Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:

Crash and Burn - "Smoke": a recent revelation, something someone said on here about it being the aftermath of the car crash that is "Ray 1/Ray 2".
That was me cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:

That's maybe because they were SINGLES ??? and written, produced and recorded to be heard in isolation - especially Burning Car. To capture a moment in time. I don't know, but I expect that has something to do with it.

I think that since John Foxx is now an 'album only' artist since his second coming, it has become much harder (and ultimately unrealistic) to lift particular songs out of context and identify them as 'favourites'.

Which (to an extent) explains the difficulty we all faced - and perhaps the artists themselves will - when compiling our hypothetical 'Best of John and Louis' lists.
It may also be a contributing factor among the reasons he and Louis have not released a single.
An interesting thought. Perhaps you are right with the singles.
For me it was hard to take my fav. track of every album too but I'm sure I would find a track for a single. Perhaps this had to do with I haven't had any singles of John & Ultravox! at the time the albums were released. I got the singles many years later on E-bay or as some trade items for other things. I think this is the reason it isn't much difficult for me to find a single track.

But I agree with you we all would have different tracks for a single.
I remember the discussion for a single of the Crash& Burn album and some people agreed (incl. me!) for "Drive" as a single track. Some time later the Drive EP were released as a bonus special to the Crash&Burn Tour.
I would love to have more EP's like this - a good way to get some bonus stuff. And I think the Drive EP works perfectly - music and artwork. I love it!

wink Andreas

OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:

The Pleasures of Electricity - "Quiet City". Canary Wharf in January after the madness of Christmas gives way to blank cold undecorated nights, but the days begin to start earlier again.

Fantastic, Mark! A great comment to the track (which I love too). It describes the atmosphere of this masterpiece perfectly! During I heard Quiet City for the first time my hair stood up on my neck... laugh

Cheers, Andreas wink

M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
So we are keen to see your fav. list . wink
and here it be...

Shifting City:
CRASH

The Pleasures Of Electricity:
UPTOWN/DOWNTOWN

Crash & Burn:
DUST AND LIGHT

DRIVE e.p:
MAKING MOVIES

From Trash:
NEVER LET ME GO

Sideways:
NEURO VIDEO

OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Quote:
[b]So we are keen to see your fav. list . wink
and here it be...

Shifting City:
CRASH
[/b]
Thanks Mr. Ilektrik!

I love this track too and it seconds my fav. track "Shadow Man". Would be great if we could enjoy "Crash" live one day. I think it would work very well on a gig. wink

Cheers, Andreas

C
C
Quote:
with John's work especially it is very difficult to isolate specific tracks from an album which was conceived as a whole project
I agree, but for me the exception is Shifting City, its the only album that I am not totally convinced is a whole project. I think of it as an eclectic transitional work, with tracks either reconstructed from, or stylistically inspired by former projects or periods.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
I have to listen to all of John & Louis' album's again...
...but 'Here we Go' will NOT be on there. The weakest track from 'Shifting City'
It’s certainly a low energy track compared to some of the rest, and I can understand why it would not be seen as a flagship choice.
The reason it stays with me, and why I choose it here, is that it perfectly sums up how I felt emotionally about this album, or more so, about John’s totally unexpected ‘first proper’ reappearance since ’85.
It just fits the whole experience for me.

“Ever wonder just which way to go...?

…I never, ever found the way back home,
Goes to show I didn't want to know”

At that time I was just completely astonished that John was back at all, but there was also a kind of slight unease for me about it. Musically it all sounded a bit anachronistic and displaced, and I was left feeling uncertain about where it was all going, little could I realise of course that we’d all end up several years later with many fine new albums by John!

“Days and nights and years all come and go…

…I always lose the thread but catch the flow”

Quote:
It is funny, core memory how the least favourite of one person grew up to a first place for another one... And we all love the music of the same artist. For me the best album is Shifting City - in fact of it's (hope I find the right words) simple, pure, rough and "unpolished" sound. This has certainly to do 'cause of it is their first album - but I love it so much 'cause exact of these reasons I mentioned before. I really looking forward to the re-release with bonus tracks out of that period.
I wouldn’t necessarily have chosen any of the ‘Beatlesque’ tracks on SC for this thread, but I do really prefer the Omnidelic versions of these much more.
I’m also intrigued by SC’s future reissue, hopefully an expanded version will give me more insight into that past time. I think when it happens I’ll be in a better position to re-evaluate it as a whole concept. smile

Quote:
The Pleasures of Electricity [b]Camera
I just love the relentless gentility of it. Reminds me of 1982's Endlessly in places and the ending is perfect. Haunting, standout track on their most atypical album.[/b]
I’ve enjoyed focusing in on the album’s for this thread, and it’s made me go back and re-listen to TPOE, and I honestly don’t know why I sort of mostly ignored this album.
True, I was a bit unconvinced by certain things, some of John’s vocals, the too obvious Kraftwerkian beats and the salute to their music, but I really love this album right now, and find myself excited by it. For me it’s the most interesting, and esoteric of the John/Louis albums.
Okay, I’d still probably say that ‘Invisible Women’ is the weakest track for its lazy musical recycling of Underpass/This City, but TPOE has now sneaked its way into third position of my all time top three JF albums. smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.