Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#38474 10/01/07 09:43 AM
A
Adam Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Just to say what a superb show John put on at the ICA on Saturday. It was, without doubt, the best live gig I've seen of John's so far. TCM was far more polished than the Brighton premiere, with a suprising amount of (excellent) new music. The Metamatic gig itself was sublime. Hearing tracks such as Tidal Wave, Mr No and 030 was spine-tingling. It was like hearing Kraftwerk on steroids. I had to miss the performance of CO after that, but anyone seeing Metamatic at other venues are in for a treat.

Also, nice to see you Martin. I'd like to take you up on your offer re TCM. It would be nice to hear from you.

#38475 10/01/07 10:09 AM
N
N
Certainly was a good night. TCM was much more coherent with the subtitles and new intro's, the gig was phenomenal (I'd buy a DVD of it). Cathedral Oceans had surprisingly few attendees (people must of been waiting for John and Louis). It was good to see it on a big(ish) screen at full volume (which I can't do on my little telly). Couldn't stay for the VJ set due to trains, but did get to hear 'Being Boiled' before I left, a tantalising temptation to stay (and sleep on a park bench all night), but sense prevailed (sadly).

#38476 10/01/07 11:15 AM
F
F
Time for my review of the ICA, I guess smile

Well it was fairly well attended, mostly by a bunch of slightly dubious black-clad freaks who are far too old to be going to pop gigs. Some of them were even on the stage! laugh

TINY COLOUR MOVIES -
Well, I don't want my review of this to be a big grumble, but certain aspects of it did bring out the Victor Meldrews in me.

I guess, I suppose, that most people in that hall were ultimately there because, when they were teenagers, they liked "synthpop" - i.e. some guys singing pop songs played on synths. Tiny Colour Movies is not this, it is a load of largely beatless, wholly instrumental, abstract noodlings accompanying an hour or so of found fragments of bits of grotty film trims, home movies and super 8mm junk ... which just happens to have been done by some guy who used to make synthpop records we liked when we were teenagers. smile
I dunno about you, but I don't go to many other shows of largely beatless, wholly instrumental, abstract musical noodlings accompanying an hour or so of found fragments of bits of grotty film trims, home movies and super 8mm junk (are there any?? ;0) , so in a way this whole thing is a bit of a quaint indulgence for me.

Some points of practicality: I saw John do TCM in Brighton's Duke of York cinema last year. In a comfy seat, with a good view of a big screen.
At the ICA, I had to stand for an hour, craning my neck up at a modestly-sized screen, which (like all people under 6 foot standing in a crowd) I could only see the top 80% or so of, due to Other Tall People's Heads being in the way. By the end, my legs were tired and my neck ached. Conclusion: standing cinema sucks.
Also: the sounds was loud, with a very good quality full bandwidth PA... unfortunately, the ICA building had other ideas, and when fed extreme frequencies at that volume, it had a tendency to resonate rather irritatingly. At one point, there were even some rather psychoacoustically disorientating interference tones kicking off. The result was that some of the music, which was doubtless meant to be serene and stately, was actually rather physically assaultive. John himself fretted a couple of times afterwards that "I hope your ears are still alright"! Solution: TURN IT DOWN, GUYS! DUH!

Another Meldrewism I find with Tiny Colour Movies is what I dub "Mac User Syndrome" (probably most unfair as doubtless some PC users suffer from it to laugh )
By this I mean a slightly pretentious prattling about certainly arty subjects, blitheringly oblivious to the technical and practical realities of what is actually happening. (Standing cimema and assaultive serenity may already be examples of this, actually). But the main example of this Mac User Syndrome tonight is that, for all the blabber and gush about the "lusciousness" of old analogue film, it's grain and flicker and hairs, etc etc, what we see on the screen for much of the evening has involves a lot of:
- DIGITAL noise speckle from the projector
- DIGITAL MPEG compression artefacting (those unmistakeable blocky squibbling patterns)
- DIGITAL jaggyness around curves and edges, due to the limited line resolution.

I mean, of course, all the analogue imperfections are still there underneath... but I just find it bit daft to hear to much blether lauding them and no mention at all of all the equally visible digital artefacting laid on top. Do Mac Users genuinely not notice these things? ;-)

ANYWAYS...... so, once more, John got to live out his childhood fantasy of being the cinema organist at the Chorley Odeon smile He noodles away industriously at the side of the stage, under an indigo light, as the Tiny Colour Movies play. I couldn't honestly for the life of me tell what was on the backing track and what John was adding, but I didn't really seem to matter.

The movies themselves are sometimes intriguing, sometimes poignant, sometimes amusing, sometimes just "meh?". They're all preceded with some caption cards of introduction. (Minor gripe: another thing certain Mac Users need to understand is how to use a possessive apostrophe, and the difference between a hyphen and an m-dash ;-)
Many of these captions elicit chuckles from the audience, as they describe the rather unusual antics of the amateur film makers whose fragments we are viewing.

To be perfectly honest, at times I am unable to tell whether some of this footage is real, or part of some elaborate post-modern joke. The intros often read like dry little skits out of JG Ballard's "The Atrocity Exhibition". Has John actually just made half of this stuff up? Has he in fact shot some of it himself? Numerous continuity errors creep in - for instance, the shadow photos of New York are supposedly shot by a bank clerk on his way to work every morning... so what, he went to work by HELICOPTER?!? :rolleyes: (i.e. there is plenty of the footage clearly shot from the air).
Ultimately, does the authenticity of these images really matter? I don't suppose it does. It's a collage of junk, constantly hitting your retinas with scraps of the visual iconography of the 20th century, which invites you to make up your own narrative... perhaps John has already made up some of his own narratives about where these films came from... or perhaps every last word is true... that kinda misses the point, as most of the pleasure in what John wants this new art form to be is simply to be sifting through this cultural detritus and letting it tweak at your emotions. I guess it's kinda similar to the way you experience the world when you're very young (under 5 years old) and haven't hardly a clue what half the stuff you're seeing is all about.

From the musical point of view: a lot of John's soundtrack is very serene and ethereal - but it's also very pristine and electronically clean. Perhaps it's another Mac User Thing ;0) but I'd have thought someone who euologizes about the beauty of analogue imperfections in old film media would have twigged that the exact same thing applies to the audio medium too when he does the soundtrack!! No adding a bit of hiss and grain into his audio too? Frankly those big synthetic string swathes with their perfect treble rendered all the way up to 20kHz sound a bit too bright and brittle for the intended purpose in my view - if it was me, I'd bung them down on tape, reduce the bandwidth, roll off the top end, merge it into his, muffle it all with spring reverb...
The KURFURSDENAMM (or however you spell it wink piece is a little oasis in the soundtrack in that it has a drum machine in it. I like it a lot - very simple instrunental synthi stuff: TOO simple, you're not meant to be allowed to make a tune like that in 2006, you had to be Jean-Michel Jarre in 1976. But John has done it anyway, it's a wee gem. The chugging bass synth pulse of "Looped Los Angeles", John doing that thing where you put an echo on something and play against it as an off beat, is nice too.

So: Tiny Colour Movies there, marvellous. By turns intriguing, inscrutable, amusing, eerie, and quite possibly entirely made up. Although a comfy chair and turning the volume down would've made it a lot more enjoyable!

#38477 10/01/07 12:03 PM
Tiny Colour Movies is an ever-extending work of sheer genius and love. At Brighton it was excellent and interesting, now it has become sublime and absorbing. What will it be next? That's one of the many joys of TCM.

One of the points of TCM is the analogue versus digital edginess. 'Hand-Held Skies' is a perfect example of that, the imperfections of both media combine to comment on the timelessness of movie-making. Gorgeous.

And I think we all know by now that the concept of different featured film-makers is a construct created to provide Foxx with a framework within which to experiment with various ways of film-making........isn't it??

Altogether a magical night, with the opportunity to ask questions after the screening, a stonkingly good gig and the chance to chat with a tired but cheerful Foxx after the show.

It doesn't get much better than that.

mongrel

#38478 10/01/07 12:17 PM
F
F
(rather a long review this, innit?)

Anyways, John does a good half hour or so of Q&A session with we, the audience, after the Tiny Colour Movies, discussing all the latest Mac Software etc etc...)
I was listening out of more of his trademark entertaining bullsh*tting lol ... there was no mention this time of how his dreams have movie credits at the end, hah, but he did tell us that he believed film was organic and alive and that he kept watching for one that would do different things the next time he watched it. I could but chuckle and think "John, you've been watching too much Sapphire and Steel again" wink

Anyways, we shuffle out for a quick half in the interval,
then back in for The Main Course: METAMATIC.

First surprise - there's 3 performers on stage! Who's this Other Bloke in one corner with cans on and a couple of drum sticks? At the end it is revealed it is Steve D'Angostino, a name some trainspotters and readers of CD sleeves may be familiar with for his engineering credits of Foxx releases in recent years. John is in the middle, of course, with Mr Gordon on the right.

Well, unlike most gigs, I guess I don't really need to reveal the set list! Cos they played METAMATIC! in order! All of it.
Actually, they started with FILM ONE (B-side of Underpass), *then* they play the whole album.
And after 'touch and go', they left the stage, then came back and did the 3 tracks from the "No-One Driving" single, the MY FACE free yellow flexi with Smash Hits laugh and both sides of the BURNING CAR 7". Commendably thorough!

I must say, I'm all in favour of this "play an entire classic album" lark. These albums are great, and we wanna hear them all.

What was the performance like? Well it was great! They played all of Metamatic! (duh!) And they played it well smile What's not to like!

I was mildly intrigued to know how much of it was "really live" ... what with 3 people on stage now, were we getting more live playing and less backing track? Hard to tell. Cos the backing track seemed to my ears to actually just *be* Metamatic, lifted direct from the original 8-track multitrack? This was no "well, it's *almost* sounds like a real Roland CR78" updating of the the beats, no Exotour style "modernizing" of the material ...... I think it *was* the original material lol :-D With John singing over the top and Louis and Mr Other Bloke playing a few extra bits and keeping a tight rein on the submix.

Just to prove that it really is live, John hilariously misses his cue to come in on a few of more obscure songs.
There's a lot less dicking around with extended 8-minute-looping versions of the songs compared to recent tours, more sticking to "this song is 3'n'half minutes and has a tune and some verses". Much better for it, in my opinion.

One thing I do miss - bass guitar! (to be said in the voice of Vivian Stanshall). All the original bass parts seem to be replaced with fairly perfunctory bass synth stuff instead. I miss this most of the Ballardtastical "030", where the original has some lovely reverberant bass blowing across a deserted beach. I mean, I'd happily have played bass for them if they had asked /grins/

But yeah: basically, it's GREAT.
Burning Car and Underpass, for instance, have MUCH better synth sounds than on some recent outings: let's face it, the synth sounds from 1980 are just BETTER. And they have the proper Cr78 drum machine parts too. Which are wonderful!
Louis has fun panning John's vocals in "Metal Beat" (but nobody sings "SEAT, SEAT" to my disappointment... )

I am looking forward very much to hearing it all again in Brighton on Sunday!

.....afterwards -
slight confusion -
we file out for another encore, and Cathedral Oceans III is meant to be next (whilst "VJ's" will be holding court in the bar. Whether or not they're called Nathan Barley, I wouldn't know...)
However I get somewhat confused and think that Cathedral Oceans is gonna be taking place back in the main hall.... by the time I finish my swift half and realise it's *actually* taking place in "cinema 2", the bouncers tell me I can't go in cos it's "full".
I'm "but madam, I have a ticket!"
and she's "well yeah, but it only seats 45!"
I'm like "AHINE?" but shrug, think "well I have it on DVD anyways" and decide to just go and get my train instead.
Slightly confusing end to the night though, all a bit Mac User if you ask me :p

#38479 10/01/07 12:40 PM
Macs are great cool

#38480 10/01/07 12:51 PM
C
C
Quote:
but I didn't really seem to matter.
ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh

#38481 10/01/07 01:16 PM
F
F
typos rule! laugh

Did I say "Mac Users"? Perhaps I just meant "Aquarians" :p

#38482 10/01/07 02:42 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Just a quick note to let you all know that I've just posted up some pics from the ICA show here ...

Rob

#38483 10/01/07 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
You know me so well! LOL! laugh

#38484 10/02/07 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shGz4P__X2s

Mike barker has started putting some ICA footage up on YouTube.

Wonderful.

mongrel

#38485 10/02/07 12:04 PM
Quote:

What about Aquarians? :rolleyes:

#38486 10/02/07 12:09 PM
F
F
lol every knows that artistic Aquarians are infamous for getting into a tizzy about details and minutiae and "this is the way it has to be done" - whilst combining this with a head-in-the-clouds attitude, oblivious to numerous practicalities and realities (which often render the details that they're freaking out about virtually redundant)

#38487 10/02/07 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
[b]
What about Aquarians? :rolleyes: [/b]
People from the planet Aquaria. Aquaria was famously visited by the Fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane during the Aquarian war with the Daleks (Davros wasn't involved that time); also the site of a failed Federation trap set to capture Kerr Avon and Vila Restal; the source of an alien sex toy used in the fourth episode of Torchwood; and in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, its people learned that they had been led astray by a silly belief system, and with the help of Starfleet they might soon be able to use the technology ther ancestors had left behind (one of those Prime Directive episodes).

#38488 10/02/07 03:50 PM
Sounds good to me laugh

#38489 10/02/07 03:54 PM
Quote:
lol every knows that artistic Aquarians are infamous for getting into a tizzy about details and minutiae and "this is the way it has to be done" ...
Actually, I'm quite open to new ideas...

...just as long as they're mine, because I know I'm right!
wink laugh

#38490 10/02/07 09:34 PM
Anyone fancy pulling this thread back to the original topic?

mongrel

#38491 10/03/07 08:23 AM
OK - what was everyone's highlight(s) of the show?

#38492 10/03/07 08:32 AM
1. New, improved and enhanced TCM
2. Q&A
3. '21st Century','Touch & Go', 'Burning Car'
4. Relaxed chat and drinkies with Foxx and Gordon.

laugh

mongrel

#38493 10/04/07 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
[b] lol every knows that artistic Aquarians are infamous for getting into a tizzy about details and minutiae and "this is the way it has to be done" ...
Actually, I'm quite open to new ideas...

...just as long as they're mine, because I know I'm right!
wink laugh [/b]
That goes hand in hand with one of my favorite sayings: Everyone is entitled to my opinion laugh

#38494 10/04/07 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mongrel:
1. New, improved and enhanced TCM
2. Q&A
3. '21st Century','Touch & Go', 'Burning Car'
4. Relaxed chat and drinkies with Foxx and Gordon.

laugh

mongrel
I'll second that, Mongrel!

BTW - did I speak to you on Saturday? I don't know who you are! You must have seen me, and I must have seen you! laugh

Sarah laugh

#38495 10/08/07 12:40 PM
G
Gem Offline
G
Just wanted to say (somewhat belatedly!) that I had a fantastic night at the ICA, and it was really lovely meeting so many great people from Metamatic laugh . Great to see Rob, Will and, of course, the irrepressible Sarah B with Tessa and company wink . It was also very nice to find out that JF is an absolute sweetheart; friendly, willing to sign my CD booklet, and just generally very polite and lovely. Hooray!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.