Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 68 of 753 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 752 753
I must be turning Japanese!! Today Japan - 'Tin Drum' IMO the album where they finally reached there full potential.

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
David Bowie : Low , never listened to it before in my life.
eek So, what do you think of it, listning to it 30 years after it was released??

is it really that old? well, quite good actually .. I'd always heard it was his 'down' album (hence title) but it doesn't seem particularly so by my standards anyway. I'd always liked the drum sound on Sound & Vision which seems to be constant throughout - i was also surprised that some tracks are really short, although some extra long ones there too. (Warszawa)
Quite strange starting with an instrumental, esp considering Bowie has / had such a characteristic voice, but all in all I am pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
i was also surprised that some tracks are really short
yeah, breaking glass for instance. but a great album, although i prefer "heroes".

I think that'll be next .. second part of the Berlin trilogy or something?

Quote:
I think that'll be next .. second part of the Berlin trilogy or something?
yeah, the best part IMHO. too bad lodger is a bit disappointing after those, maybe because it's not as experimental, there's no instrumentals.

i recommend scary monsters too, his last great album.

yeah I listened to scary monsters a few times when it first came out - there was a weird cool guy at Sixth form who was really into Bowie and he used to go around with SM under his arm! We got sort of friendly because I told him I liked the Human League who were still pretty hip (pre-Dare) and Metamatic by a bloke called John Foxx! - and so we used to listen to SM on the common room record player ... ahhhh, happy times.

Haven't listened to it since tho so it might be worth a spin.

Luxuria - Beast Box (Love it!!)
Devoto/Shelley - Buzzkunst
The Clash - London Calling & The Story of the Clash

Argh! double Post - Sorry...

This kind of fits with the latest situation. Years ago i bought all the Bowie cds (at that time) when they came out with extra tracks, a few years later those remasters hit the shops but without extras. Cant wait for reissue, remastered, extra tracks versions, and the possiblity of buying about 30 albums again. :rolleyes:

Played the Japan - 'Tin Drum' a second time since this morning and decided its in my all time top 20 albums. If it was not for John and Ultravox it would be in my top 10!!

Member D! You've not heard 'Low' before!?

I envy you - I wish I could experience the joy of hearing that album for the first time again!

I find it hard to belive Bowie recorded it to be honest - that's Eno for you!

Now I've got 'A New Career...' in my head laugh

Page 68 of 753 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.