Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#41338 10/10/11 01:46 PM
S
Scott Offline OP
OP Offline
S
He's appearing on Jools Holland tomorrow & again on the longer show on Friday. He'll be joined by a 46 piece orchestra apparently. His new album "New Blood" is out today. I'll watch the shows before deciding whether to buy it as I haven't heard any of it yet.

Scott #41339 10/10/11 03:49 PM
I've only heard a snippet of "Red Rain", which sounded great and "Don't Give Up" which sounded awful! The special edition of the album comes with a CD of instrumental versions, which I think will be interesting.

I suspect the album will have a mixed reception. It's clearly one for the Gabriel die-hards, but I reckon some will moan that it's not new songs and others won't like it because of the orchestral nature of it.

Personally, I'm more excited about this project that the Scratch My Back covers album - given that it's not your run of the mill greatest hits (four of his greatest hits are notably absent from the CD). I think it will be interesting to hear a more stripped back approach, and how the instrumentation has been adapted.

Scott #41384 10/12/11 11:16 AM
My initial thoughts on New Blood...

It's always a cause for alarm when your favourite artist ditches the usual band in favour of an orchestra. Peter Gabriel's musical mid-life crisis began last year, with covers album Scratch My Back, which wasn't bad, but not particularly memorable. Plus it wasn't Peter Gabriel songs, which is one of the main things that interests me in his music. So with that in mind, there is some rejoicing to be had with the release of New Blood, an orchestral reinvention of Gabriel back catalogue favourites – not to be confused with greatest hits, as many of his most popular tracks such as "Sledgehammer", "Games Without Frontiers" or "Shock the Monkey" are appropriately absent.

On first impressions, New Blood isn't your stereotypical symphonic album; it's quieter than expected, and the moments where you expect the music to leap out, it does quite the opposite – and vice-versa. While some tracks simply sound like new arrangements of their counterpart originals, others have been turned completely upside down. Never one to do things by the book, Gabriel has deliberately avoided the use of guitars and drum kits, which has led to some unusual results.

Tracks such as "San Jacinto" and "Wallflower" from Gabriel's fourth album have never sounded better, perhaps surpassing the originals, as they sound like they were always intended to be played this way. "Intruder" takes a very different approach to the drum-heavy original, but manages to be just as dark and creepy. The same goes for opening track, "The Rhythm of the Heat", clearly chosen because the original was so focussed on percussion, but transformed into something equally as dramatic.

However it's 1986's "Red Rain" which steals the show. Not only does the stunning, cinematic new arrangement prove the timelessness of Gabriel's songwriting, but it reinvents the song for a whole new generation. I can easily imagine hearing snippets of this in films or adverts for some time to come.

In contrast, "Digging in the Dirt" sadly fails to perform, instead sounding much more interesting on the instrumental bonus disc, which contains, as you may suspect, an instrumental version of the album, which holds up as a brilliant piece of work in itself. "A Quiet Moment" is not a song at all, but a few minutes of ambient sound and distant birdsong, recorded live on Solsbury Hill – which eventually leads into Solsbury Hill itself, which closes the album.

Gabriel's vocals are as emotive as ever, although age has led him to re-evaluate some of the higher notes, but without losing any impact or distinction. Appearing as backing vocalist on most tracks, Gabriel's daughter Melanie's vocals are sadly rather quiet in comparison to her father's, and Ane Brun comes across ather shrill for my taste on "Don't Give Up". With that in mind, maybe this is one track that should never have been touched, because let's face it – you simply cannot replace Kate Bush.

Although some fans may be frustrated that New Blood doesn't contain any new songs, it's simply nice to have a new album from Peter Gabriel, especially just 18 months after Scratch My back, which in his timescales must be close to light speed. But those are minor gripes. New Blood is an ambitious and creative piece of work, the results proving that Peter Gabriel is just as significant today as he ever was.

Scott #41389 10/12/11 01:57 PM
S
Scott Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Watched him last night on Jools Holland & "Solsbury Hill" was awesome. I preferred that to "Red Rain". Will most probably order the album at the weekend.

Alex S #41391 10/12/11 03:29 PM
Nice review Alex - I haven't heard it all through properly, but I agree that Red Rain came over very well when I heard it on the radio, and - yes - Don't Give Up without Kate isn't quite the same and could never be.

Scott #41397 10/12/11 06:04 PM
He really should have used Paula Cole. The chemistry between them on the Secret World tour was superb.

Scott #41401 10/12/11 08:50 PM
Actually listening to In Your Eyes and Don't Give Up on i-tunes previews had me reaching for the originals on So.

..and what happened to the 25th anniversary edition?

Alex S #41404 10/12/11 09:48 PM
Watched the half hour Jules Holland last night and was quite surprised to be blown away by Solsbury Hill and Red Rain.

I think I've mentioned elsewhere what i thought of the new Digging in the Dirt,bloody terrible so we are in agreement.

Good review Alex.

I will catch the full hour show on Friday night before I decide to buy or not.

Scott #41410 10/13/11 10:01 AM
The instrumental version of Digging is really good. I think it's the vocal arrangements that don't work for me.

It's interesting to have the bonus disc of instrumentals. There's also a bonus track of Blood of Eden (with Vocals) and the Womad shop also sent me Father, Son which isn't included on the album.

However in the complimentary digital download booklet PDF, they mention Signal to noise which doesn't appear on the album in any form!

Scott #41482 10/17/11 10:06 AM
I watched the rest of Peter's performance on "Later" over the weekend - absolutely fantastic. The Rhythm of the Heat sounded amazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.