Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Administrator
Administrator
I'm also quite fed up that I had to leave XOYO early. Yes, The Neat were good but really? Supporting two synth heavy electro bands??

Further delays cos Xeno... took an age to set up, and then there was problem with Benge's drum thingy.
Should have just had Xeno... and got them set up from the beginning so they could have started at half eight maybe?

I agree with Andreas that X and O were BRILLIANT as I hoped they would be. A superb live set and I will definitely seek them out again if I get the chance.
Best support act I've seen for years and it was worth the trip to London just for that.

I don't travel well as many of you know, and lots of people in tight spaces is a real issue for me these days. I couldn't get out fast enough, so in a way running for the last train wasn't such a bad thing... sick

So yes, I only managed 'one gig' but I chose the right one. I'm now officially in love with Liz Wendelbo and dancing to their set with Serafina Steer's hair whipping in my face was an added bonus!

Last edited by Birdsong; 10/30/11 09:51 AM.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Originally Posted By: John Taylor
Not great quality but thought I'd share.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice ones John thanks for sharing.

This would seem to be the best documented JF tour Ever!

Administrator
Administrator
Here's Ben Hogwood's review of the XOYO shows for musicomh:

http://www.musicomh.com/music/gigs/john-foxx-and-the-maths_1011.htm

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
...dancing to their set with Serafina Steer's hair whipping in my face was an added bonus!

Oh, the things we must endure for art! wink

Administrator
Administrator
And here's another glowing review from a fan's blog:
(including a lot of pictures)

http://melmelis.blogspot.com/2011/10/john-foxx-and-maths-xoyo-27th-october.html

More blogging and some nice pics here . .especially of Hannah

Version Crazy

M
M
Originally Posted By: MemberD
More blogging and some nice pics here . .especially of Hannah

Yes sir, I like it.

Last edited by Mr Normall; 11/02/11 06:21 PM.
T
T
Hi all smile

I've put up some more clips from the XoYo gigs

http://www.youtube.com/tokyohunter

I think the clips from the 25th when I was on the right side have better sound, I was on the left on the 27th,quite near a very bassy speaker.I might edit them together and use the sound from the right hand side night.

This 2 gigs were amazing. My favourite setlist so far... and the Hannah's violin works so well integrated into those tracks, and great to hear that live bass by Serafina particularly on Interplay (one of the high points of the night)

Shatterproof is such an electrifying opener, he so means business on that performance! , it's totally captivating.

Great to see so many clips up by everyone, really interesting to see how each venue affects the setup for the band etc, and the variations in performance on each night.

I guess next up is the release of the live dvd from the Roundhouse???

Grump mode: On

It's a shame this gig ended badly in various ways, with both shows being delayed so many fans had to miss part of it by needing to leave early, and obviously with John's accident after the second gig.

Part of me wonders if too much is often being made of these London gigs; ie trying to fit too many acts on to the bill etc, when all everyone really wants is to see John Foxx play live.

Grump mode: Off

Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted By: Alex S
Grump mode: On

It's a shame this gig ended badly in various ways... Part of me wonders if too much is often being made of these London gigs; ie trying to fit too many acts on to the bill etc, when all everyone really wants is to see John Foxx play live.

Grump mode: Off

I think you raise a couple of good points there , Alex.

As one of the people who had to leave early, I was quite narked by the late start to the show. But these technical issues do happen and sometimes that's just the way it is.
XOYO was especially difficult because of the location and the curfew which presented any soundchecking before 6pm.
I'm not sure that X and O even had a chance to unpack anything...??

The potential for delay wasn't built into the time table

Second it was mid-week, and that's very difficult for a lot of people with jobs, lives etc.... :-(
There didn't really seem much "point" in The Neat being on the second bill (good, tight and prompt though they were)because it inevitably lead to potential for delay. There was only one support at all the other shows I believe - perhaps the Artrocker 'sponsorship' had something to do with that...?

However, I'm in the camp that very much does NOT go to these gigs just to see John Foxx and I chose this gig over Tuesday specifically to see Xeno and Oaklander.
I take support acts very seriously (discovered some great bands that way - eg Rubicks) and actually their performance more than made up for having to leave the venue early.

I do think there is scope for perhaps more 'regional' shows because John does always tend to play in the same cities and they can be difficult to get to if you are not local.
But that said, I expect gigs need to be booked well in advance and I'm not sure how easy that is with the schedule of things.

And John has said countless times that he hates touring, so we can't complain that he's prepared to go on the road at all!
Ironic though that he recently admitted that "he has to go in for repairs" after a tour...Of course he didn't mean that literally, but it was a shame the tour ended prematurely because, if nothing else, Holmfirth was a chance to see John away froma big city and many people expecting to go to that would not have seen him before.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.