Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, briefly continuing the digression, '97 was also the worst year personally I've ever had, for reasons best kept to myself.

But with Depeche Mode's Ultra, Bowie's Earthling, Jarre's Oxygene 7-13 and Numan's Exile, I thought it was a golden time for good music. Of course, had I been into John's solo material at the time, that would have just been the icing on the cake!

I suppose the reason I started this thread was to find out if John's "comeback" was hghly promoted in the press, or if the two albums quietly slid their way on to the shelves...

Ok fair enough Alex . .funnily enough it's also the year I think I first started with internet, albeit on a very limited scale..

perhaps we should start an I Love 1997 thread...

BTW found a review of CO3 in an old-ish Q yesterday .. would you be interested in it for your site? Spoiler: it's unfavourable.

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I would certainly be interested in seeing it. I don't have any kind of media archive (yet!) so I'm not sure where it would go.

I do remember a scathing review - probably in Q - where they said John was singing so close to the mic, they could hear how closely he had shaved that morning.

I think that was a review for TPOE though.

Despite being an unfaily unfavourable review, that line did stick in my mind!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Both Cathedral Oceans and Shifting City were released on the 24th of March, 1997. The 1995 date (on both sleeves) refers to when the material was originally registered for publishing.
Okay, so I wasn't as late to the party as I was afraid I might have been. As frustrating as it sometimes is to know that some of you already have a CD that I may not get for a few more weeks, it's a lot better than reading about Ultravox in the fall of 1979 and not finding anything by FoxxVox until January 1981.

i have a similar story as the rest of you but i was in los angeles at rockaway records down the street from where i was living. confused, too, by the earlier date printed on 'shifting city' and really happy to see 'cathedral oceans.' i was really elated to find them and kept trying to imagine what the music was going to be like. when i saw louis gordon's name, i thought, for whatever reason, that it was going to be all-instrumental music.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.