Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#38843 05/18/08 10:20 AM
K
K
Just thought I would comment on my experience of Goths interest in John.
About a decade ago, I co-ran a one off night club event, the name of which referenced one of the great mans songs. It was Retro in theme, the idea was to play primarily British, 80's music which was a bit more alternative. The stuff you would have heard in underground clubs in the 80's rather than on Countdown. We did some general promo and some specifically aimed at the Goths including a radio spot where we played some Foxx, awful I know, but I can't remember which track. We played Underpass on the night and the song was picked up and played at some of the Goth clubs, where it was pretty well received.
It doesn't surprise me at all that Goths are interested in The Garden, all that beauty and decay and Dancing Like a Gun is great to dance the Gothic Two-step to, but rather why they haven't embraced tracks like The Man Who Dies Everyday and The Wild, the Beautiful and the Damned. Would have thought those two would make great gothic anthems.
Yours in PVC and lace,
Katja.

#38844 05/18/08 12:32 PM
I go - or should I say I used to go, when I had more time - to a synthpop night in Sheffield. They usually play Underpass or Europe (though on one occasion I did get the DJ to play A Million Cars), but the majority of stuff played is more along the lines of Numan, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Mesh, Simple Minds, OMD, Soft Cell, Duran Duran, Visage, Ultravox, Flock of Seagulls, New Order, etc - all that kind of stuff. Great night actually.

I would say a large part of the crowd is always made up of goths. And they usually happen to be the nicer folk too! Now I wouldn't have thought of it as a goth night, since stuff like Sisters of Mercy for example don't usually get a look in. But they go, and they dance to Underpass and do the clicking thing.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that there are goth fans.

#38845 05/18/08 12:38 PM
I told the friend I dragged along that there were supposed to be goths at the Sydney concert based on the remarks in their forums. I didn't really notice any but he kept saying "Oh, he's a goth" or "She's a goth too". Not sure if he was pulling my leg or not but they didn't look overly obvious to me.

#38846 05/19/08 08:11 AM
K
K
There were I would say 6 legitimate Goths at the Sydney show. One was the one who did the review for the Goth site, she is also a well known DJ on the scene. They were pretty underdressed so perhaps not easily spotted. I was a bit surprised there weren't more.
Anyway, Goths seem to love a Retro night out. Without starting an arguement, I have always considered Goths as the love children of Punks and New Wavers/New Romantics.

#38847 05/19/08 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Katja:
There were I would say 6 legitimate Goths at the Sydney show. One was the one who did the review for the Goth site, she is also a well known DJ on the scene. They were pretty underdressed so perhaps not easily spotted. I was a bit surprised there weren't more.
So my friend was right? He counted about 4 or 5. There was one with short, bright red hair and tats all over her back and a guy with long straight hair. That's about all I can remember.

Do you have the link for that review or has it already been posted here?
Quote:

Anyway, Goths seem to love a Retro night out. Without starting an arguement, I have always considered Goths as the love children of Punks and New Wavers/New Romantics.
That's probably spot on.

#38848 05/19/08 08:27 PM
I was rarely on the site the last weeks 'cause of work, but I want to say a big thank you to all the members who gave so nice reports, links for interviews and photos from the Australian tour. I enjoyed it reading a lot and it seems you all had a great time ( sure thing - it's John!!!).

And I want to say thanks to John and Louis for traveling to Australia and Japan - it's great!

wink Andreas

#38849 05/20/08 08:25 AM
K
K
LOL Atom - YOU posted the link!

"And here's some Goths who seem to think John's one of them! Clueless Goths web page "

Montags hair isn't red and black anymore it's black and kind of bluey/green, hard to tell in artificial light.

Katja

PS Excuse the clumsy post, am technologically challenged.

#38850 06/06/08 12:51 PM
Talking of the Goth-Foxx link, I happened across this compilation album earlier today: -

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/product.aspx?R=651795&bci=7|CD

#38851 06/06/08 01:01 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Cool. One of the rare examples of No-One Driving on a compilation.

The 'Goth' genre tend to pick up Underpass or Mr No, or the more obvious Systems/Garden material

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#38852 06/09/08 05:30 AM
I thought I'd do one final sweep with Google to see if there were any more reviews, interviews or comments.

These are the only new things I could find -

Newspaper review posted by a reader.
Not sure if this was posted before. Brisbane concert review and comment.
Tour announcement with some reader comments.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.