/Heroes/Lodger – is a set of albums worth hearing. Lodger is the odd one out because it has no instrumentals (and it wasn't actually recorded in Berlin either... but neither was all of Low!) however I think it is one hell of an underrated album. Lodger is just as experimental as Low or Heroes but in a different way. It experiments with sounds in the same way the other two albums do, but from a different pallette - this time being more world music oriented. The first part of Lodger is a bit like a travelogue, with a lot of eastern musical influences. And overall it contains some of his best vocals and most unusual songs.

Page 69 of 753 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.