Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Quote:
Originally posted by Rodney:
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
[b]... just remaster it, then add bonus tracks, like re-mixes etc. Although as i said at the time, ultimately its John's material to re-purpose it. Personally, i like albums to be as they were.
For what it's worth, purely as an opinion, I agree. From my perspective, as a fan going right back to the original releases (as most of us are, I presume), I would prefer a remastered reissue of the original album tracks in their original order, since that is the way we got to know the material originally. I find it difficult to appreciate an album reconfigured with different tracklistings, even if the artist prefers it that way because that was the way it was originally supposed to be (including track titles and artwork). I appreciate this is somewhat a selfish point of view, but since we are the ones that this impacts on (the fans who do go back to the 'beginning', as opposed to the new customers who know no better), I would prefer things left original with as much unreleased material as the artist is prepared to release as 'bonus material' (which is hugely appreciated, of course) on the CD or as a separate CD all together.

I'm going to struggle somewhat with Thomas Dolby's forthcoming The Golden Age Of Wireless CD though, because it is in the original format and I got to know it with one of the later versions ... talk about contradicting yourself! wink

Cheers ... [/b]
Agree, the original material on the first disc please, the rest on the second one! smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Forgive me if I missed something - but there's never been any indication that TPOE tracklisting would be changed or re-ordered or anything.

Where's that notion come from?
Maybe im going loopy, but i remember it was stated a while ago, around the time it was being prepared for remastering. Also it was unclear at the time if 'Shifting City' had been re-worked too. As its already been remastered around seven months ago.

H
H
The only issue I have is; does TPOE really need remastering? As far as I remember, the album was recorded almost exclusively using computer-based softsynths and then maximised to sound as loud as possible without compromising sound quality.

I agree with John's pre-comeback albums being remastered to take advantage of new digital technology but have we really advanced so far since TOPOE was released in terms of sound quality that a remaster is necessary?

Personally I don't think it does - there's no problem with the sound at all, unlike its predecessor.

It does need reissuing, and if that presents an opportunity to expand the artwork and add extra stuff, then great. But I really hope the original album isn't tampered with too much - if at all. Out of the new mix of Cities of Light and the original, I still prefer the original.

Shifting City, likewise, except this one will benefit enormously from the remastering as it's so quiet.

In both cases I can't wait to find out what extras will be thrown in.

Shifting City is the one I'm really looking forward to. I came onto the Foxx scene around 3 years ago, and since then it has not been possible to get a (used) copy of this CD at a sensible price. No sign of any new copies either!

So I imagine there is quite a lot of pent-up demand for this album. When you add in the reported sound quality deficiencies of the original release, this could well turn out to be the biggest seller of the re-issues.

I guess it really was his 'comeback' album, planting him back in the urban settings of Metamatic for the first time since 1980.

Although, I have to be honest, my copy of Shifting City sounds fantastic since I booted the sound levels in iTunes. Although of course the CD version is still the same...

It'll be nice to have expanded artwork too, as the booklet was a little sparse.

H
H
Couldn't you just turn up the volume?

Oh damn, never thought of that...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Oh damn, never thought of that...
Hahaha! laugh

(that's why I love this forum)

Cheers Halloway and Alex!

smile

I'm curious to know what the extras for Shifting City will be.

I guess there's a good chance that the second disc could be the Subterreanean Omnidelic Exotour tour CD but I'm hoping that, since this is where Louis and John started creating things together, there may be a pool of tracks from that original period of creativity that we've never heard before.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.