Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#38726 11/29/07 12:01 PM
"Your Shadow" is by far my favourite too!

I don't listen to the radio so I can't answer your question!

However I do believe at the time, Radio One played She Robot in full...

#38727 11/29/07 12:51 PM
Administrator
Administrator
For what its worth, I think this EP is a real gem.

My own favourite is Underwater Dream Sex which I consider to be among John's very best tracks. Top Five vote for Luminaire...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#38728 11/29/07 12:54 PM
Those 3 b-sides are all real gems, and essential listening for all fans of John's work - they somehow manage to connect to all aspects of his music and influences.

At the time I thought those b-sides were generally better than half of the album tracks on C&B.

#38729 11/29/07 01:21 PM
alec Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
My own favourite is Underwater Dream Sex which I consider to be among John's very best tracks.
yeah, that's an amazing track.

#38730 11/29/07 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Those 3 b-sides are all real gems, and essential listening for all fans of John's work - they somehow manage to connect to all aspects of his music and influences.

At the time I thought those b-sides were generally better than half of the album tracks on C&B.
Yeah! How did Ray 1/Ray 2 get on the album, but not any of those?

Mind you, it was released after the album so perhaps they're not all from the C&B recording sessions

#38731 11/29/07 01:40 PM
I talked with John about this, the first time I met him. My memory is a bit hazy now but I think he said he recorded the new tracks after Crash & Burn.

But don't quote me on that!

I also remember him saying he was really pleased with it as "they had put it together while I was away" - or something to that effect.

#38732 11/30/07 02:44 PM
I remember the hot discussion of releasing a single CD after Crash And Burn was released. Many fans wanted to have a single , perhaps with bonus tracks included. So, I assume John had heard the wishes of his fans and the result was the Drive EP; first availlable on the Crash And Burn Tour.

I like this CD a lot , music and cover art wise, and for my opinion John should do the same from time to time. It is nice to have singles with bonus tracks - as in tradition of the 7"inch vinyl's b-sides.

Andreas

#38733 11/30/07 04:13 PM
Even though singles, as a marketing tool, aren't what they used to be, I do think that it's a shame for so few to be released, particularly by older artists.

There were several fantastic tracks on From trash that could easily have been a single – Friendly Fire or Impossible would have got my vote! I always thought there was a missed opportunity there... but maybe it just wasn't financially viable.

But I agree Andreas, it's nice to have the odd single or EP release to compliment the albums and give home to new b-side material...

#38734 12/01/07 02:53 AM
alec Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
'Your Shadow' was the immediate favourite. smile
great track. all the tracks on 'drive ep' are absolute classics.

'your shadow' makes me wish that sometime john & louis invite gary numan in for some collab.

#38735 12/01/07 02:15 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Something else that fascinates me about this EP is the 'hidden track' between Making MOvies and Your Shadow.

Well, not hidden, but you know what I mean. That 1'40" piece at the end of Making Movies.

What do people think about that?

And another obsevration is that, ironically, I think "Drive' is the weakest track on it...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.