Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 691 of 753 1 2 689 690 691 692 693 752 753
Tara Busch: "The Rocket Wife E.P."

Kind of stuck on this one at the moment.

S
S
Originally Posted By: MemberD
last 12 hours or so:
Snapshots - Kim Wilde (a collection of cover versions)
Villa Nah - Origin
John Lennon - Imagine (40 years old this month)

Black (Colin Vearncombe) also has a new album out but I found it a bit dull.

Colins new album "Any Colour You Are" is a best of album as voted by his fans Mark. Is this the one you're talking about?

What did you think of the Villa Nah album?

Last edited by Scott; 09/14/11 10:57 AM.
yes, Scott.."Any Colour You Like" .. didn't realise it was a 'best of' except for the obvious inclusion of Wonderful Life which has been re-recorded, ditto 'Sweetest Smile'.
I only ever had the first album and I remember those tracks from that .. just all the tracks on this new one seemed really slow. Lacking a bit of oomph like, say, Everything Is Coming Up Roses or I'm Not Afraid off the first album.

Villa Nah - yes, pleasant enough although i wasn't very inspired. In places, sort of sounded as if OMITD had met The Human League in mid-1980. I'll have to give it another shot. Not as immediate as, say, Mirrors who are in a similar vein. (they're more OMITD meets Depeche Mode in 1980..but I'm waffling).

The Kim Wilde one is pretty dour - I was attracted by the setlist: she does some 'classics' like Wonderful Life (see above), In Between Days, Ever Fallen in Love, Sleeping Satellite but not very remarkably. May attract some kinds of mid-40's (male) listeners but not this one.

2 albums on the iPod constantly - both by The Bolshoi
1) Friends
2) Lindy's Party

Still dumbstruck how they never made it big!

S
S
David Bowie - Heathen

This is a fantastic album. I've recently bought his last 6 releases three of which have arrived , Buddha of Suburbia & Outside the others , this is by far the best. Slip Away is an outstanding track & blew me away.

Cabaret Voltaire - Photophobia

In the mood for some angsty vein-severing distorted electronica from my angsty (not) youth.

C
C
earlier today it was a brief moment of EBM with a 'Laibach Medley' from the bands Volk Dead In Trbovlje 2008 DVD,

however, complete change of mood and pace now as I've been listening online to tracks from Agnes Obel's Philharmonics album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NmjJeNFUVU&feature=related

I love her cover version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BxXZ1gH3pM

Administrator
Administrator
Oooooh laugh

The Agnes Obel track's (above) are really nice.
Thanks for the heads up - Philharmonics sound slike a great album.

I like this video especially, for the track 'Riverside'.

Very Foxxian! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjncyiuwwXQ

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
The new Gary Numan album "Dead Son Rising" which is very hit and miss and is disappointing considering he has been working on this for almost 5 years. Worth a mention are the tracks, The Fall, For The Rest Of My Life and Not The Love We Dream Of all of which are pretty good the rest is mediocre at best.

C
C
Originally Posted By: MemberD
The Kim Wilde one is pretty dour... May attract some kinds of mid-40's (male) listeners but not this one.

That made me laugh MemberD. In the early 90's I once had Kim Wilde stood posing right next to me for a short while in a London Gallery as she was having a photo shoot of sorts. I was doing some close-up photography of exhibits in a cabinet and never noticed her as I was completely absorbed and oblivious to her 'aura', only afterwards did a star-struck attendant inform me of my proximity to the 'Kid From America'. Dammit, I believe that she was hobnobbing with specky ginger DJ Chris Evans at the time, as a specky, once-gingerish person myself I feel that I unwittingly blew my chances that day...

Originally Posted By: Scott
David Bowie - Heathen. This is a fantastic album... Slip Away is an outstanding track & blew me away.

Totally agree Scott, its such a beautiful track, Slip Away is 100% classic Bowie.

Originally Posted By: Gary Hunter
"Dead Son Rising" which is very hit and miss and is disappointing considering he has been working on this for almost 5 years

It'll be interesting to read reviews and listen to some excerpts when they surface.

Originally Posted By: Birdsong
Oooooh laugh

The Agnes Obel track's (above) are really nice.
Thanks for the heads up - Philharmonics sounds like a great album. I like this video especially, for the track 'Riverside'.
Very Foxxian! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjncyiuwwXQ

Yes, her music really takes root in the mind. That version of 'Close Watch sends shivers down my spine, her style has a lovely minimalist manner that works a subtle but powerful charm, glad you've enjoyed it Martin.

I recall seeing the enigmatic album cover photograph a few months ago, its an image inspired by Tippi Hedren's character in the film The Birds. The work of Alfred Hitchcock is an influence on Obel's creativity.

I had her youtube playlist on repeat yesterday, and I notice shes playing at Stereo over in Glasgow in November, but factoring in all the various travel costs from where I live, gig ticket, bite to eat and a few drinks, and just a casual gig like this can cost me almost £50 for a night out, so I've settled for buying instead the Deluxe Philharmonics CD, great value posted for £8 from cdwow.

Page 691 of 753 1 2 689 690 691 692 693 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.