Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#38215 10/09/07 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tokyohunter:
I've put my 4 clips up on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Tokyohunter
My camera locks the zoom during recording so I couldn't get Louis or Guy3 in my shots.
I agree with the previous comment about it being far removed from a quaint retro gig.
Anyone know if the Jansen/Gordon teamup will be released on cd in any form in the future?
Great set of videos there! Nice to be able to see a little bit of the gig(s) :-)

Thanks!

#38216 10/09/07 10:52 AM
S
S
Quote:
What kind of visuals did they have? [/QB]
Lots of vintage stuff, highway POV sequences and a HUGE chunk from Hitchcock’s Vertigo. The Saul Bass sequence worked especially well with Jimmy Stewart’s disembodied head accompanying the pounding electro! Was this the live VJ that was mentioned?

Louis’s name misspelled on both his own backing DVD projection and on the running order next to the ticket booth! Poor bloke. Next year’s gigs courtesy of Joan Boxx and Lewey Grodon laugh

#38217 10/09/07 10:59 AM
LMAO!!

Well at least they didn't put Louis Walsh!!

#38218 10/09/07 11:02 AM
Quote:
Was this the live VJ that was mentioned?
Aye - John Leigh was the VJ (red hair, sharp cheekbones....ring bells?) - but only for the Steve/Louis improv I THINK. I may be wrong - but I'm guessing the visuals for the main set were pre-recorded.

Quote:
Is this a seasonal deodorant?
Yup. Has a sudden smell of burning leaves.

I like fluffed lyrics - makes everyone more human.

mongrel

#38219 10/09/07 11:13 AM
Yeah I saw John Leigh's photo on his MySpace page, and noticed a good resemblence to a certain somebody.

#38220 10/09/07 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mongrel:
[QB] [QUOTE]Was this the live VJ that was mentioned?
Aye - John Leigh was the VJ (red hair, sharp cheekbones....ring bells?)

Funny you should say that,there is a picture on SarahB's myspace(Sherobot74) on the slideshow where I thought exactly the same...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=139640423

#38221 10/09/07 11:16 AM
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by mongrel:
Aye - John Leigh was the VJ (red hair, sharp cheekbones....ring bells?) - but only for the Steve/Louis improv I THINK. I may be wrong - but I'm guessing the visuals for the main set were pre-recorded.
T’other way round I think. Louis and Steve’s set was accompanied by a DVD played out from an Apple Mac (you could see the pointy finger icon pressing "play" at the start!) whilst there seemed to be some beat-matched image manipulation on the main set which must have been done live I would’ve thought.

#38222 10/09/07 11:22 AM
Straker,

You could well be right - but John Leigh was 'playing' throughout Steve and Louis' set - you could him at work just behind Steve.

But when the main set began my view of that part of the stage was obscured. You're right - those visuals could well have been live.

mongrel

#38223 10/09/07 11:40 AM
OP Offline
What a f**king great gig! Anyway, here’s my take on it…

Cargo is part of the fingers of railway arches that reach out from Liverpool Street station, stretching northwards, crossing a little known studio not two minutes away called The Garden. Entering the venue opened up a new treasure - the collaboration between Jansen and Foxx. From what I heard, this new music was clearly born out of the performance in Brighton with Harold Budd back in 2005, where Jansen performed a solo gong piece 'Lirio'.

Jansen brings out subtle tones and textures using malllets and then changing the way he attacks the different areas of the gong (which, from memory was roughly 5ft wide). John has added Cage-like treated piano and what sounded like industrial/factory sounds: lifts descending a shaft, shutters closing (I'm not saying these are the sounds exactly, just what it sounded like). If you've heard 'Plight and Premonition' by Jansen's brother - David Sylvian alongside Holger Czukay, that's as close as I can get to a reference point.

The 'support act' was Louis and Steve. Starting with an ambient drone piece this segued into a very strange version of Bowie's "Heroes" - Louis and Steve liberating Bowie's original '77 vocal and putting a new spin on it music-wise. The whole set had the feel of a mix-tape created by Kurt Schwitters, William S. Burroughs and 'Paul's Boutique'-era Beastie Boys (subliminal request follows: IF THERE'S A COPY OF THIS! I WANT IT!)

After that: the main event. I need to mention at this stage that VJ Kaborn is live mixing film footage throughout the Metamatic set - and top notch it is too. Kaborn keeps the film almost completely black and white noir footage, occasionally breaking out in 50s Kodachrome colour. It lifts the whole show: Metamatic as Tiny Blackandwhitenoirfootageoccasionallybreakingoutin50sKodachromecolour Movies. Anyway, back to the show and talking of films...

John kicks off with 'Film One' - I've read reviews of other gigs that say the sound is poor etc. Thankfully, Cargo has one of the best sound-systems in London - the bass, sub-bass goes right through you, the synths don't screech or shrill and the acoustics are absolutely superb. I've read also that there's an argument along the lines of 'Is it live, or is it Memorex?' about the shows; well, admittedly I didn't see a CR78 and John stopping to press Rock 1/Rock 2/Rhumba or whatever, but IT WAS LIVE! Sampled CR78 patterns synced with some really nice kick drum sounds bolstered the phut-pishhhht of the original rhythms. The lead synth sounds were distinctly Metamatic-esque but new, modern, bright and wide. Some subtle updating and reshaping had been done and no doubt when a recording of the gigs is issued it’ll kill that argument stone dead.

Highlights of the ‘Metamatic’ set for me were a thunderous skull-snapping ‘Metal Beat’, a widescreen ‘No-One Driving’, ‘Blurred Girl’ – my favourite Foxx song of all time and a psychedelic blissed-out ‘Touch and Go’. Highlights of the encore were ‘Burning Car’ followed by ‘20th Cebtury’ – the bass on these two kept rising throughout - taking our ribcage as well as our hearts. What a f**king great gig!

I’d like to thank Sarah, Peter and Rob for my prezzies! Many, many thanks! Should keep me out of mischief for quite a while! I’d also like to apologise to Sarah for the sudden formation of the Metamatic Dusty Springfield Appreciation Society (members: 2) wink , and promise that there will not be a sudden Metamatic Dusty Springfield Appreciation Society AGM in November. And I hope Mr Normall got home safe – you came a looooooooooooong way, I hope you enjoyed it, I know I did!

Garry

#38224 10/09/07 11:44 AM
What a top review! Thanks Garry. A pleasure to read.

Glad you had a good time.

The venue sounds like the perfect location for a Foxx gig.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.